Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering wheel repair?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tin Can, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Tin Can

Tin Can

I have searched for steering wheel and tech and did not find anything on this. I may not have searched hard enough though so I appologize if this has been covered already.

I am just wondering how you guys/ and gals on here repair your cracked steering wheels. I found the POR 15 article on rod n customs tech articles but this kit for 70.00 seems a little much for me.

Would fiberglass work to repair the cracks and a good primer over the entire thing afterwards? I was thinking of doing this and painting it with the topcoat that I used on the outside of the car. What do you guys think, will this work?

2. pontiac

pontiac

Use JBWeld. Works great, I use it all the time aswell as a lot of others.

3. Chad s

Chad s

4. guiseart

guiseart

5. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Por putty works, as does JB weld. Most parts stores carry the 5 minute epoxy putty where you slice off a hunk and knead it together, and it has the consistency of clay. Fill the cracks, rebuild missing pieces, then sand, prime, paint. Most of the "kits" you see are just some sort of epoxy putty, with sandpaper, rubber gloves, putty knives, etc to drive up the price.

6. Tin Can

Tin Can

Thanks for the replys guys. This helps a lot. Now I just have to figure out how to get the cap off of the center to get the wheel off of my buick.

I am working on redoing the seats right now so I will do the wheel when I am done with those.

Thanks again. This site has a wealth of knowledge

7. pc7 at local hardware store, cut open the cracks (make them wider), fill, sand and prime.........then repeat :).

8. pontiac

pontiac

I don't know what year your buick is, but the 51 and 52 I just parted out I used a thin flat screwdriver to pop the cap off. It just slips in there. Then there's 3 screws to remove and the bezel comes off. You'll want to have a steering wheel puller, the shafts on these are very hollow and the walls are thin and if you run the nut up even with the shaft and try removing it with a hammer and pressure against it, it'll end up either breaking the shaft end or stripping the threads.

Dave