Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TECH WEEK How I'm making my own dadgum frame for my roadster in the basement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobPer, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Graham08

Graham08

Primarily kick, air powered would be a bonus.

2. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I have a 6f marchant... need dies, lower shrink ramps, and and everything for stretch. any help?

3. very nice Tech. Are you in production yet? :)

4. Homemade44

Homemade44

Bob, that is the best "homemade" frame I have ever seen. Your write up is excellent and can be easily followed. The double "C" channel design is a great way to build a frame and easier to custom fit than any other method. With the right equipment it would be easy to copy your design. The Marchant shrinker/stretcher is a very good machine and does a very nice job. Thanks for showing us what you did.

pitman and Hnstray like this.
  5. BobPer

BobPer

Joe, Thank you for taking the time to read through my post and comment. I really appreciate your kind words. If I've helped someone think outside the box, or sparked ideas for someone elses projects, than I've won.
    Pat, Thanks, No I usually make stuff for myself just to challenge my boundaries and then go on to the next bright idea.
    Kona, You can try Neil at gogitzit.com or go directly to Marchant at marchantmachine.com or every so often some come up on ebay.
    Thanks all, Bob

6. 69dirt

69dirt

Just three questions, where do you get this dadgum, how much do you pay per pound, and how do I vote?

Outback and 3wLarry like this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think No Frame Larry has the North American distribution rights to Dadgum.

8. BobPer

BobPer

Yes, I think Larry should receive all the commission on sales of dadgum domestically.

3wLarry and falcongeorge like this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is a very beautiful frame!
    You did a very good job and I like it alot.

Three good questions;

Do you sell frames now?

If it took 3 years to make the "virgin", how long will it take to build NoFrameLarry a frame? Just because I want to watch the progress :cool:

Is it nesesary to make the x-member double c-channel? Couldent channel have done it, or is it double up on strength just in case?

Once again, that's a beautiful frame, and you did good! Well explained and good pics!

3wLarry and Hnstray like this.
  10. BobPer

BobPer

Thanks for the questions and positive comments. No I don't sell frames now. I typically make stuff for my own projects. After I make a few of anything, I get bored and move on to something else (I just can't keep focused very long). A frame for Larry may take me about six years because of all my other distractions. I can only work on this stuff when I can get a few bucks ahead and some time. The X-member is a single channel with a wider flange. Thanks, Bob

3wLarry and volvobrynk like this.
  11. mike bowling

mike bowling

Remember when the voting starts this is the tech-iest thread here! Complete with movies! Make some popcorn and have a "family movie night" learning how to run awesome machinery, and make totally cool stuff!
    Tell your friends about this and GET OUT AND VOTE!
    This has been a voluntary endorsement from the "Roll-A-Bone Hot Rod Shop".

12. BobPer

BobPer

Thanks mike, I appreciate the endorsement. I REALLY love popcorn, but only traditional popcorn, none of that new fangled cheese wizzy stuff. Bob

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. oj

oj

First rate work there Bob, very nice. Nice to see somebody expand other peoples' horizons, you knocked it out of the park.
    I have a question on the stretching operation. When I try to form channel I can't get equal pressure on my stretches/shrinks so the channel will wander off and I have to mess with it. How do you get equal pressure, is there a ftlb gage on the machine or some kind of limiter you can manually set? A typical example would be channel for leather straps over a sideways mounted gas tank over a rear axle.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I skimmed the 'header', it looked like 'Datsun frame for my roadster'... Shades of S-10!

Outback likes this.
  15. BobPer

BobPer

OJ, Thanks, It's all about sharing ideas. What are the dimensions of the channel you are working with? Height of the web, width of the flanges, material and thickness? What machine are you using? Thanks, Bob

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Job Bob. I knew you could do it.I was going to vote for you anyways....Now if we could just see how you put in that reveal...

17. BobPer

BobPer

Rod1, OK, I did a quick drawing to illustrate how I stack things up in the press brake and included it in the original post. Hope it sparks some creative thoughts, but please don't try this at home. Thanks for commenting. Bob

pitman likes this.
  18. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Check with :
    tinmantech.com
    But hold on to your hat when they give you some prices!

I used them for some services on my Erco shrinker / stretcher.
    Get it going though, and it will last you a lifetime!
    Check prices on the "auction site", and you may find some parts for yours.
    I checked there, and just searched with the name of my machine, and GULP, at the price they were showing for a re-furb unit!

19. Budget36

Budget36

Damn, that machine is awesome!

Oh, great work as well!

20. BobPer

BobPer

Stealthcruiser, thanks for the additional source.

Budget36, It is quite a machine, and Thanks, Bob

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Very Nice!!!!

22. BobPer

BobPer

Thanks Bill, I appreciate that. Bob

23. 69dirt

69dirt

Bobper, I am itching to build a car from scratch myself. I have a couple questions that might help me with my planning. I am curious how long it takes to do all the shrinking and stretching with the Marchant (I have a friend with one) and are the X-members also 11 gauge like the side rails? Thanks

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that raises the bar a few notches. Great Tech article with some incredible results and I'd say you have a lot of practice behind you on that shrinker and stretcher.

25. Great tech. I will be saving this for one day. Love hearing about this kind of work!

26. BobPer

BobPer

Thanks for the question 69dirt. After I've layed out my form (so I know what shape I want to end up with), and then put all my reference marks on the rails, It took less than an hr to do each of the 4 rails. So figure about an hr each, but with some help to hold the far end of the rail when needed. They take longer than the X-member pieces because they are awkward and there are alot more small subtle shrinks/stretches. Also, the dies need to be changed out between shrink or stretch depending on where on the rail I'm working because I'd rather finish one rail complete before going on to the next. The x-member is alot quicker as shown in the video. I did that one in under 5 min, but figure 10 to be sure. It takes shape very quickly and if you you don't go too far, you can do it on just one set-up. In both cases, if you go too far in one direction, you have to switch out the dies and work it back a little. If I fix the air leak in my second machine, I can leave one setup for shrinking and one for stretching all the time, and that would be alot quicker. So if you start early you can be done with the Marchant before lunch, and welding by the afternoon.

Thanks Mr48 and Ben for you interest and comments. Bob

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  27. You have 2 Marchants??!! Want to sell one???

Steve

stealthcruiser likes this.
  28. BobPer

BobPer

Steve, You noticed that. I guess I'd entertain offers, PM if serious. Thanks, Bob

29. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Great job.....Making your own frame now that's building a car from scratch.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. BobPer

BobPer

Thanks for looking, Bob