Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas 68a inspection? HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by headhunter, Nov 21, 2006.

1. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

So, my Model A didn't come with a title so I used a title service and I now have an out-of-state registration that I am transferring to Texas. Unfortunately, they require a Form 68a inspection by an officer and they won't do it for cars that aren't driveable (I am registering the Model A that donated its body to me). So, I don't know what to do:

1. Stamp the VIN number into my new frame and have them inspect the hot rod

2. Find a sympathetic officer to come to my house and certify the old chassis

Has anyone had to do this?

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've never had to do this, but why couldn't you simply stamp the numbers from your title onto the frame and then call it good? Does there have to be a source?

3. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Thanks Ryan, I think that's what I'll do... I was just worried they wouldn't accept it for some reason so I was hoping to find someone who had been through it before so I could know for sure.

4. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Meatball - sorry, but do you mean "yeah" as in, you've done what Ryan's suggesting or "yeah" as in you've been through this before and I should PM you?

Thanks!

5. Yeah that should work..I know of this being done..........best thing try to find a location close to where DMV thinks it should be..and find out what size numbers and markings were used (some had a star on the end etc.) just give that old school look and away ya go..........this works in sevral states....." but sir thats where it was when I got it"

6. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

HH, My experience for what its worth:
    I also had an out of state title for my 23. Took my title along with a bill of sale to the DMV. First they wanted info on the seller. I told them I got the car at a swap meet and this was the title that came with it. I also showed them the Bill of Sale which was written on a piece of notebook paper. i told them I had no way to get a hold of the seller. He was not the name on the title anyway. The title was signed by the previous owner (in 1955). I also told them that the car was not built yet and it was going to be registered as a Antique. They gave me a form to sign stateing that the Vin number on the title was the same as the one on the vehickel if I could not provide a "rubbing" of the vin off the vehickel. Paid about 130 bucks and they gave me my Antique plates and that was it. Got my transfer Texas title in the mail about a month later.

7. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I know if its anything like here in Colorado, they won't certify it unless it runs. The only way around this, that I have found, is if you have a friend in the police. I did this very thing not long ago. I stamped the VIN on the frame, and had a friend on the police certify for me.

8. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

BoomBoom - I brought the rubbing to the DMV and they wouldn't accept it - not sure if Travis county is different or something but they said I needed this inspection.

It sounds like what I need to do is follow Meatball's advice and stamp it in the original location and maybe see if I can do what RatRod51 did and track down a friend on the police force to do the inspection...

9. Elrod

Elrod

You might try doing it again at another office.

10. I'm friends with the cheif of police in Dickinson, a neighboring town. He may be my ace in the hole! Oh shit, I used "Dick" and "Hole" in the same sentance! Better put on my flame suit!

11. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

That sucks HH! I got my done in Parker county. It might of helped that the girl that waited on me had never transfered an out of state title or issued antique plates. She never even ask me for my insurance which I think you are suppose to have before they give you plates. Ive had several friends go through the same procedure without problems. You might try what Elrod suggested and go to a differnt office. Ask everybody you know that drives an old car and your bound to come up with a solution that works for you. Good luck!

12. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

BoomBoom - I like the idea of going out of Austin to do this but I'm not even sure if they let you do it outside of the county your residence is in... I'm going to keep asking around. Thanks!

13. Hang in there, last time I asked this same question I got a lot of,"I don't know about Texas, but here in__________" answers. You did a little better. Maybe somebody from each state who's been through this should do a TECH type article!

14. I'm in Tarrant county, working with a small courthouse in Mansfield.

First time: I had a 1949 Texas "Historical Document" that I took in and got the lady talking, I had everything I needed ready to go, green sheet (Inspection), insurance, signed title, and the mileage form. Paid my money and walked out with plates for my Model A. A couple weeks later the title showed up at my house.

Second time: I had a new Kansas title signed over to me for a 27 T Roadster, took it in and did a title only with no other paperwork or inspections. This one is not on the road yet. But I have a texas title in my name for the car.

