Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, you are right about that :), I just priced out the Winters quick change, brakes and gears and all and asked for the shipping quote to get the stuff to me.
    Waiting on an e-mail and hoping for the best. Maybe I won't be too shocked by the total :eek:
    I have an idea what it will all cost. :)
    Larry.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

...And there is the "Bucket of Ugly" logo that I have been thinking of! Paging JEEM! Oh wait, he's out at Good Guy's like everybody else within 500 miles of Phoenix right now... I'm thinking tomorrow and Sunday. I woke up with a terrible head ache and the first day in months with nothing to do.

3. Chip, that reminds me of a story that happened on my commute to work many years ago. I was a long haired 23 year old Mercedes mechanic (people used to say my license picture looked like a cross between Jesus and Charles Manson!), and I had just gotten off the freeway and pulled up to the light right next to one of San Antonio's finest. I look over and, he's looking at me kinda funny, then he taps his chest with his fist. I'm looking at him with a questioning look.on my face and I mouth the word "Huh"? So he does it again and now I'm looking at him like he's got a third eye sprouting out of his forehead. I'm a little concerned because Officer King Kong is trying to tell me something and I have NO idea what. So he reaches up and grabs his shoulder belt and pulls it away from his chest so couple of times. The mandatory seatbelt law had only been passed a year or so at the time, and it suddenly dawns on me he's telling me to put my seatbelt on. I'm driving a 1964 El Camino, so it ain't got shoulder belts. I'm relieved that I finally know what the crazy officer next to me wants, since I could tell he was getting a little frustrated with me. Some of you are probably wondering why we were having such a communication gap at this point, and I'm gonna guess none of you have ever lived in a place where you need your air conditioning on for your morning commute. My Windows were up and so were his. Anyway, feeling much better about the situation (since I am wearing my seatbelt), I give him a reassuring smile and calmly point to my lap belt. He instantaneously turns beet red and appears to be having a heart attack. At this point it dawns on me what he THINKS I just told him to do. :eek: You can imagine my chagrin as visions of a serious nightstick beating run through my head. I immediately start shaking my head no and waving my arms as I lean over to roll my passenger window down and explain that 1964 El Caminos don't have shoulder belts, only lap belts. He accepted my explaination, and drove off as the light turned green, but I could tell his was still thinking about kicking my punk ass! I real sorry for the next person he pulled over, bet they didn't get any beaks I was just glad the shop I worked at was just around the corner, and we parked in the back alley, so I could disappear safely out of sight!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. brad2v

brad2v

Chip, that's the funniest thing I've read in a while.
    Blownfuel, I just read your tale, I think we might have a tie.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

Stop, stop, stop, your killing me....
    I can't breathe....
    You guy's are to funny.
    Thanks for the laughs.:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You see the happy smile of a clown I see the sinister grin of a mad bomber.

Or maybe I just wanted an excuse to post another photo of my roadster.

SANY0096.jpg

7. AndersF

AndersF

I think the "not so ugly"ends up as a orange version of this model-T.
    [​IMG]

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I beg to differ. Chips was funny, but blown fuels is PRICELESS!! "Yea, and you can blow me officer Bob". he musta shit a brick!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

George...Finally sent you those pics... Ironically, I think the wheelbase of Chip`s T and the Cerv 1 are about the same, but different. Or something....

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Same thing only different works around here...

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I guess I'd better check my hotmail! Thanks Kiwi

12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Larry you and I are a special kind of "special." Taking out already mounted, perfectly good running gear and replacing it with probably not as good (for a street rod) and way more expensive stuff. You with a differential me taking out a perfectly good even great high permanence Mustang engine and sticking in an early Cad. You know though, and maybe this will help you make your decision I have no regrets.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Correct again Gary, I have nothing against street rods, they are an innovative part of our hobby and a big reason why the hobby exists in the first place.
    I'm building a hot rod and know that the Winters will be noisier, but it will also be tough and very sexy at the same time. Practical ? Hell yes :D
    For engines my first choice was a SBF, and I could have chosen the buy it in a box SBC, but instead I went with an engine I fell in love with when I was a youngster, the Y Block.
    I know I'm not going to have regrets with any of this, I'm very pleased with my build so far.:)
    I'm pretty sure the decision has been made and the order will be in next week :cool:
    Larry.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Gary and Larry, you both have made decisions that make your rods much neater and that is what we all want to do.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Hey George....Did you get those pics? Wish I could get started on the chassis for mine, but there seems to be too much Shop Work..... I suppose it`s a Good Problem to have, though...

16. missysdad1 and AndersF like this.
  17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Hey Kiwi congrats. Well deserved. You Nooooo Zeeeelanders are coming out of the woodwork. Better than the closet. Love the smile on your front axle! Post some pictures of your bucket even if you have before. It never stopped me.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No I didn't. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, my computer is still down, so I am just checking in now and then on my wife's ipad.

20. Did someone say smiles?

:D

21. Let's try that again.....

Attached Files:

22. Don't suppose anyone has one of these just lying around in their shop? I'm gonna be needing one before too long.

23. It's a rare race part made out of invisible unobtanium! ( or I'm just an idiot who can't seem to attach pics today. 2 days at the track can do that to you. Either P&S or RCS will work (same mounting flange).

24. >:-(

Attached Files:

25. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Best Hot Rod? Well--most of the Marineland Bunch are old Restorers anyway...and you can tell
    GMT that when you see him next...(actually, tell him House says Gidday...we go back a long way ).:D Seriously...Good call on the Trophy.Nice one.....

26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hopefully that would not be for cowel steering{I hate to see cowel steering on any thing],but as for having a box that pitman shaft sticks out the side;there is a few ways to do that; 64-70 Mustang stock box has a fairly long shaft.,an some other brands as well,but it is also possible too make a shaft extendshion of pitman arm for a lite rod it works fine under frame mounting.
    Fast an EZ test to do,when you have steering hooked up so you can work it,jump up an down on front of frame or have a buddy do it,an look at front wheel as thats happening,if you see it moving left an right more then a 1/4in. as jumps move frame up an down,=you got bumpsteer an a poor design,that will dart back n fourth going down a bumpy road,most all cowelsteering dose that carp,is why I don't care for it n think it looks bad to me,manytimes to a car that other wise is very nice looking to me. But we all have stuff that bugs us,an cowel steering is ugly++to me with messing up looks of cowel an poor engineering..
    Basicly for sidesteer cars the closer steering rod joint at pitman arm is to front axle bone joint to frame,the less bump n better the design.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  27. Well, yes and no Dana. It's not for a T, so you don't have to worry about that. My wife's been pushing me to get my 1966 Top Fuel Dragster restoration back underway. It's been hanging in the shop rafters for close to 10 years, while I messed with other projects (like her!). For years she swore that car would be the death of me, and didn't want me anywhere near it, but now she thinks I need to get back on it before I'm too old to enjoy it. No idea what brought this sudden change of heart, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, know what I mean?

daddio211 and dana barlow like this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Hmmm, let's examine this. First of all she is convinced the car would be the death of you, and now she wants you to get it running :confused: Is that a mixed message, is she telling you something ? ;) :D

madmike8, daddio211 and Dick Stevens like this.
  29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd be making sure she hadn't increased any life insurance numbers lately.:D

big57daddy and Dick Stevens like this.