Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

The smaller black hose is the Vent rollover valve. It just goes down just out of the bottom of the bed. It all came with the tank stuff.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Neat, I'm going to have to source a smaller right angle roll over valve like that that I can probably install in the gas pickup flange in place of the return line which I won't be using.

3. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421701366.550998.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

hendelec, volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  4. Larry, if I understand it right, the reason the vent is supposed to be higher than the filler is because if you overfill the tank up into the filler hose, the fuel would just run out the vent until it reached an equilibrium level between the two. With the filler mounted directly onto the top of the tank, you really don't need to fill this high as the fuel won't have any expansion room, and will just force the excess fuel out the vent (I learned this lesson the hard way at 18, I filled the tanks on my beautiful pearl white and candy apple red v-drive to the very top before leaving for the lake (because gas was so much more expensive at the marina), and it expanded and overflowed the tank filler on both sides and yellowed the clear coat big time I. A stream down each side of the boat! Man, I was pissed!). I would just come straight out the vent hole with a 90 deg. fitting, then run to the front or rear of the tank and 90 degree down along side it and run out the bottom. You can then mount the rollover check valve somewhere in that line (I'd probably go forward between the tank and the front of the bed, and hide the rollover valve there). Just make sure the vents extended where it won't drip onto the hot exhaust or driveshaft and get flung everywhere. You also won't want to risk overfilling the tank and having gas spill out onto the paint in the bed, with the typical rake, it would just sit there in the front of the bed. Are you going to run a tonneau cover? If so, you need to run the vent out of the bed to prevent the build up of explosive fumes under the cover (their heavier than air so they'll sit I the bottom of the bed). You might even consider a little tube or scoop that catches air when your driving and forces it into the bed to vent the area.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. I was getting a slow tic tic sound coming from the back of the roadster on the left that had me scratching my head. I checked the wheels for stones, nails etc, jacked it up and spun the wheels, checked the drive shaft, checked the front wheels for same. You can only hear it just idling down the street. So in the weekend just for giggles I swopped the back wheels over left to right and the noise followed,. So I can only put it down to a fault in the tyre, maybe a airbubble in the rubber. (they're tubeless). Cant see any problem with the rims they are standard GM . Any thing else you can think of?

6. pitman

pitman

K1w1: Watched a good intuitive mechanic as he stood up in the car, leaned out the driver's side and listened,
    veering the car right-and-left in a parking lot, to reproduce the sound of clicking in the front-end.
    Loose spindle bearing nut. (Set the rusted rotor edge scuffing against nearby bracket, tick-tick)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

JW...I am surprised Mike Tripae remembers his own name, let alone mine.....:eek::p:D

Larry...Rotten Leonards sells a Flip Cap as well. Might work for you with a vent line like Gary has...

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Rasmus, don't feel foolish, asking questions is a sign of wanting to learn and that is always good, the foolish ones never ask questions.

whiplash1923T and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I Dunno, Dick...I ask questions all the time, but I had to take the Mirror out of the Shop....The Reflection was starting to give me the Answers....:eek::eek::eek::D:D

whiplash1923T likes this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Smart mirror? or foolish questions? :oops::confused:o_O:eek::rolleyes:

11. 53 ford

53 ford

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think this looks like what you have there Gary, I got the remote mount one with my tank.
    I think this one mounts like yours right into the top of the tank.
    I'm thinking that I like this cap too :)
    $_12.jpg ImageUploadedByH_A_M_B_1421189849_779001.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yeah Larry that looks like the one. Pretty bitchin cap too. Think it will look great on your build.
    Are you using an in tank fuel pump? Looks like that's what your tank is set up for.

dana barlow likes this.
  14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check the outer rims closely for small cracks - as you drive the crack will open and close making the clicking sound.

