Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trust miles-how do you handle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50desotocoupe, Oct 30, 2014.

1. trollst

trollst

For me? Outta the garage and on the hiway, first trip, a few miles of sheer terror getting the feel, worrying about possible loose bolts, cajoling the car to go faster, major relief at getting the first trip in no hassle. One time, rolled a 36 chev pickup out of the shop, down to the quiet road on sunday morning, put the foot to the toeboard and let off at a scary 100 mph with a bug eyed owner sitting beside me sweating profusely. Brand new, never driven before that morning. Get in and drive it.

2. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Go for it! do a check list, visually go over everything, check for loose bolts on the vitals (tranny/motor mounts, suspension/steering components) etc. I've had as many break downs in a newer daily than a home built vehicle.
    At the end of last summer I drove this to the Rodders Journal Show 600 miles 1 way running 75 mph for 10 hrs straight each way. Never a hiccup it has all vintage parts except for the T5 tranny.

Attached Files:

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Only thing I'd worry about it the electrical stuff, pack a fire extingusher, and enjoy the ride. Bob

4. And don't forget to let us know how you get on, with pics please.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finished our 54 ford Victoria in late December after a major body off rebuild and re power , headed off early January with 2 teenage kids dropped son off in the South Island for work . Daughter had enough three weeks in and stayed with friends. Continued a 2000 mile 5 week vacation that took in a wedding ,a street rod nationals . a swap meet various family visits , 20 miles of gravel road and some awesome scenery , minor problem was a heater hose hole due to a cover wearing a hole in the hose , took clip off shortened hose and refitted.
    Had an absolute blast and need to return to the South Island to repeat this road trip.
    Reliability is all in the mind. You don't mind it doesn't matter.

6. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Tools and go! That is a short trip...if you are really nervous build a relationship with someone with a roll-back just in case.

Good luck!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Can't win if you don't play, think +

8. clem

clem

Cell phone, tow rope, tools - if you know how to use them. Fire extinguisher.

9. Good point to hoist the car up and go over it from end to end checking to see if everything is tight and complete. I've found things loose and unplugged in the past.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. I was wondering how mine would hold up going to the Jalopyrama in Annapolis. My drive was a little longer and didn't have any problems except for an oil leak on the exhaust pipe, but I easily fixed it at the show. The irony is my friend has a repop model T roadster with all new stuff on it. It ended up having 3 different problems and had to be towed home.

11. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy Matt put his 32 5-window together. He drove it 6 blocks (without any doors), hung the doors on it, crammed his nephew and pregnant girlfriend in the car with him and took off on a 800+ mile shakedown run from Iowa to Dallas.

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Kind of like learning to ride a bike, at a certain point you just have to go for it.

smoked1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Go back and look at all the replies,all these guys at one time or another ventured out from the comfortable feeling of being close to home but as the mileage starts adding up on the odometer confidence will replaces the butterfly's and apprehension.

As other have said,carry a cell phone but I'm betting you won't have to use it. HRP

14. After building a car I can usually pack just about every tool needed to assemble and disassemble the entire car in a not too large toolbox that I carry. Beyond that WTF have some fun!

15. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

My daughter lives there. considering Denver traffic, how long does it take to do that 25 miles??

16. I am in shakedown mode on my '29 cabriolet build right now, only 120 miles since I hooked up the speedometer. About a month of little trips before that. With each trip I gain more confidence, and venture further on successive trips. I look forward to each trip to reveal a little problem that can be corrected. I hope to do a 500+ mile trip next year, if I get it painted and enough trouble free miles on it first.

Just keep driving as much and as often as you can. Before long you won't think twice about being a few miles from home.

17. Rfink,
    That's about like you going top Redwood City isn't it?

Hell around here you can go 25 miles in any direction and never leave the metro.

18. big M

big M

I'd say, 'Hop in and go!' Do let some others know your route, just in case there is a problem.

In April of 2008 I got a '58 Dodge wagon in the junkyard, missing its drivetrain, interior and trim. I told my wife that since we didn't have money for a honeymoon when we married, that we were going to take a trip cross country in October, and meet up with some friends in eastern Tennessee 3000 miles away. Everything was done with budget in mind, the engine and trans were removed from a '59 Desoto, timing set, gaskets and seals were replaced, bands adjusted in the torqueflite, and installed. Got a parts car from a demo derby driver that I traded a '72 Chevy wagon to, which had most of the trim and so on. Went through the brakes, carb, etc and got it running. Next I did all the body work and painted it. Completed the car the night before we were to leave, and drove it to the next town over [10 miles each way] and next morning we left. Sure, there was some minor problems that occurred, such as a headlight switch failing, [I hard wired the headlights for night driving until the replacement switch was found] and a couple wheels cracking along the bead. Aside from those issues, we made it to our destination within a half hour of our schedule.

Things went well enough, that we drove up to New England, and back across the central USA, clocking just over 8,000 miles on the trip. The total invested in the car [including the car itself] was just over $7,000. \'58 Dodge wagon 003.jpg Honeymoon trip 041.jpg

19. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Thinking about it...........if you gotta ask that question you might be in the wrong hobby.

Back in '74, my buddy bought a full sized 1951 White school bus that hadn't been run since '62. We got it running, removed most of the seats, threw in 2 mattresses, tools, beer, wine, food and drove it from DC to the Rockies and back. We weren't "wild and crazy guys", we each had a wife, 2 kids and a good job, we just needed an adventure.. 25 miles? Geeeez

20. Yeah, I live 27 miles out so I get 60 miles easily everytime I go!

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25-miles isn't even half-way to work.

22. I made it without any major issues. Need to look at throttle linkage and a couple small things. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414854508.723026.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414854521.422184.jpg
    Thanks to everyone for their insight. This is my first "hot rod" where I have changed so much. Now getting used to it as so much different than my 67 Cadillac which is bone stock.

low budget likes this.
  23. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Congrats you are on your way! Gary:)

24. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Maiden voyage more than around the block successful, congratulations.

25. Holy shit. He isn't still stuck here is he ? :)

26. Good deal and thanks for letting us know you made it. The more miles you get on it, the more you will start trusting it. And, breakdowns are all just part of the adventure and good story later when they do happen!

Car looks good, too!

27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looks good. I didnt make it out this weekend. Kinda embarassing to drive the truck in current spotty cow looking state.

28. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

You got a lot of responses cause we've all been there and we're all a bit jealous cause it's such a rush. My '49 1/2 ton is a dd/only vehicle and I do one K trips a few every year, still thrills me, hope I never lose that excitement. Good for you, keep going man.

29. smoked1

smoked1

Glad your" trip" went well! Did ya lose your bumper? yuck!yuck!:cool: