Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

2. swi66

swi66

This reminds me so much of Shea's Buffalo Theater which was saved by visionaries who would not let it be knocked down for yet another parking lot. The support has been tremendous and it now hosts one of the most successful "Broadway" seasons in the country.
    They still have their "Mighty Wurlitzer" organ which is usually played prior to performances.
    http://www.theatreorgans.com/ny/buffaloarea/sheas/sheas.htm

http://www.pbase.com/kjosker/sheas

I go there regularly for shows.
    Place is amazing.

But so many of these palaces are now long gone.
    Such a waste.
    Can you imagine the cost of building something like this now?

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right on, SWI! And following on Post 28,711, HERE's the type of entertainment not generally deemed
    high-brow enough to be featured at the palaces of the Golden Era! Flappers and vamps were generally
    for the clubs, speakeasies and vaudeville circuit, though Al Jolson's "The Jazz Singer" made this type
    of music and antics more palatable to the main stream, if not high society.

[​IMG]

This LP album currently on eBay, if anyone digs the era.

4. Hermcarnut

Hermcarnut

5. igorw

igorw

I was only in the Fox once when I was 10 or 11 (my uncle Tony ran it), now it seems there aren't any acts worthy of a venue of that sort.:(

[

QUOTE=farmergal;6819268]We have a very old and very prominant theater here in CT thathas been sitting vacant for years. Its very large and it was absolutely stunning inside. Not quite as extravegant as the photos posted here; but it is as detailed and as beautifully designed as these. Multiple groups have tried to save the poor place but it's so large; no volunteer groups can afford it. the City refuses to step up to the plate and assist and theyre just going to let it fall into disrepair. It's still in pretty decent shape although the roof is starting to leak. The carpets are the original velvet. It's quite the place. If you get the chance; look up the Loews Poli Theater, Bridgeport, CT[/QUOTE]

6. stratocharger

stratocharger

The ford Futura aka the Batmobile, which sure lost it's ground hugging stance over time... (copies?) none the less seems to have presaged the entire Personal Luxury Car parade of the '60s and seventies. I thought I'd dig through my downloads of the past few years.

7. stratocharger

stratocharger

Hey! how'd that AMX get in there?.. Bit of a mix and match but i figure you'll get my drift.

8. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Looks like that Cadillac was cross bred with a 65 Marlin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. stratocharger

stratocharger

Sorry if any of these are re-posts...

10. stratocharger

stratocharger

Being a huge Charger fan I have a large collection of photos of Mopes, & my particular interest is just how close it became to being turbine powered.

11. stratocharger

stratocharger

Charger early design studies Cont. ("Monte Carlo" was another name considered).

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

;);):cool:

13. stratocharger

stratocharger

Yes it does, over at www.dodgecharger.com we got into an interesting discussion over who was stealing what designs from whom - that whole fast back/tunnel back double diamond '66 GTO Vs. '68 Charger and "Coke Bottle" trend. Plus, everyone always comments on how much the Chrysler Ghia Turbine looked like a T-bird. I'm sure glad they went in an entirely new direction when the Charger was finally introduced.

14. stratocharger

stratocharger

and while we're on the subject..

15. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

Here is a link to a Feb 1958 edition of Popular Science that has an article on how and why the automakers spy on each other. The article includes the famous story about how both Ford and Pontiac had similar spinner grilles set for '49. The spying prevented Pontiac from looking like they had copied Ford and they did a crash program to come up with a new grille.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3C...&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The similarity of the Chrysler Turbine car of '63 to the T-Bird was because it was designed by Elwood Engle (famous for the slab-side Lincoln and T-Bird) who Chrysler had lured away from Ford to design the car.

16. stratocharger

stratocharger

Of course! any car nut worth his salt knows that.. Thanks for the link to that article.

17. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

Say, do you think the second guy from the left is Joe Biden?

18. roddinron

roddinron

I feel your pain farmergal, it's so frustrating to watch our past greatness deteriorate like that. Too bad the dollar rules, but I guess buildings have to "earn their living" just like the rest of us. That building is priceless art IMO, and could never be built today, which is reason enough to preserve it, but then again, where's the money. It never should have been left to deteriorate to that point, and even if restored now, probably will never reach it's original level of grandeur. Unfortunately, if someone doesn't step up and at least fix that roof, it's fate is sealed. Lets hope that some group can at least afford to stop the leaks and buy it a little more time, but in today's economy, I'm afraid that buildings days may be numbered.:(
    Very frustrating to watch this happen all over our country, I've seen so many irreplaceable buildings disappear around here, such a shame:mad:

19. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

on the Charger last picture.
    If you look close the rear quarter panel is wrinkled up very bad ???????????

20. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

21. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

22. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

Homemade automobile, Lubec, 1935

Back to Search Results
    [​IMG]
    Item 35685 zoom [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.

Description

The annotation written on the rear of this 1935 photo reads, “Gene Rier and Bud McCaslin in front of Rier’s garage, with car they built in 1934.” Rier and McCaslin are long-established Lubec family names.

23. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

CCC trucks, Alfred, 1935

Back to Search Results
    [​IMG] Item 26878 zoom [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Description

Trucks are lined up at the Civilian Conservation Corps camp in Alfred. The trucks took CCC crews around the area to do tree disease and insect control work under the supervision of the Maine Forest Service.

24. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"you talkin' ta me?"

26. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

27. yellerspirit

yellerspirit