Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Straight six in a Model T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chessterd5, Dec 16, 2014.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, the Big Six didn't come around until '65, the Falcon Six was earlier, but I think you may be thinking of the predecessor to the 300, which was really the 215/223/262. It was of the Y-Block era and replaced the flat six around 1952/53. They were truck engines, and I think the SBC craze would have greatly overshadowed them. The GMC straight six is a different story, I believe.

2. any pics of a Ford or Mopar flathead 6 in a 20s to pre-fat fendered 30s hot rod?

3. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Okay! I've been wondering what a flathead mopar 6 like a 218 or a 230 would look like ina model t pickup or a T with a turtle deck. If its a inline six I want to see it!

4. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

i knew i had one from the jalopy showdown couple years back...

modelt.jpg

Dyno Dave, Lil'Alb, Dannerr and 3 others like this.
  5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, just what Toyota gear box are you running behind these engines down there? Are your engines the early small bell housing, or the later stuff that we had from '66-'80 or so? Any pictures of the engine/trans unit? I do Falcons up here, and have been looking for alternative trans swaps, and I know you guys down there have been doing stuff differently than we have. Oh, since most of this is O/T for this thread, feel free to message me! Thanks!

brEad likes this.
  6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Steel case 5 Speed is a common swap behind both Ford and Holden inline six engines. Livens then up with the extra gear. They can be adapted to the small and the big bell housing with an adapter plate. My adapter plate came from the Castlemaine Rod Shop many years ago now.

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thanks for all the pictures so far. Does anyone have any more? bttt

8. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Bump. Any more?

9. old sparks

old sparks

I run a 292 chevy in bantam coupe , drag race only, at 112" wheelbase. What was said about tire size is right . With a 26" tire , it looked way out of proportion. I changed to a 29.5 tire for gearing reasons and it changed the look of the whole car.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What a looker. I bet the engine weighs more than the rest of the car... those big 6's are heavy. But peppy and not much looks better than DOHC on an inline. Gary

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

CA. 280 - That Jag engine is sweet! Just looking for more pictures if anybody gots them? I've enjoyed the ones so far. Mines coming along but its NOwhere near the quality of these so far. Thanks.

12. pdq67

pdq67

6-banger you say!!

Dare to be different and hunt up either an old STOCK Pontiac Sprint SOHC six with a Q-Jet and split manifolds on it. I think that it is a 230" engine.

Or....

A modern Chevy P/U Atlas 6-banger. It is the LL8 or Vortec 4200 DOHC engine.

In their time they both were state of the art engines so are both good ones!

And fwiw, the Atlas/Vortec line made 4, 5 and 6 cylinder inline engines but you have to really hunt for the 4 but not so much for the other two...

pdq67

13. Zandoz

Zandoz

I think the inline 6s (and 8s) look good in a hoodless car...on a hooded car, I'd have to see it to tell if it would look good to me. If I had the health and $$$$ to tackle the project, the top of my short list for building a T bucket would be a Jeep 4.0 inline 6, stroked out to about 4.7 litres. The Pontiac OHC 6 and Packard 327 straight 8 would also be high on the list. The biggest problem with those big old inlines is not the esthetics or mechanicals, it's the weight and it's effect on handling. The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...of the title.

14. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

hello everyone, I was sanding my 1927 Model T grille shell today, & I found something I didn't expect cause I didn't know it was there. Right under the raised FORD script on the front of the shell, there is a " MADE IN AMERICA" stamped into the metal. To me it was kinda cool.
    P.s. If someone does have some more pictures, or whatever about straight sixs in Model T's I'd like to see them. Thanks!

bantam likes this.
  15. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

[​IMG]
    Thanks for all the inspiration... And now, this is mine. (1927)

16. I always thought that the Poncho SOHC was a pretty cool motor. I never played with one so I have no idea how that ran but they are a pretty cool motor. I doubt that they were very heavy either, not like say a big Jimmy or even a 235 Chebby.

Hey @pdq67 do you recall was the Pontiac a cross flow?

17. Kinky6

Kinky6

The Poncho OHC 6 had both intake & exhaust on the driver's side. K6

18. Thanks I couldn't remember its been a while since I saw one. last one I saw was in a tempest as I recall.

19. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Kiwijeff, I like your '29 Hudson pickup. The gloss paint & flames look really good together! thanks for the like.

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Just looking for some more pictures. Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far!

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Mine is still in mock up but you get the idea. Plymouth flat six in a 34. Should have it rolling next week and that seat is already gone!

Attached Files:

volvobrynk, kiwijeff and chessterd5 like this.
  22. What's up with that rear suspension. Looks sorta hinkey, to me?!?!?

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Now for some side drafts a 200 CFM carb on 300 inches just ain't enough.

24. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

The easiest way to go with a Ford 300 would be to get an Offenhauser 4bbl intake. They still make them and they are not terribly expensive or hard to get. Jegs has a kit that comes with a Holley 390 and Hedman Headers along with the Offy intake.

25. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hello everyone
    I'm not sure what "hinkey" means, but I'll accept it as a compliment & say "thank you". Honestly, its a homemade like ladder bar set up with the original model T rear spring. I don't know how to describe it. I can show a picture of it later. I have drove the car already with this set up when I had the 302 in it. It does okay for not being store bought.

Yes sir, I agree. But I can't afford that right now. I need to get it running by October.

Hey patmanta, some of that's in my plans, as well as a big comp cam. thanks

26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think that engine can come forward too.

27. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

28. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

29. bct

bct

30. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.