Register now to get rid of these ads!

weathering paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41chev, Aug 21, 2006.

1. 41chev

41chev
    from kennewick

i know its fake and not really the coolest thing to do but i really like that look but couldnt have the real deal casue my cab was alomost every color of the rainbow red right door rusty left door blue back panel and red dash

so whats the best way to get a real convincing good look other than paintin it and leavin it outside for 20 years

i know i want the top to be like an ivory tan color i think:confused:

2. 41chev

41chev
    from kennewick

3. Street Rodder magazine had an article two or three years ago. Sorry, I don't think I still have the magazine.

4. soloma

soloma
    from ontario

bump i would like to know too!!!!

5. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

shoot, I'd think primering it one color, letting it set up, then repainting, and sanding lightly through that would do the trick? The trouble will be making it look like you DIDN'T fake it, there's really no way to do that except time..........

6. rebstew187

rebstew187

all kinds of ways to do it.sand the car down bare, then mist on a light coat of grey primer not enough to cover it just a mist.enough to show color.enough to see the grey but let the metal show through a bit.sit it outside and let it rain.you can even take some 1200 wet & dry and rub it on the parts that gets the most wear.around door handles tops of the doors where your arm would sit.It may take it a month or so to start showing.you can always water your car when you water the grass every night.lol.this is what I was going to try.I've seen some good lookin' fakes .but when you get close to them you can see its not the real deal.lets face it it not going to be perfect unless it sits outside for 30 years, but we can get close. I like this car ,snatched it off hamb or somewhere.

Attached Files:

7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

just paint it right.... dont go for that look

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

9. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

phoe-tina is dumb.

10. no one calls the rolling bones cars gay because of their faux paint job.

11. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

touche'

12. Right on.

In the Street Rodder article mentioned above, the truck was painted first in Blitz Black to seal it up. Next it was painted by brush with a gray-blue enamel house paint. The paint was hand-sanded smooth, and through to the black in the places you'd expect it to be worn through: edges, tops of fenders and hood, etc. There was also a lot of artistic air-brush work done to simulate rust, stains, etc. Not an amateur job at all. It's a LOT of work to do right, more work than a shiney paint job.

13. DrJ

DrJ

I bet you pay big bucks for designer bleached and pre-torn jeans too.... :rolleyes:

What are you building, a car or a fucking movie prop!?!?

Chili Phil likes this.
  14. Rocko

Rocko

:D the easiest way I know of is buy a car from Pennsylvania. we've got all the rusty metal and patina stuff you'd ever want.

15. haring

haring

You can always tell a fake patina paint job.

It's not my cup of tea, but if you do it, at least do with some intention. I recently worked on a truck that had fauxtina and there was "wear" in places that would never seen any stress under real conditions. That really killed the effect.

BarryA likes this.
  16. haring

haring

I have a Hanes olive drab t-shirt that has holes in it as well as a bleach stain that looks vaguely like a dragon (if you squint).

I have a buddy who wears $100+ jeans from Diesel (a ridiculously expensive trendy clothing company), and when I wear the shirt I joke that it's my $50 Diesel t-shirt.

17. paint it and buff it. lean a little hard on the buffer with the coursest polishing compund you can find, it'll burn through trust me.

Then wax the shit out of it and it'll look like an old one you rescued and waxed.

or just do something entirely off the wall paint it and leave it painted,park it under trees and or out in the sun and rain and whatever weather. If you keep it waxed with a decent wax (not that liquid shit), clean the sap off at least once in awhile eventually your paint will weather, you'll have the real deal a car you can be proud of because you built it a long time ago and now its a real survivor. That'll be probably about the next time that trad rods make a comeback. Say another 30 years or so?

18. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Yes....fake rust is gay....no fucking way around it.

Refresh my memory...whats a rolling bone?

19. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

[​IMG]

20. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

PM Grumpy on the HAMB. His wife did his truck several years (and many vehicles) ago. She did a great job with red oxide primer, britz black and a top coat of medium blue (I think with a brush) then used scothbrite pads. He also had the doors lettered b4 they started with the scotchbrite pads.

21. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Thanks for the picture 35pickup.
    Yes....love the cars....But man....wouldnt it be nice in some GLOSSY black paint?
    Or hell...even in primer. But this fake thing bothers me...more so on the Rolling Bones car cause its SUCH a nice car to go out on it like that.

22. ol fueler

ol fueler

Weathering is something model railroaders do---- not hot rodders.

wojojo likes this.
  23. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Actually there are about 5 or 6 cars that came out of the Rolling Bones shop. That car is just one of them. To their credit... they do THE BEST faux patina. It looks really good. 3WLarry had a lot of work done by them... his is dressed up...
    [​IMG]

24. see I dont think the Rolling Bones guys are going for fake rust on this hot rod, its more a fade, "washed" old paint color showing thru look which I like, now fake rust is pretty gay I guess. This hot rod is not!

25. haring

haring

This is the truck I worked on. No offense meant to the previous owners, but the truck looks very similar to tv commercial props I've worked with. The truck looks weathered in photos, but up close, it appears to have been painted with house paint and brushes, and most definitely not authentic.

26. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I did my coupe with krylon spray cans.
    It was fun,doing a bad job on purpose.
    I painted my first car when I was 14.
    This was the first time I ever painted a car with spray cans.

I even had my kids help,because I couldn't do runs like a 8 year old.

Wiped off the dirt with a oily rag,scotch brite the whole car.
    Sprayed it with semi-gloss black,then primer grey(splotchy,then a heavy coat of Ruddy brown primer.Sanded with 240 (cuz I had it) then buffed with coarse compound bought at Auto-Zone.
    Then waxed it all.Looks old,it was fun,and the whole deal cost $40.00?

Attached Files:

27. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

It seems kinda weird to do, but depending on intentions it might be alright. Doing it as a trend, to make a rat rod I can't get behind. Doing it in a way to acknowledge and present the age of the car I might be into. That's what I really don't like about street rods. In a way, atleast to me, they hide the fact that the car is old. I embrace the fact that an old piece of machinery can still be used today. It's almost like how folks go out of their way hunting for old parts at swap meets and yards. Yea, it's doing things the way they were done back then but it also acknowledges the era that produced these cars. However, I suppose the same effect can be had through color choice too. No neon purple or what have you.

28. haring

haring

If I came off sounding harsh, I should say that I do appreciate bad paint jobs, if they are done with obvious intention.

I have a scooter -- obviously not real HAMB material -- that is a 3-time "Best Rat Bike" winner. It is painted metalflake gold w/o clearcoat (because metalflake is the new primer black) and I didn't prep or mask anything, except the wires in the headset. The rear cowls are as-is from parts bikes. The bike is missing the speedometer, ignition switch, all indicator lights, and has no horn or turn signals. The front turn signals are painted gold. Overall, the bike is stupid fast and looks like hell. Sweet.

Oh, and that rusty chunk out of the rear cowl is actually rust, which was exposed when a 1/2" block of bondo fell out. In my defense, I didn't do the work, but the poor workmanship is comical.

On the flip side, I am working on a show scooter that currently has more into paint and chrome than many people have into their cars.

Both ends of the spectrum are cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Cshabang

Cshabang

don't buff any part of the cars( that actually does the reverse...makes it way to shiny...and look fake)...all the work is done before the paint is laid...then its hand polished...patinad paint isn't for everyone, but then again...not everyone cares for big billet or trendy designs right...hahahaha....but one important key to be aware of wear the wear would be...

30. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Buffing Krylon doesn't make it too shiny.