Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sinister

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 14, 2009.

1. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

There are some cars that just have the look, that car is one of them, badass!

2. That Thirties Era is really something isnt it? less is MORE!

3. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Where to begin...
    First of all, if this was his first "hot rod", then he built only what he wanted - no pre-determined design plan. (we've all seen the Fonzie p.o.s.'s that some people built for a first or second car). And that brings us to the only conclusion - that the man is an artist - really. The "eye". My wife is in the painter's world and I am always amazed that the best stuff has the fewest brush strokes. But EVERY stroke counts for something. Minimal content - maximum impact. That's genius.

This car makes you want to rethink everything about what a hot rod should be. It's not about raw power, it's about attitude. Some people just have the feel of things - don't fuck with the gut.

4. rixrex

rixrex

Yes, that would be very helpful..has the top/windshield been lowered, altered?..are those different headlights? maybe truck? The exhaust has been enlarged and re-routed? are those the stock wheels and tires? Did I get anything right? It is both beautiful, Sinister and Bad-Ass looking all at the same time....

5. Erik B

Erik B

I was very happy to find this car on the HAMB a while back and even happier to find out we live in the same town. I really wanted to meet the owner/builder and one day happened to cross paths with him when he had the misfortune of getting a flat tire. While he was waiting for a friend with a trailer he gave me the whole run down of the car. It really is a beautiful piece with so many details that were right on in my book. He even crank starts it! Also one heck of a nice guy. I'm building a 27 roadster as well but it won't be as cool as that. Glad to see him get the respect he deserves.

6. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

This roadster is just the way i see it these days and this is how i like 'em ...wow:)
    what a blessing and what a beautiful piece of machinery and hotrod art!
    Very nicely done,
    cab

7. this one's instantly become one of my all-time favourite hot rod pics. what a gorgeous little roadster!

[​IMG]

8. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Very cool little roadster.....although personally, I'd rather have his Grampa's.....

9. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Damn. You almost expect to see the feds coming around the bend in hot pursuit. Thanks Ryan. Slim

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

I must thank you again for all of the wounderful feedback on my roadster!

For those of you who are pleading for a breakdown of the parts used on the car, I must oblige.

Here is a quick rundown:

Attached Files:

11. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

12. You know ... this subject has always intrigued me: Why does the look of a hot rod such as, let's say, a '32 Coupe with a 3" - 4" top chop and dropped in the front with large rear tires on back and smaller ones on front make the car look aggressive? I mean, think about it, it's just a machine, and we do associate the looks of such a car with things like, say this ...

[​IMG]

or this ...

[​IMG]

... and these objects are associated with aggressiveness.
    But it doesn't explain the emotional response (and appeal) to
    their looks.

I know there's a lot of complex things that go one in the psyche that makes us fascinated with the look of a well done hot rod (or fighter planes or whatever). For most of us it has become a nostalgic and/ or romantic connection. However, that aura of aggressiveness, meanness, evilness or whatever you want to call it, I think, comes from something that is hardwired deep into our psyches ... it's something primevel.

Everything from the deuce coupe I described to the two photos above, have attributes that are reminiscent of predators. These things look squinty eyed and focused, ready to spring in for the kill. I think these things look aggressive because we are hardwired by nature to recognize the signs of an aggressive predator. This hardwiring is an evolutionary leftover in our subconscious. Of course, now we have evolved into modern humans and I think things that reflect aggressiveness, as opposed to passiveness, appeal to us because our subconscious tells us it's better to be the predator than the prey ... in other words, the hot rod or fighter plane, in our mind, becomes an extension of ourselves.

That's also why pink Volkswagens make us shiver with repulsion. :D

Sorry if I got carried away, Ryan, but your post was that stimulating :) ....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  13. Jon Dunchack

Jon Dunchack

Mr ModelT - Great car and thanks for the last photo showing key parts - it's very helpful. When you have the time, could you please do something similar (or a drawing) showing how you used the underslung brackets to lower the front. How did you tweak the steering to deal with the stretch? I'm assuming that you're using using stock T springs front and back and that the rear was lowered just be switching the axle housings left to right.

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

hotrd32,

Actually...Grandpa's '29 A-V8 will be my next project when the T is done....wait, who am I kidding...they are NEVER done!

My Grandfather, Thor (great name for a grandpa, and a hot rodder) drove that A in the late 40's and 1950's. He was my insperation to build the T but passed away before it was completed. I plan to build an EXACT duplicate of his car in his honor.

15. MrModelT

MrModelT

Jon and fellow H.A.M.Bers,

I have just the thing. Someone else asked for a diagram of the suspension setup on the car, so I whipped up a few quick drawings.

The front suspension was lowered using the old “<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]<ST1:pLaurel</ST1:p</st1:City>” underslung brackets.

The rear was lowered the same amount (almost on accident) by splitting the rear axle housing and switching sides (right on the left and left on the right). This put the spring perches on the bottom and with a set of hand made extended shackles got the finished stance.

Attached Files:

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

...The steering did not pose a problem because I did not use a stock T steering assembly, as it was not stout enough. I found a complete steering colomn assembly from a 1922 or 23 Willy-Knight sedan that ended up being plenty long enough. I had wanted a steering setup like the bigger cars of the Teens and early '20s with the throttle and timing controls in the middle of the wheel rather than below it like a T, A or early Dodge.
    The Willys-Knight setup was perfect.

It did however, require me to change the steering from "cross-steer" to "push-pull"....thats where most of the little Dodge, Buick, and Cadillac steering stuff comes in.

Attached Files:

17. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

It is GREAT that you are building an A like your Grandfathers. Keep us posted on this build as it occurs.

All this from a 23 year old....I think the future of this hobby is in good hands after all :)

18. Clayton contacted me about 2 months back and I am going to remake his grandfathers pacers jacket. I will post that when its done. I told him I loved it's simplicity, he's gonna build another, wait and see. I'm stoke to make his coat.

Albie
    American Rebel Jacket

19. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I think I just pegged this car...and this is meant as a total compliment....
    Cruella DeVille woulda drove this thing

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Mac The Yankee,

Was going to reply back to your question, but got lost on other things. I am only 5'9" and maybe $1.40 and getting in and out of this thing is a challange, especially with the top up! It takes a ballet like "shoehorning" process....but it looks cool!

It its "Form over Function" kinda car....comfortable seating is overrated.

Clayton

21. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Clayton's roadster proves once again that the T is the ultimate hot rod. Here's another sinister T. It's Rajo1's dad's touring with a V8-60.

Attached Files:

22. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

That would be sweet....I love your roadster, but your Granpa's roadster is just more my style......:)

23. vonShine

vonShine
    from Tejas

I've heard family talk of my grandfather building a car like that in it's day. It gave me insight into him. Thank you. The essence of purity is there. That car could be the birth of a movement.

24. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

This is simplicity at it's BEST!!! This is how traditional hot rodding should be recognized. Beautiful car!

25. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

You just can't improve upon that.

26. R-U-N-N-O-F-T

R-U-N-N-O-F-T
    from Missouri

"They feel like killers."
    My favorite example of this is the 29 Bentley--[​IMG]

27. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I'd skip going to the bank if that were parked out front!!

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

I'd like to hear this "evil" back story of yours :cool:

29. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

this car cancels out at least 20 rat rods. Sooo wicked.

30. mckustoms

mckustoms

That is a mean looking ride. Very cool stance.