Register now to get rid of these ads!

spare change and leftovers

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by duke182, Feb 2, 2010.

1. duke182

duke182

ok, i"m in!!!

to start, let me say that i grew up on drag racing. my dad raced, i raced a little, dad managed several tracks in the area, and he owned a speed shop for seventeen years. for the first 23 years of life, i spent almost every weekend at a track somewhere. eventually i couldnt see spending the kind of money it took to compete for $800.00 purses, and my attention turned to street cars. kustoms to be exact.

kustoms are great. i'll always own one,or more. the thing is, i've been wanting to go racing again for a while. after much research on the subject, i have decided that HA/GR is for me.

i plan what will probably be the most low dollar effort to date. if not the slowest. although that last part really isn't part of the plan.

there will be nothing high tech about this build. it will be built with spare change and leftovers. the spare change will happen when it happens and the leftovers will come from my junk pile and the remaining inventory form my dads speed shop that closed 15 yrs ago, when he died. time to put some of that stuff to good use.

this "car" will be built to my interpretation of the "spirit" of the bug.
    as i see it, it will be a fun low dollar effort, built with what i have and what i can afford. major emphasis on fun.

it's a good thing i enjoy fabrication as much as any other part of this hobby,because track time may be quite a ways off with my budget.

my goals are:
    -build the car to HA/GR specs
    -run in the no E class @ the local independant track
    -take the car to the hamb drags and possibly a few events in the tulsa area as money allows
    -to be on the track in less than 3 summers
    -to build the car for less than $3535.35, a completely arbritrary number
    -to be consistant in the bracket class
    -to go faster every pass at hamb events
    -and last but most importantly to have fun and make some new friends

i haven't touched the first part yet, but i wanted to get this post out there to make myself accountable to someone other than myself.
    this way i really need to back up what i say.

i will use this thread to chronicle my success or failure.
    i suppose i have between now and the 2012 hamb drags to make this a reality and not just more bullshit talk from some dreamer.

thank you to ryan and all you guys with cars for the inspiration.

the clock starts now.:eek:

pictures soon.

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hey duke...sounds like you have the right take on what this is all about. Looking forward to seeing your ideas come together. The grins make the effort worthwhile.:D

3. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

haha! This is my exact way of thinking. I made a comment in bobw's build thread last Oct. and I felt like the Babe. "calling the shot" if you will...

4. ThingyM

ThingyM

Duke.. I to have been in drag racing for eons..Started in 1953,, Haven't had so much fun in years as I have had in the HA/GR car...Both building it, And going to the races.. BTW. For your $3535.35.. You should be able to build 3 cars...

5. ScottV

ScottV

Hey Duke ... Welcome.

$3535.35 that is a HUGE budget !!! As long as you don't get anything seized by the IRS !!!

6. duke182

duke182

like i said, thats just an arbitrary number. coming in that far under budget would be awsome. time to sharpen the ol bartering skills i guess!!!

by the way, i really like what i've seen of your car so far.

7. duke182

duke182

i read a little about your troubles, what a bummer.

any luck getting your stuff back?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  8. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

You will have fun, that is for sure ! and yeah you should come in way under budget . I'm getting ready to build me another one ,I had so much fun in my last one .My old man helps out in running our local track .So I might even leave mine there this year ! I'm just getting ready to start my build and hope to have it going before april. Good Luck !!!!!

9. bobw

bobw

You can build a car pretty cheap. Adding horsepower, now THAT costs money!

10. 46 rat

46 rat
    from clever mo

Hello, DUKE 182

I Also grew up around drag racing and hotrods. These things look like alot of fun. I have been watching them for a couple of years. Maybe by watching your build i will start 1 to. I have collected a bunch of parts for one. Can't wait for pics.

11. duke182

duke182

a few options to choose from for my build:

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      424.2 KB
      Views:
    • a5.jpg
      a5.jpg
      File size:
      354.3 KB
      Views:
    • a9.jpg
      a9.jpg
      File size:
      359.3 KB
      Views:
    • a3.jpg
      a3.jpg
      File size:
      303.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  12. duke182

duke182

more stuff to choose from:

Attached Files:

• a14.jpg
      a14.jpg
      File size:
      401.9 KB
      Views:
    • a13.jpg
      a13.jpg
      File size:
      387.2 KB
      Views:
    • a11.jpg
      a11.jpg
      File size:
      307.8 KB
      Views:
    • a10.jpg
      a10.jpg
      File size:
      325 KB
      Views:
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      File size:
      386.4 KB
      Views:
    • a7.jpg
      a7.jpg
      File size:
      276.2 KB
      Views:
    • b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      306.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  13. duke182

duke182

possible body

Attached Files:

• a12.jpg
      a12.jpg
      File size:
      401.5 KB
      Views:
  14. duke182

duke182

future tow truck??

