Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tilt column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powerrangervp, Nov 28, 2014.

1. powerrangervp

powerrangervp
    from arizona

On a GM style tilt column, can the tilting mechanism be adjusted, or reversed? We have a 56 F100, and the wheel will tilt up to the ceiling, or just barely past straight toward the driver. Any ideas?

2. Flip it over,the mechanism for the tilt will be on the wrong side but heck it will work. HRP

3. Slopok

Slopok

I don't think so.... if it has a keyed column that would be wrong along with the turn signal to.

4. David04Eagle

David04Eagle

You may have to drop the column down, I did that an just about every car I had.

5. I'm guessing you are starting off with the thing way too vertical.
    Dropping the wheel down and raising the firewall end up, that usually fixes the wheel angle but gives other issues too.

6. Here is an early GM van tilt in my old 56 F100. With stock column drop it also went up a little more than down but was fine.

image.jpg

7. Drewski

Drewski

I agree with 31 Vicky about how you have it mounted.. My column is out of a early 70's A body GM product and I raised where it went though the firewall and built a drop for it that puts it at about the right driving position.

[​IMG]

8. I've made my own so that the mustang box and shaft can fit in my '29 AA and adjust to put the steering wheel at a better angle. Not much room in an AA, especially for us taller folks (I'm 6'2"), so I've got to try every trick. I wanted to use the 1960 F-350 tube with the turn signal mechanism at the top, so I'm hybridizing. Gone through a couple of Beta versions, and about to craft the final (I hope) column and under-dash mount.

9. A generic answer for a question with no real information. HRP

10. Slopok

Slopok

Gotcha!

11. prpmmp

prpmmp

WTF So how useless do you feelo_O I don't know much but I guess all posts must have to go thru HRP for approval:eek: Pete

12. 42merc

42merc