Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two Lane Blacktop rare photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy junkie, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Richard Ruth still has the same shop in Merced Ca. The place looks closed from the road but i hear he is still working in there...

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks for these pix I've never seen, from my favorite movie. How'd you get these shots? Especially the one of Hellman checking out the tribute car...

3. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Killer pics thanks a million for postin those up man!

4. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

you ever he Art Garfunkel sing!!! ;)
    Bird committed suicide in boyfriend Art Garfunkel's Manhattan penthouse at the tragically young age of 25 on June 15, 1979. Garfunkel dedicated his album "Scissors Cut" to Laurie. The album features a partial photograph of Laurie Bird on its back cover.

5. biscaynes

biscaynes

exactly, that's why they're good movies even though they have no real plot.:cool:

6. eeluddy

eeluddy

A buddy of mine had a black primer 55 about 2 years before the movie came out, 1969-70. It was finally vindication for me, realizing California car guys loved the same car as me!

7. That shot and a lot more are on the site below...
    http://twolaneblacktop.yuku.com/
    Actually, that not a tribute car, but is the remaining real thing. It was the camera car, and belongs to the guy that has the TLB website.
    He found the original car in Canada, and it has thorough documentation from the builder himself, Richard Ruth. In fact, Ruth performed a great deal of the restoration on the car. Check out the site, there are a lot of great photos there, as well as good writeup of the rebuild...

Everyone knows the number one car went on to become the Grafitti car, and the present owner pretty much ruined it, as it no longer looks like either the TLB or the AG car. This 55 is the real deal though.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  8. ten thumb

ten thumb
    from texas

Killer movie thanks for posting this stuff. Got a copy for Christmas seen 4 times already.Not many movies you can watch over and over again.

9. Allan Songer

Allan Songer

How many times does Warren Oates's (GTO) sweater change colors? I know I counted once, but have forgotten again. I think it was like the 3rd time through the movie that I noticed this bit of weirdness. I mean, one mintue he's drinking a coke in a yellow sweater and 20 seconds later it's brown.

"I won it in Vegas shootin' craps."

Oates should have won an oscar for this performance. Easily equal to his masterful work in "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" a couple of years later.

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow looks like Walt finally got rid of the Camero sub that was put in yrs ago, looks great.

11. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

12. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

13. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

14. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

looking at that jacket,i wonder if Bottle bob or Groucho were running that night? In the first one it looks like Linda Vaughan was out walking her dog and stopped for a look at the racing. :D
    [​IMG]

Baron likes this.
  15. 303racer

303racer

16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

'55 was also in a episode of Dragnet

17. Mac_55

Mac_55

Heres another neat piece of trivia not many know about the movie.

The fella in the top photo in the glendale shirt is Richard Ruth himself. He got the part as the filling station mechanic . I thought it was pretty neat when he walks out and asks " You build the headers?" when actually he did , then he says " sure looks like alot of work" He oughta know ha ha ha , look at my av or my album , you can tell ive been hooked for awhile !

18. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

They used some of thec '55 sounds, from TLB movie, to over-dub Smokey and the Bandits' Trans Am too... I guess the T/A didnt sound good enough, so they faked it a few times, with the sound of the low 10 second '55...

19. helmsville

helmsville

W0W! that was fun, i love this pic with the smoke pouring out of the scoop.

20. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Better check the valves!

21. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I want one of those Glendale Speed Center shirts BAD!

22. Another side note, when Richard first built the '55, it was light blue and pretty nice, but the producer wanted him to "ulgy it up" to make it more " authentic".
    Richard has a build book, I will see if I can get some copies from him to post.

23. M.Edell

M.Edell

lol!

24. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

OMG eeew ffs wy'd the guy take a bitchin trad. hot rod an turn it into some showcar.I threw up a lil when I saw the rims on that thing.

25. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

Always cool to relive some history, thanks.

26. doublenickels

doublenickels

really kool pics this movie just gets better and better over time