Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods stop lites, tail lites and turn signals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rer_239, Aug 28, 2014.

1. rer_239

rer_239

am attempting to wire the rear lites on a model a. not using a wiring harness, just one circuit at a time. i've got the tail lites and stop lites working now adding turn signals. i don't know how to wire a lite with 2 wires to have 3 functions (tail, stop, & turn). i drew a simple schematic with 2 diodes cause i think diode prevent current from running in the wrong direction. hope you can understand my drawing. will this work?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I can tell you from my setup the tail lights ground the housing to the body. One wire is power for stop or lights on. The other wire activates the turn signal. Front and rear sides are wired together respectively so when you hit the directional each side lights up together. Front signals for me are wired as driving lights and flashers that ground to frame. I don't have any diodes in my setup since the head light switch is fused.

Hope this helps.

3. All tail light bulbs are 1 or 2 filament. If you have a 2 filament, it'll do the night time tail light, on the lower watt side and the brake will be the other filament, obviously brighter. I know a lot of the American cars had red indicators (turn signals for you yanks..) but they were in a separate lens or bulb right? They would of been a single filament.

4. It's in the turn signal switch.
    image.jpg
    Everything you need is with in one one of them. The brake light input and output lead to and from the turn signal switch.

What's not shown here is the low side tail lamp. Just keep in mind that a dual filament bulb is 2 separate bulbs with in one. So the second filament would just go to the headlight switch.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

5. squirrel

squirrel

Like he said, it's in the turn signal switch. What kind of switch do you have? If it has fewer than 6 wires, it was not designed to run a single rear bulb for both brakes and turn.