Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Signs of the times..Automotive ,gas & oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 13, 2015.

1. I love the old signs and was fortunate enough to score a old 6 foot TEXACO porcelain sign many years ago,I traded a model A tail gate for it.

You can see in on the side of my barn,what do you guys have? HRP

[​IMG]

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That is one fine sign there!

I think you got the better end of that deal with what those signs go for these days with all the TV shows making people think every last one is worth a fortune! I'm relegated to the occasional reproduction item when I allow a splurge on something other than parts.

LOU WELLS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Awesome! Those signs are getting pricey since the "pickers "show started.
    I can only afford the really poor condition signs now.

Attached Files:

• 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      179.6 KB
      Views:
  4. pumpman

pumpman

photo-7.JPG DSCF0021.JPG I too have had the gas & oil bug a long time. Here's a couple in our court yard.

cactus1, ace5043, Model T1 and 3 others like this.

5. I would like to find a pole like you have to mount my sign but they are few and far between nowadays. HRP

6. Magnolia Gasoline sign (behind the string of cleaned and primed 30 Plymouth parts) DSCN1350.JPG

Model T1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

heres a partial of one that was filling a hole in the side of a horse trailer 30 yrs ago--approx. 30x 42--don't think it's rare though

Attached Files:

8. Here is the downsized version of my shop.

image.jpg

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Some very nice looking vintage signs for sure.
    Old signs are full of old memories from the good old day's.
    "If only signs could talk what stories they would have to tell us"

Just my opinion. Jimbo

TagMan and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. I rent space and work on my Pontiac in the "dirty side" of this shop, the good stuff is in the other side. The shop owner has been collecting since he was a kid with no hint of slowing down. They just keep following him home. He also likes Montana Railroad signs, we just hung a single sided Burlington sign made out of 3/16" steel plate, I was too scared to let go for fear it would slide down the extension ladder and lop my ankles off like a rusty guillotine. It's bitch work but the rent is cheap and the fridge is full

0216151314.jpg

0112151808a.jpg

1204141828.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

a giant texaco sign is one of those things I really want. I have a pump and oil dispenser that are Texaco.. My Grandfather owned a Texaco station at one time (then became a Shell dealer later on).

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Yeah Ken,My granddad had a Texaco station also,I have the pump and a oil dispenser.

I have a lot of odds & ends that are Texaco related,including double edge razor blades.

I'll try to remember to take a photo of the wooden sign he had made that's hanging on the porch of my barn tomorrow. HRP

13. I saw an old porcelain round Hudson sign on the Hudson forum a week or so back, was on eBay for 800$ US. :eek:
    Seems a little outer control, I've only got cheapo reproduction ones in my shed. :D

grifcarnut, 37hotrod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. My grandfather owned this shell station in West Seattle, my dad skipped class to run the wrecker on a regular basis.
    He hung out, skipped school, after school, weekends, slept at the beach and showered at the station, etc... in the late fifties grandad lost his ass campaigning a '56 210, qualified for the nationals in CA (out in the first round), early sixties they painted cars for a lowriders club after hours (they always had cash)

[​IMG]

Before he owned it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    seatex, 36 ROKIT, Model T1 and 3 others like this.
  16. gas & guns

gas & guns

I have an old gas station. My avitar. Built in 1928 by my Gr. uncle.
    He pumped gas there till 84. (He was 85) Sold it to a local customer who ran it for about 6 mths. My father an I bought it in 1985 and ran it till EPA restrictions shut us down in late 89.
    The garage in the left of the picture was built in 1930 by two of my uncles brothers for car repair. They ran it for a few years and then moved on to other work. Not sure what they did ( long before my time). It actually had a different address from the gas station.
    The gas station was built as a standard oil "house and canopy" originally, till somewhere around 1933, Standard pissed off my uncle and he went with Sinclair.
    I am currently restoring it as a Sinclair. The pic in my avitar is the only one I have as a Sinclair. The sign on the front is 18in high by 10ft. I searched for 3 yrs on eBay before I saw one. Opening bid was $2000, so I painted my own.
    I had a nice Wolf Head Oil sign on the front of the garage, but some useless prick stole it.
    I have the book keeping back to 1928, all through the depression and the war.
    This was my uncles second gas station.
    During the depression when the locals had no money, they gathered in the garage and had fist fights ( first tough man competitions in Sanilac CO.)
    I have some cool stuff that I would like to do some threads on in the future, but at the current time I post from a cheap tablet, and it won't let me post pics.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  17. As promised this is the Texaco sign my granddad had made for his station,interestingly enough he went in business the year I was born.

After looking at it this morning I am going to hang it up in my shop because the weather is starting to cause it to peel.

My granddad (High Pocket's) had this hanging over his desk inside. HRP 003.JPG

And the oil drum dispenser. HRP

004.JPG

Finn Jensen, seatex, Model T1 and 2 others like this.
  18. pumpman

pumpman

HRP, now that is way cool! I would not have that outside. That definitely belongs inside and protected.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Yeah,I see it almost every day and it's been on the porch of the barn for about 15 years but when I took a up close photo today I realized that is starting to deteriorate so I am going to move it inside my garage.

I can't replace it and being 65 years old I need to protect it and keep it from further damage.HRP

20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Can you protect old porcelain signs with car wax or no?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. I have a few! DSCN0084.JPG DSCN0079.JPG DSCN0080.JPG DSCN0082.JPG DSCN0081.JPG DSCN0078.JPG DSCN0073.JPG DSCN0074.JPG DSCN0075.JPG GARAGE SIGNS 022.JPG GARAGE SIGNS 024.JPG
    And a few I have made!
    Coleman R&R 017.JPG Coleman R&R 019.JPG Before Roof & Sign 014.JPG SIGNS 001.JPG Stuff 015.JPG Signs 003.JPG
    Stuff 013.JPG

22. Yes! Somewhat.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. pumpman

pumpman

Can you protect old porcelain signs with car wax or no?

Yes, it won't hurt it at all and will provide some protection.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. The problem with the sign that my granddad had made in 1950 is that it's wood not porcelain. HRP

patmanta likes this.
  25. Get it inside! It is too cool to have it ruined.

26. ct1932ford and Model T1 like this.
  27. I made a deal with a old grade school friend for this sign,I traded him a bunch of old cigar boxes for it.

It's a double sided flange sign.HRP

006.JPG

Model T1 likes this.
  28. pumpman

pumpman

I just dig the old graphics and colors from the 40's and 50's. HRP that is a great flange sign and you did amazingly well on that trade! This is my office/garage, sure makes it easier to go to work. photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

29. Man,what a beautiful collection of signs..That bread sign is really different and I've never heard of it. HRP

[​IMG]

30. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

HRP, Unless those old cigar boxes were full of cash you came out on top of that trade!
    A little muratic acid will remove the rust stains.

Pumpman, Amazing collection! When I saw the 2 cents less globe I realized you're on the oldgas.com forum.