Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stromberg EE-1 mysteries

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatordead, Dec 21, 2010.

1. I got a couple 97 here for restoration. At a first glance they looked just like any other 97.
    Taking the bases off i realised that the lower gasket surface Holley 94 like shaped and there are a couple of small brass tubes installed just above the idle discharge holes. It seems to be factory. Diggin thru my spare parts pile I found another EE-1 carb with these tubes intalled, but having the regular 97 lower base. This carb has a different bowl vent and
    linkage. Can somebody wise me up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Here the details. The screw driver points at the brass tubes and the other pictur shows the bowl vent, different air cleaner neck and linkage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1952henry

1952henry

Those are later model 97s. The brass tube is an extra idle circuit. There is reliefs in the venturis for the tubes.

4. Indeed theres a small relief in the venturies. You mean this is kind of an updated idle system?

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is meant to give better control of the period between idle and about 1,000 or so RPM whn there's enough air moving to make the venturis and jets work! This is a weak point of carburetors. Gas controlled by venturi is much more accurately metered than that coming out of little holes...I think the idea here MAY be to create a pressure dropwhere air passes over the slant cut tube as a way to mimic venturi drop...?
    Another difference...look at little vent hole next to idle jet. Smaller than a normal 97.
    Carb with vent has a non-Ford top...note that it is cast for both right and left rocker setups. A LONG session with the Stromberg catalog might ID it. Packard, Nash, probably others used various EE cousins of the 48.

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Bruce is correct..What amazes me that most people want the "D" shaped base rather then the Batwing, V, whatever you want to call it..The new 97s from England are similar in design, idle circuit..I found that they are easier to tune for idle and low end..I also like putting on bigger CI engines..
    Duane..

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I used the later bases on my engine, I had heard they were from later carbs made as replacements in the 40's. They run great!

8. 1952henry

1952henry

I think I saw one similiar advertised for a Lafayette circa '38.

9. Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to have them ready and install them between xmas and new year. And will see how the improvement works. The one with the odd top I'll save for a banger one carb downdraft thing, so I don't need to find a matching one.
    Have a good chrismas and new year !!!