Register now to get rid of these ads!

top 10 tv cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spicoli, May 22, 2006.

1. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

ok here they are in order of tv land back in 2004 from 10 to 1
    10) rockfords pontiac firebird
    9)green hornets blaack beauty built by dean jefferies
    8)starsky & hutch ford gran torino
    7)beverly hillbillies jalopy built from a 1921 oldsmobile
    6)tie magnum pi ferrarri 308 and crocketts ferrarri testarosa
    5)flintstones flintmobile
    4)munsters munster koach built from 3 model t's
    3)knight riders kitt 1982 trans am
    2)dukes of hazzard general lee used 300 1969 dodge chargers for the show and 600 police cars
    1)batmans batmobile
    well there you have it tv lands top ten don't complain to me i am just the messanger

2. Gleeser

Gleeser
    from Taylor, MO

Dude.... I have the same exact picture. Well except mine has me in it not you. And I was a couple years younger and way better lookin...

I'm diggin' those Jordans too man!!!! Sweet!

3. Godspeed

Godspeed

I kind of liked the Sunbeam Tiger in the older Get Smart shows. A Ford Small block in a euro car that was light as a feather. The power to weight ratio was definitely in the high performance realm.
    [​IMG]

Car 54 where are you?
    [​IMG]

4. DKcoupe

DKcoupe

Just yesterday I was channel surfing and "Guess who's coming to dinner" was on. Just as I flipped by Spencer Tracy was backing out of a drive in and caved in the side of a blue 32 highboy roadster. The passenger door and the rear quarter were crunched pretty good. The owner flipped out and said he had spent 3 months building the car and there was $35 - $40 damage. Tracy gave him $50 and said something like "here, go buy a new one"

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recall that the problem with the sunbeam alpines was that they were not light as feathers, in fact that had a substantial weight problem and the little anemic four that powered them just wasnt up to it. But by the time they dropped the 260 into it, it was another story.

6. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

My all time fav car from any movie or TV is this baby

[​IMG]

7. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

Forgot about KARR. The trucks in that show were pretty cool also, and Devin had a nice old Benz.
    65 Stingray, I was thinking 63 for some reason, but that was about 20 years ago. Your actually the only other person I have run across that actually remembers that show.

8. Gleeser

Gleeser
    from Taylor, MO

I remember it dude.

9. Movie car: JAmes Bond drove a Tiger in Dr. No. That is probably the reason for Maxwell Smart having one. One big problem with the Tigers is engine cooling. Due to the downsloping hood the radiator is small and because of the small grill opening there isn't enough air moving through the engine room.

10. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

many of us remember the show, just don't wanna admit to it. have you watched it on tv land lately and seen how cheep those special effects that mesmorized us as children really are. also how stupid a talking car really could be.

11. showing my age here .....or lack of maturity

TOM SLICKS THUNDERBOLT GREASE SLAPPER
    part of the George of the jungle cartoon show..
    it was reconfigured to race anywhere and any thing by his gramma

other wise the cal. kid is neck and neck with the munsters cars..
    the cars from dobie gillis and 77 sunset strip... route 66... drag net
    paperdog

12. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

Yep, many of my favorites seem just plan silly these days, however, the show we few remember was Stingray, not Knightrider.

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/863-stingray/

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Comet,
    It was so wierd reading this particular post! I have a personal experience wth each of these cars & I was not actually a big Dukes of Hazzard fan either;) But I did like the Charger (and I'm not a big Mopar fan either, but these cars were some of thier best work.)

In 1980, I too was a sophmore in SGHS in San Gabriel, we didn't have a track around here anymore, I did have a car & a drivers license though;), So every Sat Nite My Chrysler buds and I=(Ford-GM) would go to Saugus Speedway on a $1.27 a gal gas and watch the roundy rounds.Well one night after the main, my gal pal Pat who lived out there, asked if I knew about the Dukes car:confused:

She new the shop where they were always being built & rebuilt, so Pat,my buds & I took a cruise over to this shop off of a two lane (Coincidentally near where they filmed the CA. Kid) This shop was open @ 11pm and the guy was thrashing for early shoot on Monday, Two of the cars were back ups & one was a jumper and of course they always had a camera car. If you ever really look @ some of the shots, one will notice a 68 & 70 Chargers for the stunt cars.
    So we got to have a looksee, I told the guy that my brother had a 68 Charger and he was all stoked & wanted to buy it for a back up. I told my bro about it when I got home=said no frickin way! (a couple of years later that car kicked my 68 Ragtop GTO 4spds ass with a now new owner:mad:=Chrysler buds.)

