Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Offroad Engine Hoist/ "Redneck Spitzlift"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Juztyn00, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

I was sitting in a lawn chair wondering how to move an engine from my garage to my shed. Just gravel and yard between them... no good way to use the hoist since the shed is too small for it. I came up with an idea..

I mounted a Reese hitch on my engine hoist ... All that needs to be done is to unbolt the main mast from the base and weld on a hitch... pretty darn simple.

It worked beautifully for what i needed to do... the best part it only cost me 2 welding rods and a new chopsaw blade(which i needed anyway)

I used an old homemade hitch that i didn't trust to pull a trailer with and chopped it off at a 5 degree angle (would of gone to 10 degrees if my bumper on my old truck would of allowed it) and welded it to the base of the hoist... The best part is it is still able to be bolted back to its normal base in about 5 minutes. I did put a few ratchet straps from the top of the hoist to the 5th wheel... the 1/8" thick box tube felt a little flimsy by itself. I may reinforce it more later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BTW those cheapo furniture movers work pretty well as temporary mobile engine stands.:D
    [​IMG]

stillrunners, j-jock and Hdonlybob like this.
  2. Ruiner

Ruiner

Ha! That RULES!...dual purpose mounts are always great...

3. Kustm52

Kustm52

Now that's a good idea right there. I wonder if you build a swivel plate on the bottom, if there would be room to pick up and engine and spin around and drop it in the truck?

Brian

4. duke182

duke182

i think you just made my bolt in manual crane portable and stowable.
    great idea. thanks for doing the thinking for me.

5. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Dude, that's awesome! But is that your only engine hoist? Cause if you're like me, when ever you use it normal, you're gonna beat the hell out of your shin on the hitch you welded to it.

6. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

That is so awsome, I love it!:D

7. squirrel

squirrel

Neat! But be sure to tell us more about those straps that hold it up...because if someone else tries it without the straps, they're gonna bend up their receiver

8. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Great idea... how did you keep the engine from bouncing off the bumper as you moved it??

9. Andy

Andy

I made a deal that goes in the reciever also. It is offset to the right so with a short boom the load is more centered over the hitch. It swivels 45 degrees each way and I use a come a long to lift. I take it with me to swap meets so I can buy or sell heavy stuff.

10. milkmankael

milkmankael

Move very slowly and you shouldn't have a problem.

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

I'd bet that you could now tow the car with that also.

Great simple idea. Have a beer on me

Frank

12. How about some pics?

13. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Great idea and just in time for me.

14. Andy

Andy

Here are some pics of my rig. The come-a-long and pulley are not installed but you get the idea. The tail gate must also come off. It goes left to right to load and unload.

Attached Files:

15. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

Im so doing this... i wanted to buy one of those bolt in units but i didnt want to drill into my brand new truck. This is great!

16. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

i know what i`m building tonight.....

17. i gotta make me one of those! that would come in handy ..

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

........and I always used the kids radio flyer wagon to haul engines

19. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Thanks for that one. I think I have enough metal in the scrap pile to build one.

LOL there will probably be a run on those 119.99 cherry pickers at Schucks.

21. OLLIN

OLLIN

That IS a cool idea! I was at the Tierra Del Sol offroad meet near the salton sea this last weekend, and we almost had to do this! luckily it was only a radiator that we had to replace...

22. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

Sorry I was away from the computer for a few days and forgot about this... I'll try to answer your questions...

Where the reese hitch is welded is out of the way when the hoist is on it's normal stand... I'll try to take some pics tomorrow during daylight.

Yes i put a few ratchet straps to the top of the post going to the fifth wheel hitch in my truck... They probably would work just as well going to the stake pocket or tie down hooks. I don't think I would of even needed them if I I had the boom in to it's closest position but I rather play it safe when lifting heavy things.

I pulled on zip strap so there was pressure pulling the engine towards the truck... kept it from spinning and swinging too much.

did that too.

I wouldn't pick up much more than an engine with this setup but if you try it be sure to post pics.

I bought my hoist on special for $159 at tractor supply. Its been well used.

Thanks for all the good comments... This was my first tech post and I was hoping it would be well received! :D

23. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

i actually just came in from the garage after finishing mine up. i gusseted mine so there wouldn`t be much stress on it. i think it will work just fine.

24. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

here is mine. this isn`t the truck that intend to use it on. i have a gmc crew cab dually for all the " dirty work"..

[​IMG]

25. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

That is just what you needed, something else to use to scavenge parts with.

Now get back to work on that truck.

26. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

here's a pic of the hoist on its normal stand... you can see that:
    A. The reese hitch is out of the way for the most part and
    B. My hoist has seen better days..

I tried to lean mine back towards my truck some. I still highly suggest adding some straps to the top... thats a lot of leverage to put on one point.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

27. flatford39

flatford39

Between this and the shop dollies I am convinced this is the best tech week I ever saw. Pretty innovative. Thanks.

Next time HFS has their fold up shop crane on sale for $98.00 again I think I will buy another and do this to it. I can always use the excess square tubing from the base somewhere.

28. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

i tried with not much success...just around the yard. not a good idea.