Register now to get rid of these ads!

so... what are your guy's opinions on red rims??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Jul 10, 2007.

1. luvzccr

luvzccr

when i got my 58 ford a few years back, it had red rims, and i tried painting them gloss black, but it didnt go with the look of the car, so i went back with red... but everytime i see it.. i just cant help but notice... it doesnt really match, i dont like it.. but i dont know any other color that would go with it. i want moon discs but cant buy them at the moment, so im waiting until i can afford those

would flat black be any better you suppose for a rim color, or a darker maroon red? im just courious if anyone else has sort of thought of this, its a dumb question but eh, why not ask for some opinions from you guys i guess.

here's a pic, i just dont think the red goes with the flat black of my car... especially now since i repainted my dash metallic green

[​IMG]

and heres the new dash, idk if any other color would go with it or not

[​IMG]

2. Wellll.....how would the dash color look on the rims??? Maybe with some small hubcaps and trim rings.

3. Big Dad

Big Dad

You like to stir the ol hornets nest around here ..Huh ?

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

They are red.......personally prefer black, but it's your car.

5. luvzccr

luvzccr

what do you mean? i just wanted some opinions thats all.

and eh... i photoshopped the dashboard color onto my wheels. didnt really look to good, but i didnt try it with the smaller hubcaps with it, that might look pretty good, thanks

6. budd

budd

with the flat black i`d stay with the red, what did you do to your trim holes?

7. Big Dad

Big Dad

Seems like you like to pick the "hot" topics to stir the pot

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2034793

8. luvzccr

luvzccr

thanks for the opinion, and ya im gonna save up for a welder and just try to do it myself, its best i get the knowledge and experience anyway.

9. tikinailhead

tikinailhead

red would look ok with beauty ring or small hub caps, but i think if they were gloss black it would look better. Red rims are just so cliche.

10. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Just drill some holes in a piece of metal, and practice. It ain't rocket science, but like anything it is a lot of fun to finally figure stuff out.

11. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

i thought the same thing, i lost sleep over it. finally saw a nice burgandy and ran with it...

Attached Files:

12. luvzccr

luvzccr

seriously they really are, which is why im tryin to find something new to paint it with.

my dad had an old 58 when i was 5 years old. he had rusted black rims with nice small hubcaps, but those hubcaps were perfect, i cant find them anywhere though, they're not off of a 58 though, he said it came with his 58 when he bought it. so idk what they were from.

13. tikinailhead

tikinailhead

that would be cool. What color is the interior in the car? I've seen alot of people do the rims the same color as the interior.

14. Businessman

Businessman

I think it looks good.

15. luvzccr

luvzccr

red is dead, haha i love it, im gonna use that quote from now on

hmmm i never even thought of the gold, pretty unique idea, i might think about it. and ya im gonna get some chrome lug nuts sometime soon, im gonna spend my $$$ on the interior first

as for the guy who asked what color is my interior, right now its like a light blue. but im redoing everything to match the dash, so it'll be that dark jade green soon

16. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I'm kind of a sucker for a suede blue rim with matte clear with at least some trim rings myself. I was gonna go black with mine with trim rings but I saw this on another guys flat black car and it looked bitchin', thanks for jarring my memory.

17. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

red wheels should only go on red cars in my opinion, but i think maybe even dark flat blue would look good

18. One of my cars came stock with black paint, a red interior and red wheels. I repainted them red, but you can't see most of the wheel anyway. With the caps and trim rings on, there is only a small (about 1") stripe of red visible. I like when the wheel color matches at least some part of the car (outside paint or interior). My other car has the steelies painted white to match the white exterior paint. Just running red wheels, when nothing else on the car is red, makes the car look worse in my opinion.

19. Retroline

Retroline

[
    Great idea. I'd be more worried about those seats before rim color, but wide whites and nice hubcaps work well or go with the gold, copper idea. show us what you go with.

20. flat_mountain

flat_mountain

I vote for gold, especially if you are getting chrome lugs. Light blue would look good too if you painted the dash white

21. How about black rims with a full size hubcap? Then you don't have to worry about color choice, or matching to anything.

22. Go lime green and tie it in with the dash that way, I'm an old guy and that is the way we did it back in the day. Good luck, Rags

23. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Red rims are fine and look good but not on a flatblack car. Just to cliched now.

24. JoeG

JoeG

Why not go and buy 3-4 different cans of paint, spray one on each wheel and see what looks best? I personally think a soft mint julep kind pof green would look sharp though.

25. gasRus

gasRus

here's a gold /baby moon/black wall combo on Mikes A PU, He's thinking of going to this on his 37 coupe and dumping the billets.

Attached Files:

26. How about a bergundy with trim rings only? (Leaning towards the maroon side not a deep color) As was mentioned, the chrome lugs would really (figuratively speaking) pop off.

27. boozoo

boozoo

bright white! Then have 'em striped. :)

28. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Paint the car to match the wheels. Flat black is the cliche.;)

29. Crankhole

Crankhole

mustard yellow

30. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

The question is what do you want to draw attention to with your car? The body lines? The paint? The wheels? I try to think of the big picture when doing a car. A 58 Ford has terrific styling. I would understate the wheels with black paint, 57 Plymouth smoothie caps and whitewall tires.