Register now to get rid of these ads!

The missing..1932 Roadster Highboy Hotrod find from 1959

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, May 2, 2007.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I cant keep it in any longer. Matt, "Whiskeyrunner" and Megan came across a find of the century.
    The date is 1959... two young guys from Ohio traveled to California to buy two hotrods. each came back with a 1932 roadster.
    Both were hotrodded and had built flattys in them. Both had all the aftermarket speed and frill equipment hanging off them.
    One of these guys we know and is now in his 70's. He has driven his car and cared for it for decades and is now sprouting a beautiful ardun engine in it. He has an invitation to take this car to Detroit for the anniversary celebration.
    He told us years ago about the "missing roadster"
    The other fellow only had driven this car for 500 miles and decided to install an early hemi in it. He had troubles handling the car and with the engine and pulled it. The car sat for almost 50 years untouched.
    The fellow past away years ago and we never knew for sure what happened to the car but heard his ladyfriend wouldn't divulge its location or communicate with his frends. Rumor was said the car may have been sold and long gone.
    1 week ago Matt gets a lead on a 32 not knowing what it was or if it was in fact a 32. He arrives and finds it buried under 32 NOS fenders and parts in a small garage. So covered it couldnt even be identified at first. After two full days of removing parts there it was...
    "the Missing roadster" In all its glory!
    Untouched since 1960 only driven 500 miles with the Hemi removed and two other hemis by its side. I haven't taken any pictures yet but Megan should have some to add here.
    :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

....and it couldnt have happend to a better guy!

4. Pics!pics!pics!

5. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I guess I didn't write the post fast enough...

Most of what Petejoe says is true. Three guys from Ohio wanted some real California hot rods like they read about in Hop Up, Rod & Custom and the like so they headed out west first in the summer of '57, then again in the fall of '59 and lastly in the fall of '61 to each get their real Cali rods.

The '32 we stumbled upon was brought back to Ohio in the fall of '59. It was purchased from a George Kirk (anyone out there know George by any chance?) in Santa Monica, CA. At the time it was purchased it had a hopped up, strong running Flatty. For some reason though the new buyer had a fascination with Hemis and decided that would be the way to go. So he beefed up the frame, made new mounts and dropped a '57 Hemi in it.

From what his friends say he drove it very little (as in less than 500 miles!) once he brought it home because it was so hard to handle with the Hemi.

Fast forward to present day. There was always "legend" that this car was still around since the three original owners all still owned their cars. However the owner of our '32 died last fall and consequentually a battle of in-laws, out-laws, x's and the like began. Talk around here was the car would never be seen again in this area.

So this past Monday we get a call from a mutual acquaintance here in town saying he had found some '32 parts and wondered if Matt was interested in looking at them. He also mentioned that there was a roadster in there that he thought she wanted way too much for. He was told to meet this acquaintance at his shop at five sharp and to come alone, not even bring me (grrrrrrrr). And to not tell anyone!

So over the course of the day at work (Matt and I work at the same place) Matt tells me about it of course and complains that he has a lot to do and doesn't really want to go with him and we comiserate on the amount of time we waste on wild goose chases each week. I encouraged him to go because you never know what you might find....

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

So, this is what he found...

Attached Files:

7. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Unbelievable find. Congrats!

Did you get the other parts that were in the barn? If so What did you find.

Very cool story.

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

did he buy some lottery tickets on the way home?

nice find!

9. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Yes, it is missing its doors. I guess they were off the car and she sold them to a guy who told her they weren't '32 doors or off roadster (i hope Karma bites him a BIG one!). So if ya have some doors, give me a hollar.

Anyways...
    I was out working in my shop on my '48 GMC when I got an urgent call from Matt telling me to get in my truck and on the road because he just found THE deuce!
    Needless to say I couldn't drive fast enough. It was about 20 minutes from my house but it seemed like an eternity!
    The next few hours were spent treasure hunting for the parts to the car and engine. I am sad I never met the guy that owned the car, judging by his stuff he was a really neat hot rodder. Unfortunately the Hemi wasn't just sitting there like Petejoe said, it was EVERYWHERE! The pistons were in the house attic, the block in the basement(!) and various other parts scattered between a shop, an attic and a basement. I don't know why he didn't keep them together but it made it like a real live treasure hunt!

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

shit fire...

11. jdrew

jdrew

Very cool story, what a find!

Any pictures of the stash/garage before it was unburied?

12. bustingear

bustingear

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

NFW Congratulations!!

14. Damm.......

Awesome story

15. Dammit, things like this never happen to me

(but I'm glad they still happen)

Good on ya.

16. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm thrilled for you guys, it could not have happened to nicer, more-deserving folks! Have you stopped pinching yourselves yet?:D

17. asher

asher

That's a amazing find. Congrats on that. I am every one here cant wait to see it put back together again.

18. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

It is funny you mention that. I was actually literally pinching myself while we were treasure hunting. All that night I dreamed about it. I called Matt in the morning and told him to make sure it was still out in the shop and that it all just wasn't a dream!

19. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Any old pictures of it too? Great find and glad it's in the right hands. Sucks about the doors though.

20. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Holy Shit!!!!! Wow That Is An Amazing Find. Congrats!!!

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I just get back from vacation and was only ten minutes from getting off the plane and I get a phone call. Here's Megan talking so fast I couldnt even understand half of what she said other than it was the lost roadster and nothing but hemi's and 32 parts all over the place.
    Yes, Matt got all the 32 parts and all the hemis and the roadster.
    The place is still full of stuff we care not to mention at this point.
    Other cars are in here...
    The roadster is as solid as the day in 59. Hell the inner panels still have undercoating on them. I seen no dents..nothing.
    the thing only needs an engine electrical and some interior work and its ready to drive.
    Yes those are real mags in the back.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  22. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I guess there are old pictures, documents and clippings she said she would give to us when she found them. To say that the house is bursting at the seams with stuff would be an understatement:eek:
    A few of our other friends that were friends with him said they have pics of the car as well they would share so we could copy and stuff.

I guess the doors didn't match anyways. I heard last night that the set that came on it weren't very good and were all leaded up by another buddy of ours back in the day. So then he got a new set (when I say new I mean new to the car back in the 60s or so, way before re-pops) and never painted them to match but had them on, then off. She said the doors she sold were green BUT this past weekend was the big Canfield swap meet so I'm pretty much convinced they are long gone.:mad: Bastards!

23. Congratulations guys.

What a score...

JH

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

25. Unreal!!! I am happy for you. Congratulations

26. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

WOW!!! Someday.....

27. Way too cool, and you were jealous of the intake I found at Canfield. HA.....Everyone in this world of hot rods is jealous of you guys right now....Glad to see it is in the right hands. Will be to cool to have another red old roadster in the hood! Congrats.. er, need anyhelp moving all that other old stuff:D

28. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Holy crap!

This isn't the 3 deuce roadster story that was in TRJ a couple issues back is it? I am almost positve it mentioned one of them pulling out an Ardun.

29. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Awesome.