Register now to get rid of these ads!

She's getting there....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, Apr 19, 2006.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Windshield: 35 Ford maybe?

2. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I love that '53 merc dash!!!

Steering wheel looks later, '60's mopar maybe?

You said you found caps but they were the wrong size, maybe he changed wheels at one point too.

Best of luck with it!

3. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Thanks.
    Pics as early as 62 have the steering wheel. THe early '59 to 61 have a different wheel with a trim ring type horn ring on it , and it was red. This one had woodgrain.

I doubt the old man switched wheels, but it's possible. I have early 59 photos whit flat moon discs, but everything else looks like 15" wheels.
    I ahv eheard from several people that they were an aftermarket thing in the early 60's. I REALLY would like to find a set!

Mark

4. Lucky77

Lucky77

Great car, and a really cool history/family connection too I'm with Pete, please bring it to Billetproof. I would love to see that car in person.

5. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Thanks Lucky. I have family in Kawkawlin :D

I am really busting ass trying to get the body ready to paint by the second week of May without cutting corners on it. I still want it to look great.
    Seems every time I get a panel just about right, I oversand it or something stupid.
    Working on a 77 year old car body that was really pieced together 47 years ago gives new appreciation for plastic filler :D
    I am confident that if painted by mid May I can have it all together and the bugs shook out by Billetproof.

peace,
    Mark

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Mark, Wow, what a nice tribute to your dad. Thanx very much for sharing your story and photos. 19Fordy

7. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Thank YOU for reading it :D
    My fingers are stuck in the sanding block position , LOL. Headed out to work on it today, hopefully get the most of the car intoa little primer today, if the weather cooperates a bit.

Mark

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'd think less if you didn't... Bravo, I'm happy to see someone who can appreciate the history and restore something without changing everything.

9. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I'm glad some understand, restored with blemishes and all, just the way it was.....

I never expected this much support for my resto when I started posting here. I figured most would want an updated ride, at least in some ways.
    Trying to show the way it was.
    The way I see it, this thing IS history. It lets people know what was done back in the day, and how cars were pieced together in backyards and garages all over . They just weren't the high $ showcars of today, "built" by some dude with a high credit limit on his Visa and no skills. They were put together with heart, determination, and occasionally some skill and a few $ from the after school job.

Mark

10. Paging JimA. Paging JimA. This story belongs in R&C.

11. impalamike

impalamike
    from Texas

MAN!! Incredible pictures! KEEP THEM COMING! BTW: What kind of dual quad air cleaner set up is that? I just bought this single four airclearner. -Mike

Attached Files:

12. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Not sure. I have never seen that setup in person, only the Tri-power setup.
    I only have those pics, from the early days of the car.
    It looks as if they had been cut to clear each other , unless they came that way from the factory?

13. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Dug out a couple more for ya, shows the air cleaners on DQ motor, and one of the earliest pics I have , winter of 58-59, notice the snow. Hard core hotrodding in winter in Michigan! Maybe thats the reason for the lead, working with it kept them warm ;)

Got a lot done today. I even worked on that odd grille shell. Even that was pieced together! Top is one piece, and the lower sides are a few more, then the bar across the bottom was brazed in.......money musta been tight!

Mark

Attached Files:

14. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I've seen those air cleaners like Mike posted with factory flat spots to clear each other, that musta been what was on it.

Thanks again for sharing all this!

15. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Still no ideas on the windshield? Thats one of the last mysteries I have to solve.....

Mark

16. Burt is about 7 miles west of Birch Run, pretty much right in the middle between Flint and Saginaw. I'm gonna go get some pics of my neighbors coupe soon and i'll send you some. It's a lot like your car. I'd love to see yours sometime.

17. WOW!!!!!!!! Damn near brought tears to my eyes. And, like you said, it doesn't have to be primer. In-fact, I don't remember very many that were primer in color and I go back to the mid 50's in hotrodding. Candy Apple Red, Pearl Blue, Emerald Green and shiny ass Black were the norms. And a 324 Olds to boot. Way cool. 331 Hemis', 331 Caddy's, 324 Old's, nailhead Buicks, and an occasional Packard......those were the days.