Now that brings me to the a very early memory of seeing the Monkee Mobile in person @ Dean Jeffries shop on Cahuenga Bl. Just below Hollywood Hills. As a 3-4yr old, I was way impressionable and have gas & oil in my veins ever since I was 1st pushed around in a stroller:D. My dad was in his mid 30's and somewhat still a gearhead:confused:(He's now 76 and cruises around in a Black 06 Altima 3.5 SE-Pat has an 05 just like it) He had just purchased a 68 Firebird 400. I remember the way that car smelled-("Aint nothing better than the smell of a new car,cept maybe for pussy"=Roland LeBay in the movie Christine).

Well we were on our way back up to our house off Mulholland Dr. and My brother,sister & I begged dad to stop the car! There she was in all of her glory! The 1966 GTO Rag Top Monkee Mobile! Fake blower & all! As if I know what that was @ 4yrs old:rolleyes:. This car had always made a lasting impression on me, so much so that in 1981 when George Barris was having an auction @ the Universal Sheraton in the parking structure I had to attend. I did and was really disappointed @ the condition of most of the cars in Barris' collection:eek::(.
    Well there was a another version of the Monkee Mobile, but it had fuzz all over it, Barris told me that he made the Monkee Mobile, but I knew better! this was a clone of the original & many people just bought these cars w/o ever really knowing that these were actual "back up cars or dupes" They know now=Lol! 6-yrs later the Monkees played the Greek Theater in Griffith Park and low & behold what was cruisin around out front, but the Monkee Mobile-The Original all restored to its former glory! This by the way was the ONLY time that all of the actual Monkees sang together for the 1st time in 20yrs!
    It was great to see the complete reunion, car included!

Now for the last one! I know, you're saying c'mon now get on with it! Or not another one:rolleyes:. Well my older brother Gary & I used to ride our BMX's all over the greater SGV. and one day in 1973 my brother see's this wicked looking back 34 W coupe w/licks all down the fenders & hood sides! We go have a looksee. It had mags on it and I was frickin hooked! "one day I would own one of those!"

A few months later we are watching the ol Blk & Wht tube & what do we see roaring accross the screen but that very same car! Now with steelies & side pipes & a name of some "Calif Kid on the door. We look @ each other "that couldn't be the same car=could it?" We waited for that Channel 7 movie of the week to come on & watched it intently=probably the only time that we weren't fighting=Lol!

Well my brother tell me one day that he knows where that car is, & I say "No-Way-You Liar!" He then proceeds to tell me that we're going for a bike ride & low & behold-we are standing right accross the street from the Temple City Sherrifs Station @ "Pete & Jakes Hot Rod Repair" "home of the California Kid". So being the punk ass kid that I was, I used to hang out in the door way asking all of the dumb kid questions that most all have asked!
    I think that I was all of 10yrs old @ that time and very impressionable.
    Any chance that I had, I went over to the shop to inquire about this & that.

When I was 18 yrs old the Coupe was now back in CA. and Jake & Peter used to meet for breakfast @ Goody's Coffee Shop on Las Tunas. I worked @ the Buick dealer right around the corner so I would make any excuse to take a roadtest just to sneak a peek or catch a glimpse of one of their 34's.

I remember my service mgr asking me what took so long one day when I was scoping out The Kid Koupe! I noticed that it no longer had it's steelies (Jake ended up giving me the tires from the kid coupe which were Winston Bias-Plys which I wore out on one of Mark Mortons' Reliabiablity Runs on my 34 Coupe), split bones & no quickie! In their place was now a four bar set up, A now rare set of Paris Fish's "Vintage Hals" and a narrowed 1957 Ford 9" rear end=:(.

A new set of this now famous guy Boyd Coddington bucket seats now adorned this ride (Bench Seat put in by 2nd owner Cris Carrier is now in Bill Vinthers Orange Bad ass Vent It 34 Coupe!)-Car originally had a set of high back fiberglass bucket seats which one can barely see in the movie as well
    as the lack of door panels. I told him that I was looking/studying cars, he thought that I was off my nut, but to this day understands.

Those are my very personal experiences with TV cars & I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. I just wish my brother that was only 2 yrs older than I would have stayed focused enough to survive & enjoy all of this.

