Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wish... Nowadays everyone has 40' Motor homes with Flat screen TV's in every room and a washer and dryer. :eek:

2. Fixed - I think. It looked okay to me but changed it I hope. LMK. ron

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I can read the word Rustem, but my military Russian from 50 years ago isn't up to par. What does it mean?

4. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Ah yes "vernacular" While working at EDAVille Rail Road a steam train museum I had to teach a youngun about vernacular I was at the resturaunt getting my lunch when the young lady behind the counter who was always friendly and would always smile and go out of her way for a customer looked totally exasperated!She stood there with several bags of potato chips on the counter infront of her and a family stood there equally perplexed. I asked what was going on and she told me the family was asking for potato chips but she had showed them every brand they had to no availe with that the woman standing with the family started explaining how had this young lady was trying to please them but couldn't find what they wanted 3 large sacks of chips! Just hearing the lady speak solved all their problems ( very heavy British accent). I told the young lady behind the counter "bring them 3 large orders of french fries and bring vinegar" I got "But they want potato chips!" Being from New England I simply asked her do you order"fish and french fries? or Fish and chips?" that's the "Sack of CHIPS they mean"Now I had to expain to all how I could translate "English to English" and further knew the secret of the vinegar too! It was easy My maternal line started with moms grandparents who came her from northern England and Ireland. Same reason I got all the otherwise useless information of Winkles I've eaten plenty!

5. 1937 DeFuniak(?) Springs Florida
    [​IMG]

6. 1941. Packard Engine Plant, Detroit. Marine engines? Hard to tell:

[​IMG]

7. 1940, Unknown exact Florida location
    [​IMG]

8. 1949 Corpus Christie TX
    [​IMG]

9. Betty Grable, looks like about 1942-3
    [​IMG]

10. 1942 Tulsa, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

11. Source sez 1943, US29 someplace in Georgia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 1960 near Sarasota Florida
    [​IMG]

13. 1939 Minneapolis Minnesota
    [​IMG]

14. RamJet1

RamJet1

I believe Packard built the three V-12s that were used in PT boats. Maybe these are for those?

15. According to my Old Cars Standard Catalog of AMERICAN CARS 1946-1975 Buick built and sold the mid year 1949 Roadmaster Riviera 76R two door hardtops which had a base price of $3203 and included the 320 cubic inch straight eight engine, dynaflow transmission, leather interior and power windows.

16. lewislynn

lewislynn

Photo taken at a car show?...< /sarcasm >

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. 20 or so years ago I picked up several boxes of pics, cards, mags, etc at an estate sale, mostly from the 30s and 40s. One box had dozens of WWII era postcards in it; some were like new but others had been mailed. This one was postmarked Jul 7th 1942 at Fox Lake ILL. From Bill to Bruno: "You ought to see the stuff around here in shorts. Some pins! (?) You should be here."

One wonders if these guys made it back after the war. . .
    [​IMG]

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"ARE those for real"??????????????----MERCY!!!!!!

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Go ahead"---I'll give you a 5 second head start!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. silversink

silversink

Used to be called the suicide bridge because of all the jumpers

22. Another one, dated Mar 22d 1943, Corvallis, OREG. Sez on back: "Dearest Lorraine, Honey when I get in next time Cpl Philips is comming with me, can you have the spare room fixed up. Honey don't go to to much work, he's just a plain guy. Love, Hap"

[​IMG]

23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NAH Jimi, its earlier, like a 1948, & granny is in front of the "pillars" between the doors, don't think Buick made a 4dr. "hardtop" back then.

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's how we went camping with our new 1963 Ford wagon,---Paper license in rear side window!

Attached Files:

25. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

WWII era and a bit beyond "Pins"=legs! so Some pins! means the same as What legs!

26. RandNoel

RandNoel
    from Las Vegas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.