Register now to get rid of these ads!

"The Car" 1977 Film

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WC, Aug 25, 2010.

1. pecker head

pecker head

I was in the 7th grade when I seen it ! Damn what a CAR !

2. Didn't miss much......:rolleyes::)

3. whamoman

whamoman
    from USA

Dennis Braid built the original car at Barris' shop. Bob Butts had the original car in his 'Fantasy Cars' museum down by El Cajon for years. When he died most all his collection was sold off. He built a number of Batmobiles and Futuras as well.

4. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

That was a cool movie, I also remember a spinoff movie with the same theme but instead they used a black chevy p/u as the star,I only remember seeing it once or twice and can't remember the name of it......Rich

5. RichG

RichG

Okay, the movie was called "Nightmares"... it had four separate stories in it, one of them had Lance Henrikson (sp?) as a priest who loses his faith and is chased by a possessed pickup truck. I'd forgotten all about this movie, now I need to go find it on Netflix!:p

Check the bio on it here:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086014/

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDFQGupTYlA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDFQGupTYlA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  6. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

Fantasy Cars is what I was talking about

7. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Electrodude, Thanks for the help. I had a 74 GMC Gentleman Jim long bed p/u at the time and I wanted to make a clone of it, but could never remember or find the movie, Now I gotta look for the movie, now that I have the name to add to my movie collection,Thanks again.....Rich

8. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

There's a legend in New Jersey of a real "Ghost Truck"-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Road_(New_Jersey)#Ghost_truck

I tend to think it's just some drunken good ol' boy having a little fun with the tourists, though!:p

9. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Chuck. you got it right. there were a few trucks involved with it, I knew one of the kids that participated in the activities trying protect our partying locations from the outsiders looking for all the other myths of this road. and thats why I wanted to build the clone at the time..... Rich

10. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Here`s a menacing looking car concept.. I don`t recall where I swiped it

Attached Files:

11. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I had that horn on my truck, I changed it because this little kid about 7 says hey mister blast your horn, OKEY DOKEY, so I did just like THE CAR, poor kid pee'd himself and his mom went nuts on me, I still have a welt on my noggin.

12. Another great movie car was the 50s Bat Mobile I think it was a 50 merc with fins?

13. RichG

RichG

14. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Yup a portable semi air horn. You could take the girlfriend out for a nice movie, show her this flick and drive by her house at 2 am, I don't know why but not too many girls dads really liked me much, maybe it was causea the van. Could not have been the horn, love the horn.

15. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Stu, saw on another thread posted by Nitro F/C he's going to be on Long Island this weekend.....Rich

16. terryr

terryr
    from earth

I remember the girlfriend with the painted on pants and big boobs!

17. They don't have it.:mad:

18. I had to pull this one out this morning and watch it again. I never noticed, or maybe I didn't realize who he was last time I watched The Car, but notorious Satanist Anton Le Vey was quoted in the start of the movie, "Oh great brothers of the night who rideth upon the hot winds of hell, who dwelleth in the Devil's lair; move and appear" According to Wikkipedia, he was a "technical advisor". What with the Satanic implications of the film, seems apt.

19. superleggera

superleggera

I think the auction was in 1984 (or '83?) -- I came over from New Mexico at the time on vacation and bid the car to $2400. Sold for @$3200 if I remember correctly -- nobody wanted it. The bodywork was pretty rough as it was slapped together cheap (low budget movie). I still remember all the sanding marks beneath the paint. Inner fenders, inner roof, etc -- all goober welds and hacked together. The fiberglass stunt cars were even more nastier still and didn't sell possibly.

Too bad I was a starving college student at the time and didn't have more funds... I wanted the primary film car it as it would have been fun to drive down the freeway and see peoples reactions as you followed them!

20. moefuzz

moefuzz

what a great film

21. RichG

RichG

About Nightmares:

I know:cool: I did find some VHS copies on Amazon for less than $8... they have a special edition DVD... cheapest was $68?:confused: I like bad movies more than the next guy but still, c'mon, that's a lot of bread for a '80's B-movie...

22. RichG

RichG

Here's another beauty you'd find listed under "Demonic Car Movies (B-grade schlock)"

"Highway to Hell"

Enjoy the trailer :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zh1Lfr_Ass

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Zh1Lfr_Ass?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Zh1Lfr_Ass?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

23. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I taped that and still got it somewhere in the collection,I remember It had Lita Ford in it....Rich

24. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

HA HA HA. ain't that the truth! I could quote every Cheech and Chong or Eddy Murphy movie when I was and 7. Missed this one though. Probably grounded for cussing out someone and throwing a shoe at them...:D

25. I just ordered a VHS copy. I'll burn a DVD for ya if you want.

26. lorodz

lorodz

this is what started the car craze for me ....got this on dvd...i think its one of barris's best..

27. fuzzface

fuzzface

Lady dumps a 1909 humber in the pond in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movie. Also thanks alot, now I have the song running thru my head nonstop. :)

28. RichG

RichG

Oh heck yeah! Hmm, I'll dig around here, see if I can find something cool to send back to ya!:D

29. deathcar77

deathcar77
    from Scotia, ny

Anybody have pictures from Bob Butts' museum that might have THE CAR in them? If anyone has old photos of The Car, be it the original, replica, or build photos; please share them. Thanks:)

-Matt

30. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Maybe somebody with the movie could check the credits and find out.