I lost him in Jan of 91-Drove my own Black 34 3W home from that Buick/Chevy dealer to find him non-responsive. At least he did get to drive all of the cars that I had @ that point in time and he did see me keep my word about getting "one of those 34 3W coupes one day!" Luckily I still have 2 bros left even though they are much older than me we still are very close.

See, Cars build many memories! Some Good,Some Not So Good!;):D Lol!

Kevin

14. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

wasn't there a T roadster on Spin and Marty? and don't forget speed buggy.

15. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

I always thought Marty Hollmann's 1915 steel T bucket was pretty cool.

It was the feature car in the "Chrome Coffin" which was the 15th episode of the 4th season of "77 Sunset Strip".

The following is a copyrighted (can't copy the photos) link to the "Chrome Coffin" episode. The car pictured here (upper left & lower right) was the "Chrome Coffin" that was the namesake for the episode. It drag raced without the windshield installed. Rather "tacky" decal on the side, but a very cool car nonetheless.

http://www.sd455.com/movie77sunset.htm

It was also the car that the Lindberg "Bobtail T" model was based on.

Marty & Norm Grabowski were friends. Norm was member #10 and Marty was member #11 of the L.A. Roadsters club.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

16. 40chev

40chev

Ok ok don't give me too much crap but being I was about 6 years old at the time I watched it I remember an episode of the Brady Bunch where Greg drug home (if memory serves me right) a 55 Chevy convert that they all pitched in and rebuilt but when he went to start it all the wiring was screwed up and wipers came on, horn started blowing, top went up and down on it's own....This may not be a top 10 car but it was one that I still remember in a TV show...

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

On "Leave it to Beaver", didn't Lumpy Rutherford drive a '40 Ford convert?

18. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

The feature car in in "My Mother the Car" was made (a.k.a. bastardized) from Norm Grabkowski's post "Kookie Car" "T" tub build.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/milestones/0112sr_norm_grabowski_kookie_kar/index.html

Excerpt:

"I used to see Norm cruisin' Hollywood Boulevard with his red, full-fendered tub filled with chicks (who says they only went for guys in customs?). Later Norm sold the touring to his friend Kaye Trapp for $2,700, who turned it into the "Porter" prop vehicle for NBC-TV's 1965-66 sitcom, My Mother the Car, staring Jerry Van Dyke (there's definitely a "Van" thing going on here), with Ann Sothern as the voice of the touring, which was supposed to be his reincarnated mother. Pretty strange stuff, but then again, the '60s were pretty strange times."

http://www.rumpsville.com/contents/norm/car/tub/

Attached Files:

19. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

Yes. The same 1927 Ford Hot Rod used in the "Shaggy Dog" movie only with a different paint job.

http://www.originalmmc.com/marty3.html

Attached Files:

20. DoubleUc

DoubleUc
    from IL

OK... the thread is starting to turned into a movie car too but won't go there...too many to list, but as far as TV no one mentioned the Rockford Files Firebird...COME ON thats where we got the idea of the whole reverse e-brake then 2 gear slide job! Not to mention what I did with the General Lee ideas...lol, thats when I had to start working on cars!

21. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

the "My Mother the Car" was a 1928 Porter..........

Jack Benny's car..............1923 Maxwell.........for those who may care

22. Chuck R

Chuck R

Route 66 Corvette, Bad photo , cool show.
    chuck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

:DLOL:D It's funny because it's true.

25. Jack Benny's Maxwell. "Oh, Rochester?"

26. Spooky

Spooky

Did anyopne ever watch the show "Viper'?

I watched on episode and low and behold, the two heroes in the Viper were chasing down a super car from the 50's.
    That car was a reproduction of the Futura Dream Car from the 50's.
    It was painted red and had allof the bells and whistles that the original did.
    Did anyone ever see that episode?
    It was super cool seeing this thing burn off the white walls while the Viper was left in the dust.
    Or so they made you think that was happenin'.

27. The Ricky Nelson roadster from Ozzie and Harriet. This car was previously mentioned, but without a picture.

[​IMG]

28. MUDFLAP

MUDFLAP
    from wyoming

Man o man -talk about a ton of memories! I had forgotten about a lot of these.

29. Thumper

Thumper

Your fergettin one...........the Partridge Family bus !!!!! Man I always wanted to nail Shirley Jones in the back of that thing :D

30. sammyg

sammyg

Nelly-Belle most defiantly, and then The BEAST from Uncle Buck.