Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stuck In The Muck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 'Lowered' is an asthetic detail, with handling/clearance etc being a result of how you achieved the lowered form.

On my brothers 49 merc, we travel over crap roads (much like those shown by PhilJohnson) to visit parents etc, but we built our suspension low, and use bags to 'raise' the car where required, opposite to mainstream approach, but it works for us.;):D

Those Dune buggies rock, so wrong but so right.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

2. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

For poo folks such myself bags aren't an option. Plus I guess I just prefer tall vehicles, most likely due to my youth spent bashing around old trucks exploring the backwoods. Back before fuel got up crazy expensive a lifted truck was a pretty common site around here and usually during the weekends the county woods would be full of hillbilly crazies bashing their trucks into trees and what ever else was in the way.

I'll admit certain cars look real nice lowered but for me I'd hate to take one of those beauties and wrack them all up just trying to get to my neighbor's house. Sounds like Drewfus might have found an approach that can take on both worlds (that said gravel does nasty things to paint and tires don't last long).

3. Having grown up on a farm, our driving style would result in the same irregardless to the road conditions;):D

Having said that, like the dune buggies, ones perspective can adapt anything to suit the situation if given a chance, just look at how Henry Ford adapted the T's and A's to other avenues (ie tractors/trucks/implements etc), this is just another extention to aproach.

Cheers,

Drewfus

4. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

Stuck in the Muck reminded me of the attached picture of a Model T Roadster Pickup which "quit in a puddle"

Attached Files:

5. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

I hope this picture is clearer than the first one.

The poem says:

SPRING LAMENT

Could be a mud dobber's nest in the manifold
    Or the coils are a shortin' thru

Or maybe a toad in the gas tank
    Or the timer's damp with dew

There's a chance the battery's clear run down
    Or the wires are all in a muddle

Somethin' sure is shortin' across
    Or this T wouldn't quit in a puddle.

Attached Files:

6. No one would "re-purpose" in the 50's :D They'd just "modify";)