Register now to get rid of these ads!

The other "Bon Jovi" car...a Kustom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Apr 11, 2004.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

A story of a Kustom car, and a great man.

In the post about Jon Bon Jovi's car in the magazine, I mentioned that his band member, Tico Torres, owned an even cooler car than Jon's. I've been looking though my old albums trying to find a good shot of it.
    Here it is.

The car was built by the guy who taught me how to do custom bodywork and paint, John Paszik. I was just a high school punk, with a ratty 57 Chevy convertible, that I wanted to learn how to fix up. I learned a lot of the mechanics of it from the local rodders, just a few years older than me, but I wanted to learn how to do up the body real nice, and paint it. The best guy around was John, so I went to work for him, just helping, and sweeping, and such, after school. Little by little, he taught me how to braze, and do custom bodywork, as I had already known the basics. He also taught me the black arts of custom painting, flames, candy paint, pearls, etc.
    I became a big fan of customized cars, especially John's car. He had built it as a teenager in the 50's, and still owned it. It took him years to build, keeping it in primer, until it was done. He, like me, learned the the trade by working for some of the better customizers in the business, and applying his new skills to his own car. The paint job, though, was done by one of NJ's premier customizers, in the 50's, Tony Bruskavich (SP?). It was a present from his father. I believe Tony mixed his own brew using a Kaiser color, and raw pearl powders.
    Anyhow, after paint, John had another Jersey legend, Leo, of Superior Interiors, do the upholstery work, while John was working for him.
    The car went on to do the indoor show circuit on the East Coast, winning all the major awards., sweepstakes, and such, for a few years. Since cars had to have changes done every year, to be eligible, so the car underwent a lot of evolution. Wide whites, and caps turned to "Shore Calendars" (Rader-like mags) and double pin whites, white pearl scallops were added, skirts removed, chromed T-Bird engine with 2 4s added, and on and on.
    When the custom car craze died off, John kept the Merc. He still drove it once in a while. When customs began to stage a comeback, in the mid 70's, John had never "dropped the torch" and was still chopping Mercs, and driving his Kustom 54. That's when I met him.

Over the years, his business ebbed and flowed. He eventually had problems keeping up with work, staying focused on things, and having personal problems. He went from shop to shop, until he lost it all. In the process, he wound up selling his Merc to a good friend to get out of some trouble. His father bought it back for him after a year, or so, but in another year, the same problems came back, and it was sold again.
    John wound up in a Nursing Home, and I still see him every month or 2. He can still remember everything that happened back 20 years ago, but cannot remember what we talked about 10 minutes ago. He's still a great guy, and I enjoy bringing him pictures from the car shows, and what I'm working on at the time. When I showed him the pictures from Sledscene East, and the "Barris' Pick" award I won....he cried. He was so proud of me, like I was his son.
    I always tell him, it was all due to his influence and teaching that I am what I am today.
    Back to the car. It went through a few hands, staying local, and I even helped one of it's owner's, Matty Wade, bring back the 50's touches to the car. We reinstalled skirts, which I miraculously matched in color to the green pearl, added Caddy caps, and wide whites to it.
    Matty sold it to Tico Torres, Bon Jovi's drummer, I believe. He has kept it as it is, and stores it in an aircraft hager with his plane. I have heard that it has been seen on the streets once in a while, which I'm very glad to hear. I am also hoping that if Tico wants to restore the car, the paint is polished down to primer in spots, he will give me a call. I'd do it for free, if I could drive it up to show John, before it's all over for him.

Attached Files:

2. Sukie

Sukie

Thats a good & sad story .. I know my grandmother is in the same shape as he it's like they just skiped 10 years and dont know what happened..

That would be great if he could see the car again and go out for a nice long ride ..
    you should try to get a hold of him I bet it could happen ..

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing that story. I hope you´ll get the call and your dreams will come true ! It feels good to make an old man smile.

4. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

......that's a sweet Merc, Mark. Thanks for the history and best wishes to John......... [​IMG]

5. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

pretty cool story. i really like the car as pictured, too. it'd be nice to see its current look brought back to 50s style.

6. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Your picture took me back over 20 years! I remember seeing that car back in the late '70s, probably at Fall Raceway Park and have a picture of it somewhere. Didn't realze it was a '50s survivor.

7. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i wish they'd had that car in R&C instead...

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Oddly enuf...

I was turned onto this site by a friend Anthony White. He told me there was a post about my uncle on here, Johnny Pazsik. I had to find it, and I really dig seeing a pic of his '54 Merc (a car I would LOVE to someday own..just don't have the bread)

The oddity of the story is that I only really met Johnny a handful or times or less, but somehow ended up following the same path as him...wierd right? I wish I could have known him better or could have gotten help learning the toughspots from someone that others speak so highly of (and who is a relative) but that didn't seem to be in the cards.

I daily drive a '53 flathead powered chopped '50 Merc 2 dr done in traditional drag and wouldn't have life any other way. The car is far from done but a constant work in progress, with a total investment of around $7500 to date. Just scored a '56 DeSoto 330 ci Hemi last nite, so that should go in sometime early '05.

There may be no explanation on how I followed the same path as someone I really never knew, but Im just glad to be in the driver's seat.

Thanx olds for posting a pic of my uncle's Merc.

Chris Pazsik
    Union NJ

9. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

..........that's pretty cool Chris.........welcome!! [​IMG]

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What a cool story and car. That car really is special, I lik it a lot.
    And welcome to you Chris. Are you going to be at The Rumbler's show in Brooklyn in August? It's like a twenty minute drive for you.

11. Agrv8r

Agrv8r

Great story...and I'm always happy to hear of guys sharing their trade & secrets with those to keep the art going the way it should.

12. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Great Story, thanks for taking the time to post it.

B [​IMG] B

13. burger

burger

Mark,

Cool story and cool car. I always dig the stuff from your old photo albums.

Ed

14. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

Olds,
    The history of our hobby is just too cool. It is good to hear about someone other than the universally famous for a change. Great story.
    Welcome Chris. Rich history in that car. Maybe your Merc can be something like that too.
    And...yeah...R&C would have done well to feature that car too.
    Michael

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Thanx guys...never knew about this site until Sunday nite...wish I had known sooner.

Nads, I might be out for the Rumblers show...truth be told I really dont go to many shows...kind of a loner. I went to the Road Agents last year as well as Lead East, and that was basically it (aside from the usual arrive @ 9 pm grease covered to the local show) I am in Brooklyn alot though...if you ever see a chopped black Merc honk & wave my man.

Chris

16. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I'm tossing around the idea of moving back there and one motivating factor is the Road Agents show! Do it up, lone wolf or not, life's too short NOT to go to car shows. There are too few of them back there to NOT check them out!

17. What a great story, it would be great to get him back in his car..one more time.

Someone on here must have some contacts somewhere...Right?

Dave

18. Impala53

Impala53

Thanks for sharing pics and story. Let John know there is a large group of people (HAMB) that really appreciate his talent and craftsmanship as shown in the photo.

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hi, Chris. I replied to your Email this morning! Glad you brought this back up top.
    Forgot to mention, you're invited to come down to the shop any time. I'm usually REAL busy, but if I can help you out with anything, just shout! Maybe pass on some of your uncle's knowledge down to you.

20. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

It's time to bring this back to the top!
    Here is a great photo of the Renegade from it's glory days that Anthony White once posted in another thread! I would love to see more photos of this one! Anyone?

[​IMG]

21. Badass. I like old threads too. I get lost reading on here sometimes......with all the amazing things posted. Someone will get mad and tell you....."dude.....it's ten years ago".....lol Fuck 'em. Cool car

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Nah, no one will get mad, but I'll tell you. Hey, "the thread is ten years old"...!!!

R-

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

24. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Sadly John passed away 2 years ago. His Merc was eventually bought by another local hero custom guy, Bob Barkoff. He changed the car around a bit, some good things. like putting split bumpers in back, to match the front, but some more modern touches, like lake pipe covers, with slots cut out in the, He removed the fender vents, modernized the driveline, and painted the car a bronze color.
    Last I heard, it was sold to a collector in NY state.

25. mr shiftys used cars

mr shiftys used cars
    from sedalia,mo

Beautiful car and great story

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!