Next one should be the same as the first, I have a signed Oklahoma title, I'll sign the mileage form, get the green sheet from my local inspection station, copy of insurance, and I should walk out with plates.

I hear a lot of the California guys use AAA for title services, they do all the work for you a part of the membership.

Good Luck
    TZ

15. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Just talked to AAA. They don't do it in Texas anymore.

I haven't gone through this, specifically. But I can say that I've gotten different answers at different offices before. Registering YOM plates has been easier at the office on Parmer than the main one on Airport.

16. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I may be wrong, but....
    If you have an Out-of-State title you can.....
    Get form 130-U fill out, to match your title. If your car needs the numbers stamp them where they are supposed to be to match the title (I have yet to see the #'s checked).

With 130-U and your out-of-state title, and you are going to register "Antique" you shouldn't need an inspection. This is to the best of my knowledge, and the experiences.

You just take your 130-U, Out-o'-state title, and YOM plates in with you and write some checks. They never see the car, running or not.

If you are wanting to register "Classic" then you go through the same hoops, but have to have it inspected. The inspection can be done at any Texas State Inspection location. So if you got a buddy that works at Jiffy Lube, or Firestone and can overlook then you are set. The last one I went this route with was a breeze. The mechanic looked it over and asked questions. My VIN is and was hardly ledgible because of being painted over.

17. Lugnutz

Lugnutz

I live in Central Texas, near Waco. I'm working on a restore without a title and called the County Vehicle Registration office here. The lady has worked there forever, but she said the state recently changed all the rules about registering 'classics' or any vehicle that you piece together. So anything you're told here about experiences in the past may not apply under the 'new rules'. I know this isn't good news, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

18. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

If it's out of state, you for sure have to get a green sheet. The 130-U Title App., by itself, won't work.

Went through it all of the time, working at dealerships, with program cars from out of state.

19. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Dang, I guess I need to thank my lucky stars, I guess I snuck one by.

20. BubbaLuv

BubbaLuv
    from Denton, Tx

have you tried to just get it titled in your name and then going back to get it registered?
    b

21. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for the info Buzzard, Flt-blk, and InDaShop. One question I have is this - they are asking me to do a Form 68-A - "Application for Assigned or Reassigned Number" which has to be done by a police officer - this is different from just a regular inspection which I assumed was a "green sheet" - is this new??

BubbaLuv - that just came up today as a possibility. Getting a title only transfer and then eventually taking in the title to register it as an Antique. I'm going to check into that... I may still have to get the inspection but I'm just going to stamp the numbers in the frame, make a VIN tag for the door jamb and hope it all goes well.

22. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

23. Where were the stock vin # placements?

24. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

On the frame under the cowl (illegible due to rust) and on the engine block (if it's the original engine). I used the one from the block for my out of state title.

25. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

my car had an out of state title, took the bill of sale and proof of insurance to the courthouse registered it as an antique and didn't have to get any kind of inspection, paid my money, they gave me my plate...

26. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

See thats exactly how they do it here in Ft. Bend. Maybe try somewhere else?

27. BubbaLuv

BubbaLuv
    from Denton, Tx

I went down and ONLY titled the car in my name with a NY Historical Document. I told them the car was not running and i need to build it before i got it registered. I got my Texas Title in the mail then went down with insurance and registered it as an antique. Ive always been told that as long as you are registering it as an antique you dont need a green sheet or inspection. try a different tax office. it'll work.
    b

28. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

I was able to get a registration reciept (1970's) out of new york for my 27 T, took that and a bill of sale to the title office and did not have to fill out to much. Walked out of there titled and taged with Antique plates. It was no hassle at all for me

29. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

I went to the courthouse today and got my paperwork through without an inspection. Had an out of state title. Since I only was changing the title into my name and not registering it they said I didn't need the inspection paper.In Oct this year TX passed a new law where they don't go by the price you put on the application. They take 80% of the blue book value and tax you on that. But in my case they didn't have a book that goes back that far so they used the selling price on the application.
    You might try to just get it in your name and get plates later.
    Hope this helps.