Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Sun Tune Up, Testers, Scopes, Analyzer, Distributor Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Oct 14, 2013.

1. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I haven't tested it yet but it has cool graphics.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      214.6 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      159.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. I managed to get my Sun scopes display to work by checking it in the dark while spraying an electrical cleaning agent with lubricant on all the scopes pots.

Spraying and rotating the pots to clean the gook outta them and it finally came to life.
    Doing it in the dark allowed me to ascertain that it did light up but would not display.

Oldmics

3. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Mike,
    let me look at a couple of timing light only sets, sure looks like what is pictured, no advance knob/resistor. I got stuff stashed in 4-5 places it isn't always easy to find!

Oldmic
    I have power to the crt heater, yes I clean my boards, pull connectors reconnect. The crt's have a jobber aka Sun number but not a "standard " tube if number so I don't know how to check the feed to the tube. Have a Sencore crt tester.
    My 1st sun machine the trace was dull, he was told the tube was going bad, so I got it cheap, pulled plastic overlay off, tube face was covered with dust and soot. cleaned the boards in that one too! I put filter material over the fan intakes on the newer ones. I used that one for 10 years and sold it for twice as much as I paid for it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  4. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Mike,
    does this look like the timing light you need? 4 wires but a self contained set. I think they were used in our military, so maybe easier to find than a commercial Sun timing light.
    only one wire to light, 2 to battery for power and one for the pick up. so looking at your pic it maybe a 4 pin but maybe only one wire attached??? I have part of a old sun machine in a shed but the power is out down there, wires came down in a storm, have not replaced them.

suntimlite01.jpg

suntimlite02.jpg

suntimlite03.jpg

it is surprisingly heavy!!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  5. Oldtimermichel

Oldtimermichel
    from Germany

Hi oldgoaly,

to many, many thanks for your efforts.
    Your timing light will not fit with me :( , DC 12V?.., look on my wiring-plan in this Thread on the page 5 from 12-30-2013 10:52 AM.

Greetings from Germany
    Michel/Mike

6. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Mike
    it say 6v 12v 24v on the cover. hard to see the connector in the pic.

7. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Mike,
    Good news I have a Sun 900 in the shed, bad news no timing light!

sun900a01.jpg

sun900a02.jpg

sun900a03.jpg

What do you think of a replacement like this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amphenol-91...ale-Panel-Mount-4-pin-connector-/141195873752
    one would need to disassemble the meter, undo the lock ring, should be a number on female socket.

must be over my limit on pics as they are not showing up???
    tried fixing the pics? did it work??? looks like it in preview.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  8. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

9. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

FHJ,
    add about 70$ in shipping and import fees, that connector sure does look like a amphenol

10. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

ya I agree it look like a amphenol, i ended up finding that I have the timing light that OTM is looking for but its in really rough shape and goes with a machine I have. Its a future project so I want to hang on to it. I haven't seen the light he is looking for on ebay in a while but I bet once one pops up five will follow. Seems things pop up in waves.

11. Oldtimermichel

Oldtimermichel
    from Germany

Hi Johnny @ oldgoaly,

12. RAM AIR 400

RAM AIR 400
    from MN

flathead johnny, What is a complete sun 300 tune up tester with cabnet worth? Its been in dry storage but i doubt it will work, Also a nice sun 500 dist machine with cabnet. I know the battery operated rpm & dwell meter would have to be updated with the parts from Mark saunders @parmount dist. sun dwell & rpm meter on wheel stand and a vat28 on wheels all have been in dry storage unused for 40 years

13. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

oldgoaly, if you're willing to sell the 900 message me please. Thanks.

14. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I bought my working 300 for $250 on ebay. So probably around there for what its worth or less if its not working....i haven't bought a 500 yet and without pictures i couldn't give you are idea

15. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I just bought a Sun dist machine it is a MDT model. I have no clue how to use it or make it work yet, but i will. I gave 200 bucks for it including the bottom cabinet. I am looking for a manual for it if anyone has one for sale or could copy one for me.

16. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

I managed to score a Sun 506, along with the cabinet. It has a xenon bulb, and will spin a dizzy 6000 rpm. The bulb was burnt out, and some diodes were bad. If you can read a basic electrical schematic it's easy to fix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dog_Patch likes this.
  17. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Go to the first post of this thread. I have a link that will bring you to online sun distributor manuals

18. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

very nice, i can't wait to get a distributor machine

19. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

anyone get their hands on some new sun stuff lately?

20. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

if it ever thaws out...
    dug up a few Sun brochures that I didn't know were there. posts in the social group.
    I'd like to find a flathead distributor adapter, I'd cast a couple, if I can find some GOOD help! this growing old ain't for sissy's!
    We could sure use some more people to share manuals and stuff, plenty of takers, needs some more givers! ok off soap box now!

21. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Funny I was thinking yesterday of doing some flathead adapter castings also......the market needs more!

22. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

I've got the aluminum and the casting equipment, need a real one to make up a pattern from. I can pour 12 lbs at a time via a ladle, 70 pounds in the pot. there is 3-400 pounds of ingot ready!

alingot03.jpg

alingots04.jpg

hotalumpot1.jpg

23. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

you have a nice set up......i have homemade casting equipment made from a 30 gallon hot water tank and a furnace blower motor.....I have about 200 thick aluminum wheel spacers as ingots

24. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

so today i sacrificed a few sun machines.......I don't feel great about it but they were just to far gone for repair. I broke them down for spare parts.....i will post picture later

25. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Some picture from todays massacre

Attached Files:

26. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Some picture from todays massacre

Attached Files:

27. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

oh ya and this sun tester was in a fire and has smoke and heat damage put provided some good spare parts

28. Hey Johnny, cool thread. I subscribed when you started it as I have a Sun 1120 I bought a couple decades ago that I was hoping for help with. Everything is there and working except my scope. The screen glows when you power it up but I can't get it to draw a trace and the machine came with no documentation. I used to work on "computers" in the 70's so I knew about component level troubleshooting and replacement at one time, but without a schematic I'm a little hesitant to tear this thing apart. Any chance you or a member would be interested in a brief tutorial?

Attached Files:

29. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i don't have any schematics but if you had component level trouble shooting in the past it should come back. Just pop it open and take a look with a multimeter maybe its a easy fix. Take off the back panels and there will be a bolt on each side of the scope, take those off and unplug the back plug and slide the scope out. Undo the bolts on the from and back of the scope case and pop it off and you're in business.

30. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

and take picture and report back :)