Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The California Rake

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Strittan, Jul 25, 2015.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that like going to Havana?

X38 likes this.
  2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

ne'erdowell likes this.
  5. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Agreed, that thing is the duck's nuts.

6. jimmy959

jimmy959

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

8. TERPU

TERPU

I've been searching most of my conscious life for a '59 ELKO and this thread gave me the push to set it "right" 0.jpg

9. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Nearly

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

11. X-cpe

X-cpe

I had heard that it started with raising the rear to make it easier to get to the quick change.

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

13. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. rakish.jpg
    I'll throw my hat into the ring...
    gonna cut another inch outta the front this year I think

15. VF-1

VF-1

16. matt-miles

matt-miles

Loving everything in this thread!

Can I play? A bit of 'California Rake' in the UK?!

Mildly lowered in the front due to careful choice of tyres. I just love the way this thing sits!

IMG_5360.jpeg
    IMG_5371.jpeg
    IMG_5359.jpeg

Zottel, Surfcityrocker and VF-1 like this.
  17. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"I'll throw my hat into the ring...
    gonna cut another inch outta the front this year I think."

This California guy thinks it's just right now.

ne'erdowell and Dee_Soto like this.
  18. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I think we're on the losing end of the stick. The proper terminology is slowly being lost to the younger know it all. Because we're older, we seem to be dismissed as being to old to know better.

19. At the Varsity hot dog place in Atlanta Ga. good picture.

20. VF-1

VF-1

21. milton homan

milton homan

22. milton homan

milton homan

23. NICE!!!!!

Jim Bouchard and Sancho like this.
  24. It is very nice, I'm just not seeing a rake on it.

bschwoeble and Kelly Burns like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    The big 1958 Impala weighs itself down normally. One driver and companions gets the body to go lower. The normal stance was not always level and so it created its own "California Rake." Lower in front and normal in the rear created a low cost rake look.

We put on thousands of miles on our own 58 Impala and eventually, it looked lowered all around, but the tail was slightly raised to the normal look. When friends rode with me, the whole Impala was now on a lowered rake, with the term "lowered" use to the maximum. The CHP had issues with a car full of teenagers cruising around in a "lowered rake" sedan...
    upload_2023-10-2_17-47-19.png with the driver only height
    To this:
    upload_2023-10-2_17-48-5.png with low profile tires and Buick Skylark Wire Wheels.
    @themoose creation thanks...

To this final version driving away with a new young owner.
    upload_2023-10-2_17-49-34.png Black on black Buick steel wheels and a happy owner in 1964.

Jnaki

Yes, the definition of California Rake is lower in front and slightly higher or stock in the rear. But because we were from So Cal, we and everyone else we knew called it a lowered rake. Someone, again made the terminology something of a simple standard when describing a car with a rake. Probably to designate the difference of a car from California versus one from another state with a newly created associated rake look from California.

Note:
    The famous quote from Oscar Wilde, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” has long been bandied about, mainly as an excuse for blatant copying. YRMV

27. jnaki

jnaki

is that also called a Dago rake as in San Diego?
    upload_2024-3-9_10-58-50.png

Hello,
    It was always called a rake, then lowered rake and then some folks other than California put the same style of drop on their hot rods and to simulate the California look, they called it a "California Rake." It was not intended, but copy cats wanted the similar look. For lack of a better name, that was what it became.

Anyone can cut a coil or two, use clamps or these days, use airbags or hydraulics. So the rake can be anywhere. There is no set term to describe what can be accomplished with money or a welding torch.

Being from So Cal all of my life, we have seen all sorts of "raked" hot rods, low riders and trucks at normal angles, mile angles and radical angles. They are all rakes. Not, specific "California Rakes" from California, but jut a raked angle by various means available.

Jnaki

The term "DAGO" should not be used at any time, as it is a derogatory word for some. So, to not offend anyone, please do not used it. When that term was coined, like "California Rake," it was a joke between friends. But, as we all know, it gets spread through word of mouth, attached to all sorts of slang and name calling, etc. So, one should not use it to describe any form of hot rod, people, or other items.

Sometimes, simple terms people know now are deep rooted from different areas of the country. One for a region can still apply to all regions and slang or derogatory terms still exist. YRMV