Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Week !!! Hot Rod Suspension Simplified!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Awesome post!!! Definitely using this idea for my sedan.

2. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi Sam, can you take a better pic of the steering damper mount?
    Thanks
    Michael

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This thread is very cool, I'm not sure how I missed it before.

4. deliv

deliv

Thanks SamIyam for posting this it has cleared a lot of my questions up on this set up. I have a couple more questions. I plan on using a 32 chassis under my A coupe with a A model front crossmember. Which wishbones would i use? 32 of A model ? Or is it best to lay it all out and see where the front wishbone pivot will land? Also a lot of people running split wishbones change the caster angle. Do you believe this is a good idea to do with the no split wishbone set up?

Cheers.

5. Lots of good info here. Thanks Sam

6. Model A wishbone won't fit '32 axle unsplit.

7. I can not seem to find the wishbone ball end mount item - does someone have a link/location?

8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Great tech. I will use someday. Has anyone written a detailed thread like this on quarter eelp. setups ?
    How do you keep the sway [roll] out of the chassis in the corners with the unsplit bones? Ive never rode or drove one but have always wondered.

9. How about Mac's?

10. yes they will
    it just takes a little bit of muscle
    i use them on my model a's to get a lowered car using factory parts
    with mech brakes
    tl

11. Beau

Beau

Pretty mush every early Ford supplier has them. I got mine from Little Dearborn.

Here's what I have started using this thread and previously posted projects.

Thanks again.

[​IMG]

12. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Wow very cleen looking suspenshion and steering. I love it!

13. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Thanks for the great tech! Would stock rear bones on a '41 be strong enough to use with the Model A yoke? I've seen where someone built a nice torque arm that went from the center section to the front of one of the bones, is this a good idea with this design just to prevent a little more rotation?

14. Hi Dave!

'41 bones are strong enough. I think I would reinforce the forged steel bracket that bolts to the rear end housing ends with a small gusset, to be safe.

Add another gusset to the front, like I did... and you're done.

You don't need a torque arm... at all. If anything, you could triangulate that rear joint, but that is the weak point... not the long arm.

Also... I am thinking about using a "Johnny Joint" in the rear to replace the rubber ball. I have a couple thousand miles on it with no problems... but it would be piece of mind.

Just a thought!

Sam

15. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Thanks Sam, this is a huge help.

16. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a really cool setup! If I wanted to move the pivot ball for the front wishbones further back like Beau's chassis would I run into serious bump steer issues if I ran cowl steering. From everything I've read about cowl steering it is important to keep the split bones and steering arm as close to the same length as possible but I'm not sure how that applies if the bones are not split? Anyone?

17. Sam, Great Job!

By chance, do you have a shot of the body on this chassis? I looked in your profile, but didn't find one....