Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Shoebox Convert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 25, 2009.

1. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Wow....... thanks Ryan.... It really is a smokin deal at this point..... its crazy to me as converts are the HOLY GRAIL of shoebox's...... It is such a great car in so many ways.

An Update as to why I am selling it, and why it has gotton so cheap...... basically I found a really bitchin survivor 34 truck.

I bought Laura an Element last weekend...... its great and she loves it.
    I sold The 3 Window to do it....... CRAZY I know.

I am going through this weird phase where I can't have any projects around...... all the 3 window did was bum me out.... I just don't have any time. Having my DREAM car and no time to work on it just made me feel like a loser......... Like, a really bad LOSER...............

I think I am depressed or something.

Anyway I'll get another one somehow, someday....... Its all good.

So then I found this truck...... the biggest regret I have about moving to Austin is selling my white 34 truck..... I loved that little guy. So now I found another one.... It is a survivor with old laquer paint, CHROME running boards, and tuck n roll.... It rules.

I dropped the price of the shoebox to $16,500 thinking it would sell imediately, and thats exactly what I need to buy the truck.... I am pretty much just trying to swap this car for the truck.

Now I have dropped it to $15,500 becuase the guy with the 34 truck is getting antsy..... I think if it doesn't sell soon, like REAL soon, I am going to loose my deposit on the truck and the deal will be off....... If that happens I think I am going to put a grill in the car and button up some stuff and try to get what its worth..... Or just drive it.... Its a kick ass car.

The truck is wheels and tires away from being AWESOME! So it would be done and I could clear my head...... If I keep the shoebox I am going to cut it up and it will turn into a major project...... So I am better off with out it right now....

My plans for this car are radical.... I would probably be better off starting with a basket case as I would change everything....

Plans would be.....

-Slam it.... static..... bags are for fags haha

-Put the caddy engine from my truck in it....

-Chop it/carson top it....

-Build a crazy 60's style interior...

-radius the rear wheel wells

You know, pretty much make it RULE.

It would be alot like the Roger Cunningham convertible only even more KICK ASS. haha

Anyway thats my story......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Crazy story...

I would.. lower it and put a grill in it, then use the remainder to pay the interest to buy it!

3. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'd do like Bad Bob said he'd do......Put a grille in, lower it, then drive it (for a year or two).

4. heck i would put the grill in it and hop the motor up with some navarro goodies and then drive the wheels off it.

5. roundvalley

roundvalley

Hey Ryan. There are not any luggage racks on a hearse. Buy it!

6. sololobo

sololobo

Hmmm!! I would bullnose trim the hood ,stock 51 grille and hood trim, a little pricy, but the front bumber guards chopped 1 and 1/2 " and re added would take a little vacancy factor away that I see without the guards. I would replace the logo front fender trim with a plain short spear. I would use stock 51 tailight lens with blue dots. Pencil tip exhaust tips or possibly some fish tail tips for a little attitude. If I am seeing a stock antenna it would have to go, hoping paint is matchable. I would put a chrome plug in the hole rather than have that crooked ass mast stickin up there. What ever was left would go into lowering and suspension improvement. Can't tell by the photo if things inside are funky, can't imagine anything being to out of wack, the car is spectacular as it sits, but a few sublte touches could put it over the top. Blah Blah, what the hell do I know, Oh Yeah!! What I like!! ~Sololobo~

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

damn bob, hate to see it go, but i love to know you would be gettin another truck

congrats on gettin laura the element, i know its a load off for you..

see ya in a couple weeks my friend, remember......................

"ITS ALL GONNA WORK OUT"

8. All it really needs is a mild lowering, a 51 Canadian Meteor grille and a set of straight pipes............

9. daddio211

daddio211

I keep wishing for Bob to put in the ad, "will trade for a really bitchin' '31 Tudor sedan and I'll throw in $7000."

It hasn't happened... yet.

Bob? You out there? Ya' hear my plea?

10. neat ride! tell the dude with the truck you'll trade straight up!

11. 21tat

21tat

Put a grill in it and drive the hell out of it.

12. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

converts are so elegant....

Attached Files:

13. titus

titus

section it 2 to 3 inches,lower it, radius the rear wheel wells and put all the stock trim back on it. and then put and overhad motor with an adaptor, something like a caddy or nailhead.

JEFF

14. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'd do something like this:
    [​IMG]

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

fuel pumps right keep it classic,except for the wheel discs,they dont suit the shoebox,go with something like chrome reverse smoothies.Sticking some weird ass grill can really screw with the look of the shoebox,keep it stock.

16. Fenders

Fenders

My first car, over 50 years ago, was a '49 shoebox convert. Bought it for $100. Drove it. Sold it for $100.

Had to read the article. Nice ad. High price.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, if I had 15.5k available to spend it would be sold. And I'm not even looking for a car.

As far as then and now prices go, you actually have to calculate it in what an hour of your time bought then and what it buys now. At the rate of my 1973 hours pay it would have taken a lot more hours to buy it for 6 k than it would take to buy it for 15K at my 2009 pay rate.

If I were to go custom I'd use the stock grill bar and remove the center section and fill it so that it was one solid bar then put on a 51 hood and top bar. Lowered and nice caps and go cruise.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's a challenge... Find a 49-51 close to this condition for under $15.5k. Send me the link and I'll send you a t-shirt on the house.

I think it's a pretty safe bet on my part.

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

Grille teeth,Moons,lower it,call it done.Simple and clean.

20. rodncustom

rodncustom

This is the family convertible I've been looking for!

21. fms427

fms427

I'd do something like ---ummmm--- this !:D

Attached Files:

22. fms427

fms427

After a LOT of searching, I bought the above car for $6500 as a rust bucket needing EVERYTHING. So, I think Bob's price is very reasonable !! I've been thinking of buying it, but I don't need 2 !! Good luck, Bob - try Ebay !!:eek:

23. daddio211

daddio211

Yeah you're safe. Hell, you may as well offer to take him to Hawaii with ya! :cool:

24. I'd swap out the frame, wheels and drive train from my '50 business coupe, including the grill and drive the wheels off it. Then sell off the coupe. While I love customs, a clean '50 'vert would be a shame to cut up.

Attached Files:

25. that is really a cool droptop and not being able to peddle it really is reflecting to the stalled economy. with banks still failing on a weekly basis because of the mortgage bullshit people are really doing some deep thinking about their toys and saying "do i really need this? 2 years ago this car would have sold by word of mouth.

26. djmartins

djmartins

Yeah, sure is.
    It is going to take you some time to even search for another comparable
    convertible.
    Buy it, enjoy it and think of all the time you've saved.

regards,
    DJ

27. Jaker

Jaker

EXTREMELY SAFE bet!

28. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I'd keep the car as it is. I'd spend $10 on a cool hat and use the rest to supplement my income for as long as I could afford to chaffeur LauraBleed around town.

29. Maybe I am blind but I couldn't see where this sweet car is located?

30. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Put a grill in it lower it a set of skirts call big olds to find out where to meet for the next cruise .:D