15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Larry, that is a great looking cap, it will look very good on your ride.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No, I specified that I am using a mechanical fuel pump, they sent me the one with the return line for fuel injection anyway :confused:
    When I complained they said that I could just plug the extra port for the return line or if I didn't like it I could return it and pay the shipping back and then shipping to have the right tank sent to me o_O

I said no thanks I'll make it work. So I'll remove the extra return line port and weld on a bung for the vent.
    Anyone need a remote mount rollover valve-vent ? :)

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Not sure I'm getting it. Where is the return line port? All I see is the three big holes on top. One for the filler, one for the gauge sender and another one I presume for an in tank fuel pump which you'll have to plug. You will need a fitting on top for the vent/rollover valve and a fuel outlet with a tube to the bottom of the tank. You want it on top so all the pressure of the fuel weight won't push on your needle valve on your carb.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The one hole is for the filler, the second large hole is for a plate containing 2 ports with hoses down into the tank. one is for the fuel pickup and the other is for a return line to the tank if you are using fuel injection with an external fuel pump.
    With just one port being used as the fuel pickup you can remove one of the hoses down into the tank and use that port with a hose to the remote mount vent they sent me.
    That same hole can be used for an in tank fuel pump and with pickup and return lines apparently.
    The third smaller hole is for the fuel sender and float. the sender I got with my Classic gauges fits there.

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Ok I think I get it can I see a photo of that other parts you got with the tank. Just interested to see what they look like and keep us updated on how your dealing with it and what you do to make it work.
    Thanks Gary

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You bet Gary, I'll take a couple of pictures later on.
    I'll have to order the other roll over valve and am ordering that nice gas cap too.
    I'm not totally sold on the shape and size of this universal tank, I may still fab up a different one and sell this one :)

21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Well Larry you for sure have many more manufacturing skills than I. When I saw how well the tank fit in my roadsters bed I was completely satisfied. Before I had some Japanese car tank that only held about 12 gallons of gas. This one I think is 16. and takes less room than the old one. I now have room in front of it for some tools and a couple of small folding chairs.
    Yours looks bigger than mine it must be 20 or more American gallons.

22. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Dick...That`s the thing. All my questions are foolish, and I think the Mirror is mostly smarter than me. At least that`s what my wife says...

Hey Chip......What size Tank is in yours? I presume the battery is next to it in there, yes?

23. Hey 53 Ford, do you have any info on that T, it looks very English. JW

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay guys I'm tired of looking the same post. Time we looked at someone more interesting than us.
    Something pretty interesting in the background too.

SANY0006.jpg

25. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Ted\'s roadster 1.jpeg Hey rebel how about this for a different post. This was my first roadster, T-Bucket, or what ever you want to call it. I like bucket of ugly. It was an old show car I bought for a song in 1973, Boy I wish I had all that hair back. Anyway it had no wiring, no front brakes 265 eng was worn out and smoked bad.
    Also it had duel cheater slicks on each rear wheel. Wish bones on rear were about 6in long no travel. Took me about a year to rebuild it so it would work but I had fun with it even it was ugly.(I won a lot of trophies with it) Ted\'s roadster 1.jpeg

volvobrynk, loudbang and k1w1rodder like this.
  26. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Anyone ever put a Crosley Steering Box in a T? A few cars built in the early-mid sixties had em, and I get mine next weekend. Need to clean them up (I get two ) and see what I have...

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Never seen one Paul but a T bucket can't be much if any heavier than a Crosley. I did find the cutest little three speed transmission at the dumps a while back. Didn't know what it was. Took it to a swap and a guy came rushing over and said how much do you want for that Crosley box. I think I sold it for $15.

28. A fine looking T Mr Mac and you do yourself an injustice by saying it was ugly as it was really upto date back then I would of thought. Different would of been kinder but I like the individuality of it and certainly like the use of the bucket seats, from a Mustang ?

29. Is that Norm signing your dash Gary ?

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Me Mack

You don't get more more spot on era wise then that! Front and grill ain't my thing. But there is a lot going for it too.

Where are the rest of the pictures?