Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spring in front of axle...Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LesIsMore, Dec 2, 2008.

1. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

So, was getting ready to spilt the bones with the spring in front, but if you turn them out to mount to frame, teh angle of the front spring perches changes and the spring is too wide, do I just need to bend the perches, or should I not split the spring ahead?

Also, one more question, where is best place for shock mount since can't hang them below like spring over top setup.

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The photo is old ,but you see that my 28 "A" roadster I build in 1959 with a 48 axle and bones,by making my own shackles and bending the bones to hold eye sq.,this set the wheel base shorter,I use the "A" spring.:D
    The 48 shock frame mounts[drilled] and bolted to "A" frame,with base of shock just bolted into drilled 48 axle.

Attached Files:

3. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Attached Files:

4. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Where do you mount the shocks when doing spring ahead? I have seen it several ways, have any pics of your shocks and mounts?

5. richie rebel

richie rebel

isn't that front end called a (suicide) front end? richie................

6. T tyme

T tyme

On my T sedan I took a 40 ford front axle, did away with the front spring and added coil overs with chevy disc brakes.

Attached Files:

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's the main reason not to run the spring forward setup!

8. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

That is the way my car was setup when I bought it and I plan to keep it just the way it is (spring in front and no split in the wishbone)

9. I heated up mine and used a BF crescent wrench. They bent no problem. The car has changed alot since this video. I will have to update. It looks killer with the wide whites that I am running now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzpm5VQ1Y10

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

well if you know how wide your frame is and where the rods will mount on the outside to teh frame

Could you not then just leave teh spring bolted up heat up the horn and just spread the rods apart from the rear ?

If you did that with each one then the spring would be right where it needs to be,,instead of bending the whole rod

I would think better to heat and bend the forging than the rod tube