Register now to get rid of these ads!

un normal UTE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty gallons, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ditto

2. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

You, Sir, "get it". Well played. (Two fingers) I'm watching you.

3. Plus one on this; looks 'beetle-browed'....

But the rest is right on!

4. 2racer

2racer

another day another new phrase

beetle browed

With a furrowed or prominent brow, or worried expression. Formerly, with large or bushy eyebrows.

5. 4444Design

4444Design

you got skills!

for me the setup looks fine ...

interesting project btw - subscribed

6. X2....damn good proportions.-MIKE:cool:

7. I like the custom touch, neat without looking over-done.

Only problem I can see is the steering wheel is on the wrong side.....:rolleyes:;):D

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

8. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

The pictures in post #50 won me over---I really like it.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I was going to suggest a little out of the crown (looks a little heavy in the top area) but I see that has already been addressed. Keep posting the progress. I really like how this one is turning out.

Frank

10. I love it. This is what I love about this site, why can't the magazines do something like this instead of all of the high dollar proffesional built who you are features?

11. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW, The only thing wrong with this UTE is it is not in my garage. Job well done!

Gary

12. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Think outside the box,thats what I like.He is going to have a blast with it. Hope he lets you drive it, Very cool. I built a 32 Ford pickup using a back half of a 29 A sedan grafted to it ,extended the cab 12 inches ,chop 5, channeled 5 and lengthened it.Sold it to a guy in Pontiac Mich.He claimed in a newspaper article about the Detroit Autorama saying he built it,LOL. He actually sent me the article.

13. gmpartsgod

gmpartsgod

Man why even ask.....i take it?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. the-rodster

the-rodster

So many times these types of conversions look like shit.

This one kicks ass.

Rich

15. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Two thumbs up here.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was all ready to be hating this thing when I opened the thread. Almost all vehicles cut down into a Ute is UGLY but looks like I was wrong.
    This has perfect proportions, if you do take anything out of the roof skin please make it a very small amount!! As it is gives it a strong industrial look. The restraint you have shown on the custom work suits this thing to a 'T'!
    This looks like it could have come from Ford Australia's production lines! I love it!!

Doc.

17. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

As far as the roof?..
    It is shaped the way it is in an effort to capture something of a 'fastback' look
    Lots of small cuts and tucks to get that slope of a faux fastback into a truck type cab.
    I am happy that so many people like this thing. We are going to have fun at some of the F100 gatherings. Just gonna park it and sit behind to the vehicle beside it.... and listen.
    Thanks guys,

18. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

UPDATE !!

After a year here is where we are
    I cannot work on it but about an hour off and on, The man that owns it stops by almost daily, tells me what he is going to do, but rarely actually does anything.

The motor and trans combo is a rebuilt 1972 cadillac 472 and turbo 400.

I will post any more that might happen

Attached Files:

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I like it.

I'm not a fan of tapered roofs on pu's, but this one doesn't look bad. The only thing that looks out of proportion - to me - is the rear section. I've been trying to visualize the "bed" top rails tapered down towards the back a bit, flowing w/the natural body line that is above the rear fender. I think it would go well w/the roof slope, but should make the rear a bit less "bulky". Otherwise, I think you've just flat nailed it. Nice job.

Marcus...

20. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

The top line of the bed IS the body line from the original Panel truck, exactly.
    The length of the bed is the Panel truck, exactly, the only thing I actually changed as far as length was shortening the front wheel to fender leading edge by 4 " because it was just Way too long after the section and chop, Hung out there like a roman nose. (no offense intended) if you look at the pics you can see the cut lines and weld lines across the hood and up the front fender, Oh, and I shortened the front wheel well opening by 1"
    Hand made the tailgate, and raised the rear window as suggested earlier.

21. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

New info,
    well, after all this work, Dave, the man I was "helping" build this thing, went and died on me and his 2 teenage girls, November 7th 2014....Now I have his girls AND this truck. (actually it never left my garage). I am between either finishing it or selling it. I have right at $5000 of my own money invested, and I am pretty certain I will take a loss if I do decide to sell it.
    OR, I can keep it and put it on the back burner for................sometime.
    Life does funny things .........

22. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Sorry about your friend..... RIP
    Keep us up-dated on the "UTE"
    LW

23. raymay

raymay

Sorry to hear about your friend Dave.
    I liked your vision and creativity for this conversion. I did something similar turning a 56 Chevy 2dr Wagon into an ElCamino. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/some-pics-of-my-friends-1956-elcamino.399170/
    See your project through. Believe me, you will find it to be good therapy and certainly a nice tribute to your friend Dave and his family.
    I like that you added what looks to be a working tailgate. If you don't mind suggestions, mine would be to not have the squared off edges on top and sharp body line in the center of the tailgate. Your truck has great curves and smooth angles. Finding a way to incorporate similar angles and curves into the tailgate will help give your design a more (looks factory) finish.
    Good luck and keep up the great work.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  24. ken1939

ken1939

Its been a super project, and sad to hear about the loss of Dave in all of this. I think you can bring it home, so to speak and finish the build. If for two reasons, for Dave's kids, and for Dave's memory. I think everything about the build as been steller, the stance the roof lines etc. I love the grille concept. I can only cast my vote and want to see it done!.

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Sorry about your pal but "Good on ya!" for taking the girls and doing what you can. I'm sure that your caring attitude will be rewarded somewhere along life's way.
    I'm with the rest of the fellows in that you need to finish the project... I suspect you'll find allot of comfort along the way as you complete it with the continued spiritual help from the memory of your pal.
    Keep workin,
    Al

26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I am sorry for the loss of you buddy. I am sure he would have liked to see you finish this project even if it is eventually sold to cover the costs of the build. It is such a great concept it just has to be finished and I think you are the one to see it through.