Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Timonium 1974

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommy, Jul 8, 2011.

1. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were taken by Donnie Sutherland at Timonium in 1974. I'm just posting them for him. Some of the cars are still around today with very little changes including a HAMBer. Wide ovals were in style back then. Just part of our history.

chryslerfan55 and HiHelix like this.
  2. Kinky6

Kinky6

And so much cooler than the late '80's, when everything was getting painted pink and teal.... :rolleyes:

Sure nice to see so many '33-'34 Fords, I'd be happy to run a lot of those rods just the way they are, wide ovals and all.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

3. Thanks for posting these for me, Tommy. The green '34 Ford Coupe in the photos was for sale at the time for $5,000 !!

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

He was trolling...nobody would pay that much back then. You always jack the price up at the big events.:D

I have to admit that I had and actually wore in public a pair of pants like the guy standing behind the 34 cabriolet. What was I thinking? :eek:

This was before I joined the Capitol Street Rods inc. I joined in 78 and helped put on the event before they took it away from us and moved it to York.

5. Very cool pics, thanks :D

lothiandon1940 and HiHelix like this.
  6. ....I think this was the first year at Timonium after being held at Montgomery Junior College and obviously before the N.S.R.A. moved it to York.

7. Thanks Donnie and Tommy for posting. That brought back some memories. I've got a bunch from Timonium '74 and others on slides. Will post 'em when I get 'em converted.

8. It was the first year at Timonium. I was asked to take some pix of the opening ceremonies for publication. Did that and got the hot rods, too.

9. Very cool!!! My guess all these car where steel.

HiHelix likes this.
  10. donnie

donnie
    from NC

Nope guess again

chryslerfan55, Kan Kustom and HiHelix like this.
  11. Clark

Clark

Very Cool!!!!
    Clark

12. I think the Orange Model A with the Deuce shell and slotted mags belonged to N. Virginia hot rodder, Roger Shifflett. Any of you Virginia folks remember him or know if he's still around? He was a pretty good fabricator and did some custom paint work back then as well. ...Donnie.

13. God, we dressed funny back then! Neat hot rods tho!

HiHelix likes this.
  14. Gator

Gator

Good stuff - thanks.

HiHelix likes this.
  15. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

How about this one from Timonium 1978?

[​IMG]

Pete and Jake were on their nationwide tour with Jake's yellow coupe and Pete's *California Kid*......

CB

16. Maybe............... Maybe the Tee is glass!

HiHelix likes this.
  17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

2 questions... Who's the young guy on the right and why don't they make shirts like this anymore. I'd pay a little more as long as they don't get crazy. Mine all shrunk around the middle.

18. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Mine shrunk around the middle, too, Tommy......I think it may have become a shop rag.......Oh the horror......

CB

19. How many people remember "rod jousting"?:)

HiHelix likes this.
  20. They still do rod jousting at the Western Maryland Street Rod event in Cumberland, MD on Labor day weekend. It can be fun. Anyone remember "Wetter is Better"?

21. .....Did it involve young ladies in T-Shirts?:)

HiHelix likes this.
  22. Does he have a son named Mark who's also a car guy and lives in my neighborhood?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. sololobo

sololobo

Outstanding pix, the Pete and Jake shot is priceless history. Thanx so much for posting this cool stuff. I am wondering what the Chevy sedan is, looks like a 31-32 with a Victoria back. Cool if anyone knows what it is. ~sololobo~

HiHelix likes this.
  24. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

I was there/ I have a pin from the event around here somewhere.

HiHelix likes this.
  25. Thanks for posting these up. I was just a kid in the 70s, but have some of my own snaps from rod events down here. It was a nice era, before the horror of pastle, graphic paint and billet.

HiHelix likes this.
  26. I didn't make it till 76, but I still have the pin on my Northeastern Purple and White NSRA jacket!!

27. Mark T

Mark T

Hey CB, So who's the guy on the right in that picture?

HiHelix likes this.
  28. More early Timonium pic's. Stole these from Jeff Crocket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stolen from Jay Fitzhugh........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some pic's I took at Timonium.............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At one of the hotels...........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. ........Can't say for sure, didn't know much about his family. There were lots of Shiffletts in N. Virginia, particularly in the Alexandria area. The last time I actually saw Roger was in the 70's and I think he had moved down near Orange or Culpepper, somewhere past Leon's Salvage Yard....Don.

HiHelix likes this.