Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

no, you're doing great. everything your posting is greatly appreciated.
    I just wish that instead of naming so many tracks, Ascot, they would have been a little more creative. Its the fact that so many tracks that were named "Ascot" thats causing allthe trouble. Especially since everyone reading this probably only attended races at the last Ascot, Ascot Park

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Mines Field in Los Angeles, Calif., 1934

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Los Angeles motorcycle police standing at attention during inspection by Police Chief Heath, circa 1924

This pic is also under the heading "Studebaker automobile", so I guess they're Studes:
    [​IMG]
    New Los Angeles police cars lined up in front of Albertson Motor Company building, circa 1925

[​IMG]
    Three Los Angeles plain-clot<WBR>hed police men crouched behind car aiming their guns, circa 1925

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Culver City Speedway, Calif., 1927

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya'll indulge me here, I just can't resist:

[​IMG]
    Panorama City, Calif., 1964

Our Aussie mates will dig this:
    [​IMG]
    Jay Langham and Hugh Innes-Brow<WBR>n displaying great white shark that was caught off Southern California Coast, 1976. It was the fourth great white shark caught off Southland waters in last two months. :eek:

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more slightly O/T, and I promise to behave:

[​IMG]
    ALL-STAR LINEUP--A dozen of the world's top racing drivers who will compete in Internatio<WBR>nal Race of Champions this weekend pose around one of the identical Porsche Carrera cars they will drive. From left, are: A.J. Foyt, Roger McCluskey, Bobby Allison, Denis Hulme, Emerson Fittipaldi<WBR>, Gordon Johncock, Richard Petty, Peter Revson, George Follmer, David Pearson, Mark Donohue and Bobby Unser. Riverside Calif., 1973

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    "Gasoline War" at 3rd Avenue and Beverly in Los Angeles, Calif., 1954

8. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

I went to that race. Richard Petty took it so seriously he bought a Porsche to practice with back home. They only used the Porsches the first year. I have poor quality snapshot photos someplace.

Kurt O.

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Legion Ascot was in East Los Angeles from 1924-36
    You can see the speedway right above it's name in white on the right. You are looking west. Ramona Blvd. was renamed the San Bernardino Freeway (I-10). County Hospital (LAC/USC) is labeled and has been a landmark for 70 years. As you can see, the speedway's grandstands faced east.

[​IMG]

looking the same direction, but from the ground...as it is today

[​IMG]

another aerial photo taken after the speedway was closed, but you can still see it on the right. The road on the right towards the top is Huntington Drive and if you were to follow it to the right, out of frame, you'd be in Alhambra

[​IMG]

This is the best shot that I have seen which shows how, for some races, they would use the main race track and then run up the hills into a road course section and then back to the regular track. Must have been alot of fun. The course would cross over itself with a bridge. This is looking north-east.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

using the "road course"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Funny that two of the coppers are well armed with a Thompson and a B.A.R but the third guy has only a .38. He should have had a .45 or something. They are probably Bank Robbery Detail as they were usually better armed.

11. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

MAZOOMA, Since your the king of now and then shots. I've been looking for pics, now and then of Corana speedway. Reason is my cousin lives in a newer house that I believe is on the start finish line. Also I did not know there was more than one Ascot Park the one I was refering to is the Ascot in Gardena. thanks Lance

12. mtrhd

mtrhd

LA brochure circa 1953-just the facts, ma'am!

Attached Files:

13. Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  14. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Love this Machine Shop photo! I've heard from old-timers how machine shops back then were operated by a complex series of ceiling mounted pulleys and leather belts. I'd love to have seen an original but missed my chance about 10 years ago. The local St. Louis Post Dispatch had reported that an old building downtown had been purchased and was going to be renovated in to apartment lofts that have become so popular. Anyway, to everyone's surprise, there was an all original, absolutely untouched 1920-30's era Machine Shop in the basement that everybody just seemed to have forgotten about. Nobody knew anything about it! They reported that it was like everybody went home from work one day from it and never just never returned. I REALLY regret not going downtown just to check it out and snap photos.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  15. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Whoops! The photo from this thread posted earlier.

Attached Files:

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Ed Pink....master engine builder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

another L.A. styling legend, Larry Watson

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Funny I remember going to shows at the Pan Pacific in the late '60s and seeing cars with little signs near them the said "Larry Watson did not paint this car so& so did, in Watsons shop" always wondered what was up with that, I used to pass by Watsons shop on Firestone all the time was that another of his or a spin off?

19. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Another Drive In. Simmons had several, we have none now.

Attached Files:

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yeah, but we still have "In 'n Out" and "Tommys" and "The Hat"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. 61TBird

61TBird

Hey Doug(Mazooma1),
    I think we (the HAMB) need to lock you in a Secret Bunker until you put together a book....:D

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

another L.A. spot where magic was created was the Shelby assemby plant that was housed in what was the American Airlines hanger on Imperial Highway south of the runways of LAX.
    The GT350's and GT500's were outfitted with all the Shelby goodies after being delivered by the truckload from Ford. My Dad got one of the last one's "built" at this location in June of 1967.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shelby American

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

WOW!!!! terrific shots...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. I second that! I used to spend a lot of time in the workshop at Shel's Cobra dealership on La Brea (a one-time Rambler showroom!) when I was around 11-13 years-old (1964-66). The guys in the shop were very patient (as was Carroll) with all my questions about things mechanical. I still have the Ford Performance catalogue Shel gave me in '66 and around 20 years ago, a mutual friend said that he still remembered me from those days! :eek:

Thanks for posting those pics.

27. rokcrln

rokcrln

So my wife went down to my Grandfathers today with our son and she did her best to get a few pics. Only a few were from LA but they are good. Since the pics had small white writing at the bottoms she took a separate pic so we could see what it said. These are of my great Grandfathers underground parking garages that he started at the beginning of the century. I am not sure what he had to do with the gasoline station and the last pic I think was a business he started in NJ before coming to LA about 1911 or so. Hope you enjoy them.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      43.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      23.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      56.6 KB
      Views:
  28. [​IMG][/QUOTE] Nice.....The six Daytona's?

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Nice.....The six Daytona's?[/QUOTE]

Yup, when they were done accomplishing what their were built to do, you could have picked one up for $4,000 from Shelby's shop in L.A. They were in the way and were no longer needed
    [​IMG]

30. Wow...I didn't know that Doug.....I remember when they found the missing one in that storage unit.....did'n't the first buyer get it for 750K and then sell it for 4 million? by the way...thanks for all the great pics.....they bring back a lot of good memories growing up here.....