I love that car and want it...........................LOL

18. Painterman

Painterman

Hey Mark. Awesome job man!! I am so glad you're bringing it back to life the way it was. You are indeed very lucky to have a piece of hotrod and family history. I have been searching to no avail for a certain car from our family to do the same thing with. Great job. Keep it up. You inspire us all.

19. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

You can try a reverse title search at the DMV if you know who had it in your family.

Thanks for the compliments on the ride, they help keep me working on it.

Geeked. Got new tri-power linkage (ball bearing, VERY NICE , polished :D) brand new split Mallory cap, and sweet new pipe block-offs. Old ones were warped and let exhaust out ....
    Cowl and doors are ready to prime. Rear 1/4's close. Have to give rear decka workout this weekend.

Mark

20. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

Nice, nice, nice! Sitting here reading all this on hardly any sleep the last two days and it's pretty near brought tears. Great job man!

I can only hope my son will enjoy working on cars as much as I do. He's only 4 but, if I can get his attention long enough, I let him crank a couple bolts with the ratchet. I get a kick out of watching him.

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing the story and all the great pics.

-David

21. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Thanks Mugs.
    Got the dash primed , and installed new cutout blockoffs. Also mudded up the grille shell.
    The bottom part was pretty nasty, so my uncle and I welded in a piece of 3/16 brake line tube for a nice edge to work from. After knocking the putty down it ought to look much better. Also airfiled most of the rear deck.
    I should be able to have it ready to prime completely with primer surfacer by 2nd week of May. Took that week off for vaca, and hope to spray color on the car then.
    I'll keep you all posted, and will have some pics this weekend for you.

Mark

22. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Got the new tri-power linkage on, required some fabbing to get it right, and get the geometry correct.
    Still going apeshit with a DA and Airfile on the body. Funny how sucha small car can get so big when doing bodywork :D I have newfound respect for anyone doing a 59 Caddy!

Progress is being made. I spent 7 hours on it yesterday, and have today and Monday to spend the day on it also.
    Will post pics as soon as I get primer on , looks like hell now.

Mark

23. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Ok, I promised pics, so here you go.
    Looks a LOT nicer , even just in red oxide Primer.
    I got 3 medium coats on. Will sand out this week, be ready to paint next week. The original color the old man had it is really close to a dark teal type color I have seen on a few older Ford Explorers. Paint supply matches it toa '78 T-bird. Who knows, as long as it's close, trying to stay accurate.

Funny....compare to the primer pics in early part of thread. History repeats itself.

Am I on the right track?
    Mark

Attached Files:

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking good VS.

25. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Thanks! Sometimes all you need is a compliment to make the work seem worthwhile :)

Mark

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I like it! I know you're on a schedule to get it painted, and I respect that, but it's almost too bad, because she's pretty darned sexy in her underwear!

27. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

LOL, well, never thought of it that way, but it does look "meaner" this way.
    I have next week off work, so I have to have it ready to go. Now I have a week of nights to block it and tweak it, and I shuld be ready. For a 77 year old body with some lead and plastic in it, It doesn't look too bad. If you ever saw how many pieces make up this body ...:O. I suppose the paper route money didn't go too far in '58 when looking for a hot rod body!
    Anyhow, I think it'll look presentable soon.

Mark

28. LDNFAST

LDNFAST

wow....you got to get that to billetproof i wanna see that in person

29. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Well....I think I have to work that Saturday :(
    I should be OK for the Gratiot cruise, and Harper. Would love to make Billetproof, but I'll prolly have to work till 1 pm .
    I was thinking maybe we could get a bunch of guys together in a central location one night, like Royal Oak or somehting. I'm up for it.

Mark

30. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I blocked the car down with 320, filled the scratches and pinholes with glazing putty, and reshot it agin with primer in the areas where I went through.
    Will block it with 600 tomorrow, then will shoot Tuesday, (hopefully), with Urethane Sealer, color, and clear.

She isn't ever going to be perfect, and no doubt as old and rickety as it is, it'll crack, but she ought to present well for her vintage. The old lady doesn't look too bad.

Mark

Attached Files: