Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Niekamp Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2008.

1. That's the America's Most Beautiful Roadster (AMBR) 9ft trophy (referenced in Ryan's Bog) ... the Niekamp Roadster won the first ever AMBR award at the 1950 National Roadster Show (which was held in the Oakland Exhibition Hall, Tenth & Fallon St in Oakland).

Each year's AMBR winner gets his name engraved on the 9ft trophy ... and takes home a much smaller version of trophy (& $$$).

2. Brandi

Brandi

Outstanding car.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Thanks, always good to learn something new. Not that I was worried or anything. Pretty solid bet I likely won't ever be up for winning it.

4. mcload

mcload

Could someone explain something to me? In the introductory photos is one of the generator resting between the carb and left head. I see NO band around the generator holding it to the bracket. Can someone explain how the generator is being held down? Or is it just painted black and not visible in the photo?
    I may need to do something like this myself.

Thanks in advance.
    Patrick

5. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's a cylinder head mounted bracket. The generator has a fork on the front that bolts to it.

Attached Files:

6. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

The Niekamp roadster is one of my all time favorites. I've seen it in person and it is just awe inspiring. If I could clone this car I would. (if I had $1900 bucks) But then it would be tough to figure out what headlights to run, because it looks so good without them. Whitey Clayton was one of the best!

Cynthia Brink likes this.
  7. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

This is amazing. Just last night I was going through some old boxes and found a small stash of Rod and Custom, Drag Racing and Sports Car magizines a friend had given me ten years ago but I hadn't looked through them yet. Then this morning I read Ryan's blog and recognized the dash of the car. I came home from work and confimed my suspicions. One of the magazines a Febuary 1971 Rod and custom had a feature story on the Niekamp roadster " first in series: revamping the Niekamp ' 29 for the street" . Before the revamp the car was a maroonish color with a '57 Buick engine with a louvered hood and side panels. nice story, I wish I has the rest of the series.

The same rag had an article on putting a 327 in a 49/52 Chevy, a great article on Earl Ebersole of FlatRock, OH and his ability to hotrod a Model T and A engine (had a stock looking T that went 80mph). As well as an an article on the rising cost of street rodding parts. All (4) articles are still very relevent topics.

Tad

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

28-9 Roadsters have always been my favorite. I took a pic of this roadster at Visalia
    Roadster Roundup I believe it was 1970. Jake had just bought the car. Always been
    IMO one of the top 2 or 3. The Flint 29 was pretty cool also. Thanks Ryan for the
    post, the early 60's was really the era I got started in this crazy hobby. Bob

9. McKee

McKee

I love that Car!

When Bob Petersen bought it from Jake he paid $250,000 ...a steal!

10. autobilly

autobilly

I think that HRM and Von Moldy summed it up perfectly!

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my all time favorites and right now it's upstairs and out of the Vault. I was at the Peterson Museum a few weeks ago and probably spent the most time staring at that car.

12. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Just for the heck of it--what if a windscreen like the one in Fidgeter's icon got grafted on to the roadster? Better than the big square 70's windscreen...

And I'll show off my continued FNG status --- what are the headlights called with the small diameter light then it swells then tapers off to look like an old airplane engine housing or bomb? Anyways, if I had to put headlights on it, I'd use those.

Not that it isn't as cool as everyone says already.

just sayin'

Joe

13. Those torpedo like headlights are E&J. Never a production light, only used on specials. Originally are very pricey but repops are now in the aftermarket.
    Word on the street was that they didn't put out very much light and were illegal in many states.

14. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for the schoolin', Rich.

Joe

15. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

I tried some Googling around, but couldn't determine what steering box is in it, with the pitman arm up like that. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

16. axle

axle
    from Drag City

This is true buddy. Remember when you,Kevan,and I went down there? I couldn't believe my eyes !

Ray Brown roadster was parked down there too !

17. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I'll be the first to say it. I've always liked this car ten times more than the Dick Flint roadster !

18. littlefreedom2

littlefreedom2

I really would like to know what kind of horsepower this thing would produce. I'm an old f_rt who tinkered with flatheads when I was a kid. The only way we knew if something worked or not was to watch the speedo and view how much rubber was left on the road. With dynos so common today, how come horsepower ratings aren't supplied more?

19. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

its a model of the best in roadster design for that period. I would clone it because of what it represents in hot rodding.

20. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Looking at the car its easy to see why Hudson Joe is so inspired by it.

21. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

35 ford

any 35-48 ford box could be run the same way, turned 90 degrees from stock position

opposite rotation of a 28-34 box

the box is mounted lower in the car now then originally, i believe changed when the car went to an OHV engine but for some reason not changed back

Zach

22. DWIGHT was out of site! man...

23. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

Thanks, Zach, for confirming what I was hoping: post '34 box, flipped 90. I've wondered how common this was in that era, as that's what I'm doing in my car ('26 T on A frame) 'cause a '40 column and box is what I have. I suspect the case may have been the same back then.

24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I've done it on 2 cars now, copied from this and Dye's car mainly :)
    maybe Whitey Clayton had something to do with that idea?

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

?

-Dave

26. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

I was at a friends house not long ago looking at pics when he used the photoshop reverse angle feature to flip a picture. I figured sure it will, since the fellow was standing on the right side of the car with his left leg on the running board but sure enough when it flipped his right leg was up on the left running board, ain't technology great:D

27. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

no no.....when it was first built and won the AMBR it had a bunch of things different then how it was restored...
    steering location, gauges....etc.....

28. cretin

cretin

Just recently got to see it at the Peterson Museum Vault a couple weeks ago. One of my favorites

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Not one of you guys said what made it whine, A Cyclone quickie!
    I used to drop by Jakes on roadtests and just stare at the A and the 34. Never dug the interior on the coupe, but understand why it is what it is.
    The Niekamp is just the cats meow! The hairpins are gorgeous, not too much chrome and a great track nose!
    Now all I have to do is to get Zach get my A body to PA. and have him screw me together a similiar version albeit with a v'd windscreen. :)

30. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

ship-er out! :)