Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Covered Wagon Deuce Sedan Build Complete With Crummy Cell Phone Pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gonzo, Nov 30, 2014.

1. gonzo

gonzo

All of my friends and anyone following me on IG knows that I bought a deuce sedan last Thanksgiving. It was kind of an impulse buy as it was the first chance I ever had to buy a 32 at a price that was within my budget; and I've wanted one of these things a loooong time. For now I'm calling this car the covered wagon deuce because its the last "uncut" tudor, when I chop it I'll have to change the name.

It took me a year to finish my last project and shuffle stuff around sufficiently to get the tudor into the 16 by 17 foot garage-mahal that I've got nestled in the city. Well its in there now and work has begun. This is going to be a long term project that will be on again off again as time and money allow. I already have one car on the road and feel more urgency to do this car right than to do it quickly. The plan for now is fender-less, 3' chop, full hood, nice rake with wire wheels. the drive train isn't set in stone as I have a couple options but they are all overhead valve with stick transmission options.

Here's a few shots from when I picked it up.

The sign that it was for sale.

32thread.JPG

What you saw when you opened the door

32thread2.JPG

After 30 minutes of digging

32thread3.JPG

On the trailer

32thread4.JPG

Dirty but victorious

32thread5.JPG

Back into hot rod purgatory.

32thread6.JPG

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Looks like a great start

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Mine is uncut also so yours isnt the last one. nice find!

4. brady1929

brady1929

5. Ditto

6. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Looks like a darn nice body.

7. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

8. Mine's uncut, also.
    Nice find, any doors?

9. Mine's cut...hard...

Outback, Runnin shine and kiwijeff like this.
  10. gonzo

gonzo

Its pretty decent. Floors and wheel wells were shot but the rest was good. I found a nice stock sedan floor and have it trimmed and tacked in place now. Still working on the wheel wells.

It had doors too, sort of. The doors were off the body and stored in an inaccessible loft space when we came to terms on a price. When I was picking up the car I finally got to see them after digging thirty years of junk off the car and finding a ladder... they were total garbage, beyond garbage, the memory of doors and just the faintest distant memory at that. We did a little renegotiation of the price and everything worked out fine.

Since then I bought two new workable doors and then found a mint set and bought those too, so now I have six doors.
    [​IMG]

11. Love the tudor sedans,,mine is un-chopped also. HRP

Nobey likes this.
  12. Looks great....so I will follow along as deuce sedans are hard to beat.

13. Wow, nice score on the new doors!

14. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I was raised around deuce tudors and never get tired of seeing a new project pop up -- keep the pics coming!

gonzo likes this.
  15. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Cool score! More pics! More pics!

16. Wow.....all these uncircumcised 32's showing up.....go native !! I like the low lids....but 'tis nice to see them built with full glass rolling around too. Seeing the Alter Boy stamp.....I know this one will be righteous indeed. Good luck with your build man !

Outback and gonzo like this.
  17. AHotRod

AHotRod

Glad you finally found one after all these years.
    Glenn

18. I've had my share of whacked top cars when I was a kid but now that I'm getting long in the tooth I appreciate the ease of entry and not having to lean over to see stop lights. HRP

AllDeuceRun_053114_1706-L-1.jpg

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Congrats on the new '32. I've lusted over them for over 50 years having owned 7 original ones and a Brookville roadster waiting in wings. I to like them stock height but my 2dr. had a crushed top when I bought it and with a salvageable doner it now has a 2 3/16" chop (it's as close to stock as we could get it mating the 2 halves together. Keep us posted on the progress................I live for anything pertaining to Deuces.

Frank

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. gonzo

gonzo

Heres the floor after trimming out the bad parts. As you can see there wasn't much left

[​IMG]

And here is a picture of the new OG floor after getting it trimmed and tacked. I installed a new front cross brace and riveted the floor back to it today but I don't have an updated picture. I've been really lucky so far with finding real 32 pars but I'm still searching for wheel wells.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  21. gonzo

gonzo

Haha! I've got plenty of work to do before I visit the Moel. I'll build it and put some shake down miles on it before I cut it.

This is a picture I look at sometimes as I debate the cut no cut options.

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm hoping you do get it driving before you ever think about chopping it. I'm not a restorer, but I've had my fill of heavily chopped '32's. They look great, but they're a pain in the neck. My next one will be unchopped.

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

I agree with Larry ^^^^^ 100%

If I could "Un-Chop" my Coupe, I would have done it.

nunattax and 3wLarry like this.
  24. Pete

Pete

CHOP IT FIRST.....it'll get the juices flowing.....rather than having a grandma car with a tall roof.

25. Although I'm one of the least qualified to comment on driving heavily chopped hot rods, I think that there can be a happy medium between chopped and comfortable. They don't all need 5" taken out of them to look good in my opinion. 3" and some sensible seating should make for a great usable ride. Hopefully I will know sooner rather than later.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  26. gonzo

gonzo

I have to get the body tightened up to the point where it'll maintain its form when the roof comes off. Last night I got both the doors hung and started working on a couple tricky patch panels, in other words I'm not going to eat desert until I'm done with my vegetables.
    I've been amazed lately at the amount of people who advocate for not chopping a hot rod, to me theres really no question, I'm not one for top hats so its getting cut, probably 4 inches but I may show some restraint and do 3 1/2.
    From last night
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mikel50, mgtstumpy, Dave Mc and 4 others like this.
  27. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Hey Gonzo, if you need a little more room for the build, you can slide that Guzzi into my garage! Love those sedans!

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Envious here, but wish you well. That's a beauty, kudos on your door finding.
    Nice clean work so far, I also noted that '32 heavy up front...

29. Roadsir

Roadsir

I like it...That a pretty nice body, and I like both unchopped and chopped, if you're going to cut it I'd go 4".

30. titus

titus

if i remember correctly i chopped this one 4" sorry it isnt he best pic
    MVC-018S.JPG

my advice is DONT lean the A pillars back, strech the roof, Also Dont wedge the roof much, this one is probably wedge chopped 1/4 inch. now that is my opinion, other like it wedges and slanted pillars but ive never been a fan of. only car that needs slanted pillars are 3 window ford coupes!

And let me know what your gonna do with your extra doors, i have a doorless tudor/vicky project!