Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The 60 year history of a little California Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Aug 30, 2015.

1. nice score, The RPU had a nice past and now a great future to come again.. I look forward to seeing "Your" build Larry.... It's will be one cool Hot Rod again very soon...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    3wLarry likes this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Well said. Some cars, like say the Hirohata Merc or the Doane Spencer roadster deserve to be restored to their former state. Others like this one, can still be cool with some mods done and still have the same flavor as the original, although new and improved. I'm all for upgrading to more modern safety and ride comfort. Biggest thing is, have fun with it! It's a great looking start to another cool car!

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  3. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Sitting on that pallet makes me think it would make a great little modified, just the right wheelbase ha ha. congrats Larry nice score.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

327's rule!
    Oh yea, and script valve covers.

belair, tb33anda3rd and 3wLarry like this.
  5. You aren't gonna get too far like that, Larry :D

Congrats on the find- looking forward to seeing your progress!!!

3wLarry likes this.
  6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Thanks so much for a great story that has a great future that I am looking forward to. Stories of this nature keep me very interested in our hobby and are a learning experience for me also. God speed on this project and you can't post too many picks. Thanks again...........................

3wLarry likes this.
  7. Make sure you get your cats approval on the build plan. :eek::D

8. [​IMG]

I like the way your thinking. HRP

9. Great story and great car Larry

lothiandon1940 and 3wLarry like this.
  10. pitman

pitman

Hmmm, 3-side curtain L(?) nahhhh!
    He'll do it justice ;)

11. Great story Larry get of the computer and grab some tools.
    That's after some lunch and a nap.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3wLarry like this.
  12. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ snort, cough.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz

Finish the story........I'm old and don't know how much longer I have........

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Damn.

My favorite early Ford is a '26-27 RPU. Can't wait to see what you do with this one. If you ever need to sell, let me know! ;)

HOTRODPRIMER and 3wLarry like this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

Great pictures, great car, great story. I'm also building a '26 RPU that has some history in the body, but similarly, the original chassis and drivetrain has been gone for many years, and while it's getting built to period-specs, it's not a clone of the original build.

Cool that it still has it's original paint and upholstery. Preserve what's left there to preserve and build a rod around it. It's had 5 different versions already anyway. I like the black example pic above, I think I have that pic saved in my "inspiration folder" for my own '26.

3wLarry likes this.
  15. Rand Man

Rand Man

Dang it Larry, that ad is still up. I've been watching it for weeks. I knew it was overpriced. I don't think I could have talked them down that much. Good on you you! I'm sure that one will be a great rod again.

16. BJR

BJR

So.... are you going to change your name to "No window Larry"?

17. Note to self...... Pull all photos of future car ownership....

3wLarry likes this.
  18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I was the only person that answered the ad and when I showed up to look at the car, I brought my two photos from 1974 with me. I told him I wanted to buy the car but I wasn't going to pay Barret Jackson money for it...it wasn't an iconic car...it was never in a magazine...we negotiated for a couple of weeks. He decided it was better to have the car go to someone that knew the history of it. I wasn't trying to cheat him...the car was only worth what it was worth...it wasn't worth 10K.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Larry, great story, good luck with your rebuild. If you don't know it already that is a 26-27 box and the front stake pockets are in the original position. You could fold the top down on a 26-27 with the short stake sides but not on a 28-31 A. Bob

volvobrynk, HOTRODPRIMER and 3wLarry like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm always cool with deuce chassis' regardless of the body, but after seeing all the cool stuff from the Georgetown hill climb coverage, I'm really questioning my loyalty.
    Before you pull the trigger on the 32 style rails, I think you should spend some time reviewing those photos, and notice that I didn't say study them as I am sure you are well versed in build styles.
    BTW Larry........Georgetown is only eleven months away.

winduptoy, HOTRODPRIMER and 3wLarry like this.
  21. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Man that's cool "NoWLarry"

sodbuster, pitman, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Goddam neighbours cat "disapproved" all over the back wheel of my truck last night...:mad::rolleyes: Subscribed...

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

believe it or not denny, I actually had @Cyclone Kevin send me pics of his rpu...and I thought about doing mine like his...(pic below) but I'm a deuce whore so the 32 frame wins out. ;)

IMG_1465.JPG

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Larry...THIS! Maybe more refined, but THIS!

[​IMG]

catdad49, -Brent-, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  25. changing things? not making it exactly like it was? for the better.........i have seen it done around here.:rolleyes::cool:
    you just sold the 55 and bought this, i like the symmetry.

3wLarry likes this.
  26. belair

belair

I like your attitude about the car, and all I can say is congrats. An awesome story, glad it's yours.

3wLarry likes this.
  27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I forgot all about telling about this pic...Harold told me when he got it, it had this rolled pan on the back with the exhaust pipes running thru it on each end...also note the bed is longer here...later he shortened the bed even with the fenders and lost the pan...and that's a Hollywood license plate holder/light...I got it with a bunch of other parts in the deal.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. A Boner

A Boner

Do we get to vote?......Consider putting it on an A frame Bubba.
    image.jpg

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you know I've always loved your little '27

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yesterday's parts score from a buddy...big beam axle, Model A front spring, set of 16's, a 17", and some 40 brakes...some with old chrome backing plates and drums...

P1080387.JPG P1080388.JPG P1080389.JPG P1080390.JPG