Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Video: Street Racing in Detroit, Stecker Road

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Oct 18, 2014.

1. This priceless little clip, converted to video from a 8 mm home movie, shows semi-organized drag racing on Stecker Road, on Detroit’s far West Side in 1964. This is the real thing. And check out the police toward the en eyeballing the scene.

If you were there for the racing on Stecker Road or know more about it, please share. We need your stories!

Video: Street racing in Detroit, 1964 | Mac's Motor City Garage

[​IMG]

2. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

That was worth watching, great video.

3. This is awesome......I was also trying to find the footage of the organized racing in Livonia back in the 50's. You could see the Mack roadster masking passes.....I saw a link to it hear a number of years ago..

4. khead47

khead47

I once watched a Canadian kid roll his daddys Chrysler on Stecker!

5. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I think it was 1964 when a kid in one of my college classes, was killed on Stecker. rd. He was sitting in his car watching the races, when a racer lost control. Never went there myself. The Detroit Dearborn border line went right down the center of the road.

6. I don't know this but I've been told that they put a stop

Thanks for the info. I had heard over the years that the racing stopped when a spectator was killed, but nobody seems to agree what year. This video is 1964, obviously.

7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Cool video thanks for posting it.

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Old footage like this is always a treat, thanks for posting it Bill.

9. If I could find that, you bet I would post it. I've seen photos of it but no film.

10. flathead4d

flathead4d

There was a lot of racing done on Northline in the 50's & 60's where the Airport is now. Members of the Downriver "Dragin Wagins" might have some pictures from that era.

11. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I love how the "return road" is part of an active drag strip..........

12. Exactly. Safety violations everywhere, and then near the end we see two Detroit police cruisers! Amazing.