Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Model T Speedster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blitzen142, Jul 2, 2012.

1. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

[​IMG]

Hello H.A.M.B friends,

I am a 20 years old and from Southern California. I am new to the forum and near the begining of my speedster build. The car is being fit together in pieces from my dads garage, friends collection of junk and parts Ive bought. I am a full time student back on the East Coast so I only have the summer to complete the project, and I hope this thread will help me accomplish that goal and keep me on track.
    I have done a fair bit of reading on T's ( Secrets of Speed, Model T handbook and a few others) but there is always more to learn and you guys really know your stuff, any help suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. If you do not like the way the project is going or the styling choices I would also like to hear from you.
    I have grown up around old race cars and I have always wanted one of my own. The smell of the exhaust out of the straight pipes of a prewar car and the distinguished sound of each piston firing is something I cant wait to be able to call my own. The project as it stands now is about 1/4 of the way there. So far I have all of the work on the frame completed (with exception of shocks if I decide I want or need those) I have dropped the frame a significant amount. I have been playing with the idea of getting a Schroeder steering box like on the later sprint cars.

The Go:
    5 Main Bearing Block, SR Frontenac OHV or a 4 valve Rajo ( I need some help deciding which one) I have heard good thing about both but there seems to be a bit more literature on the SR. Love to hear your opinions.

Warford Transmission, Ruckstell rear axle

21" Buffalo wire wheels

The stop:
    Rockey Mountain Brakes

Here are a few photos of the project.

http://blitzen142.imgur.com/all

The goal is to get the tires on the wheels, get the donor engine running and figure get the stock steering working this week.
    I will upload photos tonight so if there is anything you would like better detail of just let me know.
    -Blitzen

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    leroux likes this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell yes! Looking good so far.

3. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Wow, nothing like a T! Looks real good, you have done a lot of work so far, you should be encouraged by what you have got done....keep us posted!

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

This thing is going to be awesome when it's all together and your collection of goodies is impressive! I'm so glad you started a build thread for this...look forward to following it.

Clayton

5. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Good on you for doing this! Keep us posted on your progress ... it's always good to see someone working on a Model T. This forum prides itself on being "traditional" but sometimes forgets that life as we know it didn't begin in 1932, and hotrodding didn't begin in 1946.

6. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Subscribed ... Looking forward to this build.

Ron

7. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

Thanks all, I appreciate the enthusiasm. Garry that is very well said. Hotrodding has been around from far before 32 and hopefully Ts can help remind people of that.

8. T speedsters can be a fun build. You'll have a ball when it's done. An SR Fronty or Rajo head is a pretty lofty goal for a first build, especially if you're on a budget. Real pricey pieces, especially if they need any repair work. Also, a 5 main crank would be nice, but, again, real pricey with the block mods required. A better start might be an A crank set up for oil pressure, and a high compression flathead. I built this T in '84 with an A crank and rods, Egge 8:1 pistons and a rocker arm Fronty. Later I changed to one of Jim Culbert's aluminum Rajo copy heads. With an over drive and a 2 speed Ruxtell rear end, it would easily top 80mph. I ran the snot out of it for 8 years doing endurance runs in San Diego, San Jose, Portland and up in Washington. The 3 main A crank and rods were still in perfect shape when I sold the car in '95. I ran a VW oil pump off the rear of the cam. Just some advice and experience form one who's been there and done that.

[​IMG]

9. Kume

Kume

I,m subscribed - looking forward to regular updates.

Kume

10. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Subscribed and looking forward to watching your build progress.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Look forward to seeing the photos, I've got a collection of original literature so feel free to ask questions. Bob

13. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

14. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Looks good so far! Hope you belong to your local Model T Club. They are a great source for information, parts, help and they can use some young blood.

15. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

Hey all, thanks for stopping by. Here are the newest photos I took last night while in the shop. Crazybillybob I do not have a detailed photo of the attachment but I am happy to post one soon. The new photos include details of a beautiful Winfield that I would like to use(but I think its too damn big), both the Rajo and the Fronty, and the Tires and wheels. Enjoy.
    http://blitzen142.imgur.com/all

As far as progress goes we made a box to hold the battery and also acts as a structural brace for the Warford.

Dean I really appreciate the advice and I am keeping to a budget but I was lucky enough to have my father give me the Fronty head as a gift. We found the Rajo in storage (he had forgotten about it) shortly after. I understand I am putting a lot of money into the car but I am looking at it as a long term investment. I personally do not have the technical knowledge to do all that needs to be done and you are right it is a lofty goal but luckily I have friends who have done it all before who are helping me along the way. 80mph sure is fast and that is really impressive to have done such. I am not sure how fast this one is going to go but I am sure it will be enough to scare me!

16. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Use the SR Fronty. The Rajos that could match the SR Fronty would be the cross flow BB or the BBR. I don't think you will have any trouble using that gorgeous Winfield. I have run 2 inch Winfields on Model T's without problems. The SR head you have is a much sought after piece. I searched for years before I found mine. You have an unbelievable start.

17. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Nice selection of parts....

You are going to be bussy using all those gears and trying to hold on to the steering wheel and throttle!

My Dad is building a RAJO head T speedster and I have some pics in my albums (take a look) but I have not started a thread for him yet, though I should.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll help you if you allow me to see the photos. Just post them like normal HAMB members do, no need for secrets unless you don't want help. Bob

19. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

you talking to me??

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

No, not you, the guy that started this thread. There is a link to a site with an empty album. What use is that? Bob:confused:

21. wow great start and hard to find parts,this should be a good thread, subscribed!!

22. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

The37Kid, too bad the link is not working for you, but here they are. Did not mean to be secretive in the slightest just thought having all the photos in one place would be easiest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Blitzen

23. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Holy Smokes...I am subscribed. Can't wait for updates.

24. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

I am out of town this weekend at the Milwaukee Mile for Millers at Milwaukee, if your at the event stop by the Blitzen or the Isotta and say hello. I wont be making any progress on my build but I will upload some photos from the race day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Billy

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man, this makes the blood boil...especially with all these 'T' parts I have!

(And years of bulkhead cutting and skinning large scale model airplanes)

26. RussTee

RussTee

loving this hotrodding at its basic best and man what parts to start with this has got to be good.

27. refried confusion

refried confusion

[​IMG]
    Great thread. Here's a picture of my friends speedster engine, He has a Rojo head and another Frontenac head that will eventually replace this one.

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

You know....if your friend doesn't want this motor....he can give it to me and I would GLADLY run it my T :rolleyes: :D

lol!

29. Did you build the body bucks, or have they been used on previous projects?
    This is a very cool build. It looks like you are a very lucky young man! You obviously have a good support structure.
    But, your father is lucky as well, in that you share his love of old cars. I can't wait to see this thing unfold.

Alden

30. You're living my dream, man. I'll be looking forward to updates.