Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Not sure on the owner or the year, but it looks like a stretched Midget from here. My memory needs refreshing on the owner's name, but Schindler and Johnny Thomson both lost their lives in the same car, and I'm wondering if this is it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

It is. 1951 (Earl) Beal/Offy, out of Norristown/PA. Reputedly a Bud Sherk Midget before the "stretch job". In the background is another stretched Midget, Johnnie Parson's #38 Autobrite Special. The Beal car was #2 in 1952, then #83 in '53 and #19 in '54 when it was bought by Ken Hickey, then added to the Sam Traylor stable later that year. Ran as a Traylor team car for many years, #5 in '55, #9 in '56 and #2 again in '57, #3 in '58 and #1 in '59 when Hickey bought it back. Sold to Doug Stearly in 1960 as #6 for Johnny Thomson's last ride. Dick Pratt had it in 1961 with SBC as #20, then Bobby Marvin in '62 as #76. Not sure what happened to it afterwards.

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That car was owned by someone with a welding company in NW Ohio while Bobby Marvin had it, and was last positively photographed at the IMCA Winternats with an extension running from the roll bar down to the rear bumper. Bobby Marvin and his partner had leased it during the time they ran it. There was considerable effort put into tracking it down about 10 years ago, but it didn't turn up anywhere. Thank you @Michael Ferner for once again coming up with the info.

chryslerfan55 and Carter like this.
  4. SteezePA

SteezePA

Hello all! Man, how great is it to see all these pictures of racing history!
    On and around page 464 there is many pictures of my Grandfathers Sprintcar.. #17 Smith Specialty / Smiths Trucking - Driven by Billy Vulkovich (Also i believe AJ Foyt 1 or 2 times at Terre Haute or PA based local track)

Myself ive never met my grandfather, as he passed years before I was thought about being born.. My father, John Smith raised me and my 2 other brothers around his 410 Winged Sprintcar Career in his young adulthood.
    My oldest brother and I took a great liking to dirt racing and we invested our time at a young age making sure dad got to the races with help!
    Growing up watching my dad, seeing my brother start to race gokarts, my dad taking a step back to allow my brother race in a 358 winged sprint @selinsgrove speedway straight from gokarts instead of himself, to my dad completely taking a step out of racing to provide for me starting in gokarts.. we would then take the turn to my brother and I working together in 600 micro sprints with our dad as the CrewChief, as we are gathering wins at every track we touch base with, becoming dominant as a name in the area.. now my father , my brother , and myself all have raced against eachother and have each taken a win in the same class, aswell as finishing 1st 2nd and 3rd Smith Sweep in a full car field!

Looking back at the 10 years of learning and success in my racing career, id love to have my grandfather see the family legacy continue, in success.. its been 4 years of dominating in 600 Winged Microsprints in the Tri-State area (PA,NY,NJ) everywhere we go.
    2024 starting.. 305 Winged Sprint team cars between my brother and I , along with a 360 Wing Sprint, looking to expand our talent and skill across the tristate, leading into more opportunities!

Our racing family talk about it all the time, but i bet my grandfather would be proud, and i thank you people for supplying pictures of his racing history!

I can only imagine how proud ALL of our parents/grandparents are that brought us all into racing and are no longer around to see us succeed. Thank you all, and best of luck with your racing careers to come or to be continued!
    7250e65e60b8cadee71db707baad45c8.jpg 17 smith trucking IMG_2523.JPG 2s mikey smith 3rd generation racing (4th-1st) @clinton countys inaugural wingless 600 event!
    PICTURE FOR RACE RESEMBLENCE

5. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I wish I had been on the hamb when this thread was started. Have gotten thru less than half so far.

But I've got some questions about the following pictures posted back on page 145 as I see them:
    roybryant11lnance.jpg MM11b440.jpg
    Both of these are Nance supermodifieds. And I remember from Nance's catalog that they had those deuce coupe bodies in fiberglass. I understand that some of their molds still exist. Does anybody know if the molds for these deuce coupe bodies are still around? And if so who has them and would it be possible to get one made?

Could be interesting to see one used for a small streetable hot rod. Thanks for any information.

6. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Here's a page from one of their catalogs showing the deuce body at the top:
    scan0005.jpg

7. sramoa

sramoa

Carl Young and his Toodie Special end of the 1920s years

Attached Files:

8. sramoa

sramoa

Lew Shingle from east Coast in early 30s years

Attached Files:

lurker mick and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. sramoa

sramoa

Tilman Huset and his Willys Special, 1929 "Northwestern Champion" at the Sioux Falls Speedway track championship

Attached Files:

10. sramoa

sramoa

R. M. Hocker from Louisville,KY with his Allstate Tires Spl from 1931

Attached Files:

11. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe Speedway has the body molds. My brother ran a modified with the Victoria body like the one pictured, and got it from Speedy Bill

tractorguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Any idea who may know at Speedway if they have the deuce body molds? I've seen the Vicky body on their website, but not the coupe.

jebbesen likes this.
  13. I know Foyt drove a red/white Steve Stapp car in the 1960's, but the question is DID FOYT EVER DRIVE THIS STEVE STAPP CAR IN THIS BLACK LIVERY? Thanks!

Attached Files:

14. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Yes, he did:

1965-07-17 Reading/PA 4th
    1965-08-28 Minnesota SF 3rd (not 100 % sure)
    1965-08-29 Minnesota SF 5th (ditto)
    1966-09-11 Terre Haute/IN 3rd (same livery, but #8)

The red/white Stapp car, do you mean the Ziggy Snider/Harold Murrell #22? If so, that was the same car, after the Bopper was through with it.

15. foyt sprinter3.jpg foyt stapp 66a.jpg
    Thank you. By "red/white" I was thinking of this Foyt car and making sure A.J. drove the Stapp car in black livery.
    foyt sprinter3.jpg

Can anyone confirm the color of this Stapp car which A.J. drove in '66 at Terre Haute? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    Dean Lowe and tractorguy like this.
  16. It appears at Reading in '65, Foyt wasn't in the Stapp car.
    But I could be wrong.
    This is a '65 program from Reading

image_2024-04-05_124142240.png

jimmy six likes this.
  17. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

The program is from the 1965 Reading Fair race in September - Foyt drove the Stapp #4 in July.

18. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

That was in the seventies, and I think it was still the same car (but am not sure).

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Then the black car A.J. drove in the mid '60's would also be the car Larry Dickson drove in 1968?

tractorguy likes this.
  20. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Well, scratch that - brain fart! Clearly two different cars.

No, but maybe Dickson's '68 ride became the Foyt #11? Does anyone know?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  21. sramoa

sramoa

Have you got info about this "Toodie Special"? Who was the owner and what was this car? Miller or Fronty?

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket