Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Tod n Buz do Route 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 15, 2024.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not this far north....rain and snow...that is why Jim likes roadsters....for other people

2. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Thru Roswell NM, the space aliens can get you home quicker. Plus the space aliens are HAMB friendly since all their stuff is pre 1965.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'm trying to get warm. It's in the 50s, wind is blowing, but the sun is out. Maybe I'll run into warm some time today.

Truck stop food

PXL_20240325_162857658.jpg

4. Does that southerly blue route take you by the Rio Grande ?
    Looks like it on the map .

Tommy

5. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Yeah...you get a great view of Juarez.

Desoto291Hemi and firstinsteele like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, I 20 then I 10 through El Paso. I hit that part around 1:30 PM, and kept moving the whole way...even through the construction at the west (north?) end of town, and it was down to one lane.

Made it home, looked like serious rain clouds, but I mostly dodged them.

home again.jpg

Oh...I didn't see any old cars on the road today. Until I was less than ten miles from home, and saw this one...california tags...neat! he waved :)

ham.jpg

-Brent-, Nominal, The 39 guy and 32 others like this.
  7. Great job Jim,,,,,every pic you take you look different,,,,lol .
    You remind me of Lee Marvin in that one .

I see you have the top taped in on the Vette,,,,,,pretty cold on the way home I imagine ?
    I’m sure you almost froze most of the trip,,,,,you were wearing your skull cap in a lot of driving pics,,,lol .

I’m proud of you,,,,,that’s a lot of time and effort to complete this Lemons run .
    Many driving miles too,,,,,the old Vette did good .

Tommy

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. squirrel

squirrel

I put the top up when I was in Arizona, the weather looked pretty bad ahead, and I also checked the temps and it was in the high 40s at home. The tape on the front of the top is because it leaks, both at the windshield frame, and the top bow seal doesn't fit right, there's a little gap on the left side, with the latch adjusted as tight as it can go. I don't know how to fix that! maybe there's a different brand of seal that is more pliable?

But I did about 3500 miles with the top down, so I got to enjoy a lot of sort-of convertible weather.

-Brent-, Bandit Billy, WC145 and 17 others like this.
  10. Jim, good trip. Good "reporting", too. I, for one, am sad to see it finished! I look forward to your threads.

Ben

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  11. noboD

noboD

Squirrel, I know it's been said before, BUT you have too much fun!!

12. squirrel

squirrel

I just wish more guys would get out and do stuff with old cars! it's lonely....

13. Oneball

Oneball

When I bought my Mercury the vender asked what I was going to do with it, I said I was going to use it as a car, you know go to the shops, out for the weekend, go on holiday that sort of thing. He was really shocked!

14. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Congrats on completing the rally. I like cars that are cars first and hot rods, brawlers, antiques, and even customs second. There are people that derive their pleasure from owning. I’ve always been more of a from using kind of person. While knowing I have it can give me a certain sense of satisfaction, getting to use it is what makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

15. Uh-oh Jim, I see a new avatar photo, a preview of things to come ?

16. squirrel

squirrel

just a cool picture. But yeah, it's inspiring.

17. Sure is !!!

porkshop and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  18. I was at the dump with my Fargo last summer and the attendant told me I shouldn’t drive the truck there. Confused I asked why, his reply was it’s too nice to drive anywhere but shows.

I drive my junk everywhere and anywhere. If I was closer Jim I would be with you on all the adventures. I had full intentions of coming to sick 66 until I forgot about the registration until it was full….

Baumi, Tow Truck Tom, Oneball and 4 others like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

I drive my truck to the dump all the time, everyone there says "nice truck". They never said that when I drove it to the dump in the 1970s!

20. I drove the Buick to Seattle last summer. Planning a trip in a couple of weeks. Another in July. I just don't document it as well as you, sir. And due to "off topic" items , I have to be careful.

Ben

21. Hopefully I will soon! The 38 coupe is apart for updates. Some too modern for the HAMB that's why I didn't start a thread on it.

22. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, Jim was running with a lot of OT cars....they even have a 'rental car' class...2024 so just be discrete....
    gonna' have to do one of these with Jim in a Model A 4 banger

23. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

"??? What's That Mean ???"

firstinsteele and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since joining the HAMB website in 2019, and I am happy to say, this is the only social website I participate in, it's been a real hoot, to be able to follow along on Jim Forbes' automotive adventures!
    His ability to " HAVE TOO MUCH FUN "and for him to be able share with us all, is a rare treat indeed!

25. silent rick

silent rick

jim, the new hotrodladycrusr of the hamb.
    do you make cookies too?

Tim, 41 GMC K-18, pprather and 2 others like this.
  26. noboD

noboD

And gives hugs?

27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

“A whole lotta things that I never done but
    I ain’t never had too much fun”

Commander Cody

words to live by:D

41 GMC K-18 and winduptoy like this.
  28. AmishMike

AmishMike

Looks like u needed tape along front of top to stop cold wind. Or streamlining for speed

29. squirrel

squirrel

The tape is for rain. The windshield leaks, and the header to windshield seal leaks. Water pours in the car when driving in the rain with the top up. The tape keeps me dry.

it's not too bad driving in the rain with the top down, but stopping is an issue, and when it's in the 40s out it gets pretty chilly. Just like in a roadster.

41 GMC K-18, RodStRace and i.rant like this.