Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1936 (I wish these pics were more clear)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. "...coffee - five, donut five, coffee and donut ten. . ." - or so the song goes. These pics from 1935

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1941 Royal Crown Cola taste test booth
    [​IMG]

4. matcodave

matcodave

No, Art took his Cyclops Green Monster and removed the pontoons and continued to run it at Drag Strips - changing the engine from a J47 to a J79. Craig several years latter built his own boat using a J85 jet engine. He was killed around the late 80's or very early 90. Craig was traveling around 370 mph on the water when he crashed. Sadly his Mother (Gertie) and father (Walt), brother Terry and
    Craigs son watch the whole thing from shore. True lose of a close friend.

5. [​IMG]
    photo: LIFE onlinephotoarchives

6. Count the stars on the flag?

7. swi66

swi66

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

The Memorial Colosseum - Portland, Oregon. It was dedicated January 8th 1961. Judging from the cars seen here (the few '64 Chevy's among others) means that this is sometime after 1964. The lights, buses in background and the full parking lot mean it is a big event (obviously one big enough to warrant the outside being photographed at night)....so this very well could have been taken when The Beatles played the Colosseum on August 22nd, 1965 in front of 22,000 screaming fans as part of their 1965 American tour.

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Posted by RaceRon

[​IMG]

The comment or question was asked about this ad, utilizing a demeaning stereotype, being actually
    acceptable in 1940. Not only accepted but very commonplace. This guy is using poor grammar,
    Aunt Jemima had her cliche' head rag, Uncle Ben, if I recall, was portrayed as just a waiter or
    butler. Lynchings were down after 1935, but Jim Crow was still in swing. Stepin' Fetchit (Lincoln
    Perry) was a popular comedic movie draw, African-American ballplayers were still confined to the
    "Negro leagues," Rochester (Eddie Anderson) was Jack Benny's butler on radio -- and about as
    cliche' as Jack's Maxwell car. And scores of stage and screen entertainers (including African-
    Americans) were still performing in "black-face" makeup. Wikipedia shows that more than a dozen
    score of entertainers appeared in black-face, at least on occasion.

Here are just a few who did so, just in the '30s and WWII years: John Wayne, James Cagney, Myrna
    Loy, Oliver Hardy, Stan Laurel, Will Rogers, Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, Bing
    Crosby, Bob Hope, James Stewart, Shirley Temple, Spencer Tracey, Mae West, Al Jolson, Fred
    Astair, Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Jack Benny, Milton Berle, Joe E. Brown, Martha Raye,
    George Burns, Eddie Cantor, Betty Grable, William Holden, Billie Holiday, Hedy Lamarr, the
    Marx Brothers, Dick Powell, Red Skelton, and The Three Stooges.

A few more: Gene Autry, Billy Barty, Noah Beery, Ed Begley, William Frawley, Stewart Granger,
    Walter Huston, Betty Hutton, Ralph Richardson, Jimmy Rodgers, Sophie Tucker, Sonny Tufts,
    Lupe Velez and Jane Wyatt.

10. swi66

swi66

I don't uderstand?
    What gave me away?
    LOL

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

The three pix below are from a rather interesting blog by one John Edward Mason. You can
    read Mr. Mason's whole text and see more, rare photos at: America in Blackface: Photos
    from the Farm Security ...johnedwinmason.typepad.com/john_edwin_mason_photogra/2010-
    /02/fs... Thanks, John, for helping the world better understand a different world during the
    first half of the 20th Century!

[​IMG]
    Premier of "The Jazz Singer," starring Al Jolson, New York City, 1927

[​IMG]
    Bing Crosby in blackface. A still from the movie "Holiday Inn" (1942).

[​IMG]

Actors Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll in blackface, as radio
    characters Amos 'n Andy. Life magazine. 1935. Copyright, Time Inc.

12. swi66

swi66

13. swi66

swi66

14. swi66

swi66

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sign of unvarnished segregated times. Marion Post Wolcott shot this nominally integrated
    lunchroom in January 1939 in the vicinity of Belle Glade, Florida, for the Farm Security
    Administration. This pic is from the U.S. Library of Congress which has an entire section
    devoted to the history of the period -- broadly known as the era of Jim Crow -- roughly late-
    1870s to the 1950s. Seems amazing, in a way, that deep-seated societal institutions of segre-
    gationism only began to lose their grip after WWII, as the civil-rights movement of the '50s
    and '60s finally got traction. Hey, nobody I know ever said the country was perfect. Its
    growth pains over a couple of centuries included some undeniably dark chapters. And if
    we want to learn from history, we have to look objectively at both the sweet and the bitter,
    right? I think it was Jefferson who called the United States of America the "grand experi-
    ment." And we are STILL a work in progress!
    [​IMG]

Photos fro the Library of Congress, thanks to Wikipedia.

[​IMG]

Photo by Jack Delano for the Farm Security Administration, an FDR "New Deal"
    agency
    created to give photographers work documenting depression-era life
    throughout the country, particularly the poor, whether they were city or country
    dwellers. Delano captured this shot in May 1940 Durham, North Carolina, bus
    station.

[​IMG]

Hey! Right in my own territory! Window sign snapped by Ben Shahn,
    photog for the Farm Security Administration, August 1938, Lancaster,
    Ohio.

[​IMG]

The original cutline for this photo: "Negro drinking at 'Colored' water cooler in streetcar

terminal, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma." Photograph by Russell Lee, July, 1939, for the Farm
    Security Administration, thanks to Wikipedia and the Library of Congress.

[​IMG]

Marion Post Wolcott caught this photo in October 1939. Original cutline: "Negro going

in colored entrance of movie house on Saturday afternoon, Belzoni, Mississippi Delta,
    Mississippi."

[​IMG]

Equal-opportunity discrimination? God Bless America! Must have been some
    thirsty Indians around Birney, Montana, in August 1941. Wolcott caught this
    scene at a Saturday night dance.

16. pipopak

pipopak
    BANNED
    from florida

A present wrapped in NEWSPAPER?????.

17. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

[​IMG]

I can't wait to hear what kind of car this is. The GMAC and Buick decals near the door would suggest a GM product. I'd guess Pontiac by the nose under the newspaper. Certainly there is a HAMB'er that can identify the car on the right from the trim.

Of course I'd love that 60 Chevy convertible on the used car lot out front.

18. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I'm with you, '63-4 Pontiac is my guess. That '60 convertible looks great.

19. axe grinder

axe grinder

20. axe grinder

axe grinder

21. axe grinder

axe grinder

22. axe grinder

axe grinder

23. axe grinder

axe grinder

24. axe grinder

axe grinder

25. axe grinder

axe grinder

26. hudson48

hudson48

The Barnes Auto tow truck is from a Brisbane Company who still operate today.I can remember going to their inner city service station/car park back in the 60's/70's as they were the only after hours fuel place in town before the days of self service late hours pumps.What about those gas pumps in the main photo.

http://www.yourbrisbanepastandpresent.com/2010/01/barnes-auto.html

27. SWI66, I have a set of Halibrand Kidney Bean Mags (Yes real magnesium) with aluminum knock offs for a Corvair. 4 bolt. I can drag one out of the attic one of these days if your interested in seeing a picture of them. I have never seen another set like them. Unfortunately they are corroded and I believe they're not usable anymore.

I've had them at least 40+ years. When I put them in storage I never knew that Magnesium would corrode like that.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  28. Now that's funny.

"That's a fact, Jack!"

29. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

The Corvair at the top looks like a Fitch Sprint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.