Register now to get rid of these ads!

Twin Engine Coupling (How Do You Get Two V8's In-Line?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Going back to the Duesenberg idea - what about 2 V6s back to back, to make a V12? Not quite so crazy long. Displacement 7 or 8 liters depending what engines you chose.

And for any double engine, if you use an electric water pump on the rear engine you don't need a fan belt which eliminates a few problems.

2. gatz

gatz

Don't understand "solid" in this context. If there's no "flex" the engines would have to have the same exact centerline in all axis within a few thousandths.......as if they had the same physical crankshaft.

Back in the 60's, a cousin and some pals put a dual-engine IHC "M" together using two Hemis. I don't know exactly where he came up with the idea.
    They weren't from the same kind of car tho' IIRC, one was from a Chrysler, the other one was a DeSoto.
    Required a little stretching of the frame to accommodate them.
    To couple them, they used a double-chain and sprocket affair. I think it was #60 roller chain size.

I was thinking that they should be "timed" together; but as the project progressed, it was found they didn't need to be.

It took a lot of dragging up and back to get the thing started the first time, but once it did...man that thing would move. It even spun the big tires when the throttle was cracked. And each crack twisted the frame a little too........ but not permanently.
    This was at the time when the pulling sleds using the windup weight increase were first used.

3. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

From industrial experience alignment is paramount to coupler life regardless what manufactures claim. Straight edges and feeler gauges wont get it done. Takes reverse dial indicator alignment. New electronic instrumentation makes it much easier. Never used laser however.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Man, this is old. Didn't GM have tandem V-6's on some trucks? Or were they diesels? How was the starter(s) and coupler worked out on them? Gary

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  5. Toolman98

Toolman98

I got to thinking, if you could pop the core out of the second engines thermostat, so the central hose didn't get to pressurized, and pop, couldn't you just hook the radiator out line to the first engine, then hook the water coming out of it to the second engine's in pipe, then connect the water coming out of the second engine to the radiator's in pipe. Would it run as all one system like that?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. That was a dedicated V12 block, that used 4 V6 heads.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^I see, said the blind man. Gary

8. Mopar_Marshall

Mopar_Marshall

So I've been working on an engineering project recently where I am going to be forced to place two Ferrari 65°next to each but not in the 'traditional' W formation as used by Bentley and Bugatti. Instead, it will be in the much less 'common' X formation (last worked on by an automobile company in the 1960's). To make a wildly complicated process easy I have one question- Should I custom design an engine block which would make the engine combine and share one crankshaft, or should I design a custom engine mount which would place the engines parallel and then connect them using a set of chain link?

9. SS327

SS327

The GMC 702 cubic inch TWIN-SIX it was called. One of my dream engines.

Denny

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

How much money do you have? Chain is going to be way cheaper.

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You tie the empty engine blocks together thru the mains with a line-up bar and then mount into the chassis 100_0351.JPG 100_0352.JPG 100_0353.JPG 100_0354.JPG 100_0392.JPG 100_0393.JPG 100_0404.JPG 100_0413.JPG

rod1, Okie Pete, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Follow Mother Mopar's lead with the WWII-era multibank engine used in Sherman Tanks. 5 separate engine blocks, 5 crankshafts, all bolted to a central case and geared together to a common output shaft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okie Pete, Deuces and Chucky like this.
  13. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I've read through the entire thread, As I contemplate building something with 2 flat caddy 8's, my thought was to use a stock clutch and pressure plate to couple them, Make a input shaft adapter bolted to the crank of the rear engine, have a clutch lever like a wood chipper. then you could run only the rear engine if need be, start either one with one running engine. Seems like a good idea but I've not seen it in this thread.
    Any thoughts?

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Cool old thread, first time I've seen it. I was thinking along the same lines as you, then I thought a fluid coupling from like a Hydramatic, or a torque converter, would ease shock loading on the crankshafts and eliminate concerns about timing of the 2 engines. It would make starting easier, each engine could be started on it's own without hurting the other, or start one and use it to start the other.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A lock up torque converter, if you could figure out how to feed oil to it. Possibly from the engine oil supply.

16. Donovan R-Norris

Donovan R-Norris

Ok so i wanted to try making my own car and i was thinking about combining two V8s together for the car and I was reading through and I learned a little bit but I still have a few questions.

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice thing about the electric motor connectors listed above is the instant torque they can withstand. Working in power generating plants as an electrician I have seen and worked on many. They stand up under multiple startups up into the thousands if maintained properly.

19. Donovan R-Norris

Donovan R-Norris

I was going to couple two v8s together but my dad says that I should make the two engines into one instead of coupling.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  20. Donovan R-Norris

Donovan R-Norris

images.jpeg
    I was thinking about trying this but maybe closer together instead of the 45 degree, maybe 35 or 30.

rod1 and Okie Pete like this.
  21. goldmountain

goldmountain

Not being helpful here. Just looking for an excuse to show off this picture. IMG_1687.JPG

427 sleeper and Okie Pete like this.
  22. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

V12 GMC gas engine?

23. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

what?

Attached Files:

rod1 likes this.
  24. foolthrottle

foolthrottle