Attached Files:

• a15.jpg
      a15.jpg
      File size:
      382.9 KB
      Views:
  15. duke182

duke182

i scored the front wheels i intend to run.
    i hauled a load of scrap yesterday and spotted the in the pile. the guy told me to load em up and i could have them for weight.
    what are they?--35 ford wires, great shape.
    what they cost?--about 95cents each based on weight.

i also decided that the car will be powered by a 235-6cyl backed by a four speed. more decissions and pics later.
    until then, thanks for all the inspiration and encouragement so far.

16. bobw

bobw

You won't have any problem meeting your budget with deals like that! I'll bet you already have a 235 and 4 speed. Maybe you'll run into a 261 hauling scrap.:D

17. ScottV

ScottV

Heck that SD probably has a 235 and a 3 speed. Use that and drop something torquey in there to tow with (Cadillac 500 and a overdrive auto perhaps !!??!!):rolleyes:

18. duke182

duke182

at one time it did, but it's already beenthrough a couple small blocks, a big block , and a short stint on the drag strip, believe it or not.

it is patiently awaiting a heart transplant along the lines you mentioned.

19. nexxussian

nexxussian

Sounds cool.:D

OT as all get out but the ideal (if it weren't for cost) would be the Duramax W/ the 6 speed Allison (double overdrive).:D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  20. Papa Tom

Papa Tom

i started building mine after i returned from mokan last year i have the frame econline frt axle 8.8 rear 235 3 spd cage from my sons old mud bogger offy 2x1 intake i have less than 800.00 in it rolling hope to get finished when it warms up its been cold here in north alabama

21. bobw

bobw

Papa Tom, You should start a thread of your own and post lots of pictures for us to enjoy.:)

22. duke182

duke182

i second the thought.
    and by the way, good luck on your project, Papa Tom.

23. ThingyM

ThingyM

What, Another one>??? GREAT!!!! Lets see some pics when you can....

24. Papa Tom

Papa Tom

thanks i will get my wife jan to post some pictures i'am not to computer savay when it comes to that going to billit proof in gainesville next week hope to see robert from fl. talked to him at mokan and lakeland billit proof drags he gave me some good info. on building it

25. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Tom, I will be there. Be pulling in late Friday night and will have the HA/GR with me.
    Robert

26. duke182

duke182

just another post to let you know that progress on the world's slowest build thread is still that, slow!
    today i ventured into the woods and scored the seat i intend to use, so i guess you could say that the first official piece has been obtained. now i just need to make up my mind about the rest of it.

the seat is out of a 1969 bradley gt, that i traded for some time ago. i think it should work nicely. may have to widen it some to accomodate my considerable girth.

Attached Files:

27. duke182

duke182

figured i would post an update.
    this project has stalled but is not on the shelf yet.
    a few months back i was away on work and some no count pos decided that my stuff looked like car show give away goodies.:mad:
    their good fortune and my bad that i was gone.
    unfortunately for me they hit me for several loads of stuff. everything from scrap to really good parts. about $6000.00 worth, including many of the parts that were earmarked for this project. the list was nearly three pages when i filed with the sherrif.
    well thats the sob story.
    now all i can do is move forward. it may slow me down but i dont intend to let it stop me. on a positive note i still have the frame rails and the engine i intend to use as well as the seat. :D
    when things get back on track and i actually have something to show that resembles an active project i will add some pics to the thread.

p.s. f&%k a thief!!

28. duke182

duke182

not progress by a long shot
    but two more definate parts that i will use.
    these old bottles make great gas tanks so when i saw this one i grabbed it up.
    i also now know for sure which frame rails i will be using. i just have to dig them out. they started life under a first series 55 chevy p.u.
    they did a stint as a jacked up stump jumpin mud buggy and they are going to evolve into a ha/gr hotrod.

Attached Files:

29. duke182

duke182

i know that i havent been able to show much of what you could call progress yet but i keep hopin that if i keep findin and pullin out old pieces and junk that some elves will sneak in my shop and build me a race car.

anyway i have the front end i intend to mate to the frame rails i mentioned above.
    it is an old ford piece that i dug out of the pile. it was use on the front of a bracket raced t-bucket years ago.
    the original spindle was modified to accept a 70's era nova hub with long studs.
    it was originally taken out of service because it doesn't have provisions for brakes.
    i dont think that will be a problem for this project. i doubt i will out run the rear brakes with the setup i intend to use.
    i also figured since weight is always an issue i would concede to a pair of super trick wheels for the front. no restoration required and i will disquise them with moon discs and paint. the tires are 6.00-15 2ply bias ply units.
    i also aquired a 1957 chevy rearend that i will press into service.

Attached Files:

30. duke182

duke182

im sure im boring ya'll to death with my shots of parts but every time i find a part that can be applied to the actual build, it helps keep my motivation up.
    i figure when the pile gets big enough it wont be long before the cuttin and weldin starts.
    anyway here is another relic i intend to attach to my version of an ha/gr.
    i found a usable free radiator.

Attached Files: