Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shaving handles/remote entry on a 35-36 Ford pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Anyone done it? I generally like door handles but the 35-36 Ford pickups only have a key lock on the passenger side. The shop truck will be driven daily, so I don't want to have to slide through every day.Can I just put solenoids on the locks and still leave the handles?

I don't know crap about these new fangled remote entry systems.

2. Wouldn't it be easier to put another lock on the driver side?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. I agree....

Root,I think you are smart leaving the door handles,it was one of the dumbest things I ever did with my Model A pickup,I had all kinds of problems over the years with solenoids. HRP

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

They never came with door locks on the driver side, so I am thinking (I could be wrong) that the mechanism will be reversed. I am not sure. That's what I would prefer.

5. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Locks on early Fords were on the passenger side away from traffic, I've been told. If this is the case, maybe the Aussie counterpart would have a locking drivers side handle? Just a thought, Tom...

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You do know that that is a safety design to prevent you from getting out into the high traffic so prevalent in 1935.;) I just reach across, hit he handle and lock it from inside. I don't ever lock my hotrod so it's not a big deal to me. None of the present thieves are going to know how to start it anyway

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

If the handle is what locks, swap the side to side. Gary

8. You want to shave the lock out of the passenger door skin and run locking handles on both sides?

That's pretty easy.

I wouldn't count solely on solenoids and batteries to let me into my truck.

9. Easy to leave the stock handles and use solenoids or other method to open. Just disconnect the handle from the latch so it remains in place, but is not functional. Even stock latches can use solenoids, does not have to be bear claw type latches. You will need some fabrication to hook them up. I always recommend that you have a back-up method to get in in case the electric side does not work. A cable ran through or similar.

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'34 Ford passenger car aftermarket door handles have locks on both sides. They are a lot more swoopy than the OG '36 trucks, but a little swoopy won't hurt you.

I put '36 coupes on mine with no provision for locks. Can't see them too well in the pic, but you know what '36 coupe handles look like...

[​IMG]

See you in Joplin????

-Abone.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good ideas fellas. I am researching installing a lock on the driver's side. I was thinking it would be cool to have solenoids to lock it like a modern car, but leave the locking mechanism in place. Not sure if this is possible, but that way I would have entry if they did go south. The lock is in the door skin, not the handle. That's why I am asking first, to make sure before I start poking holes in the door skin. :)

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Break a window and drive it, dont worry about locking the doors, most kids these days wont be able to figure out a starter button to steal it anyway

I should add, as a young hot rodder, i had a neighbor with a '38 p/u who told me when i was 14 and it had the keys in it (in 1999) that if i could start his truck i could take it around the block, i declined, i dont think he realized i knew old cars like i did...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

14. fortynut

fortynut

K.I.S.S It's a pickup. Convert the driver's door to a lock with a key. The more stuff you have in a system, the more the system is going to fail. Applying modern electrical/electronic technology will only add another level of potential hiccups. Make sure you hide a duplicate set of keys somewhere on the vehicle. I've walked home a couple of times not heeding that advice. Nothing like unlocking your vehicle and getting inside. It's one of the pleasures of life. Old School and totally something you have to grow into, like appreciating baseball stats.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Fortynut, I am looking at doing that, however it's not that easy. If anyone knows of a way to do it (other than the $375 kit, I'm all ears.) I'll tear into the doors this weekend and see if it is reversible.

16. alchemy

alchemy

Actually the Drake kit sounds like a bargain. Either you spend many hours messing with the crusty original latches setting up another lock on the driver's side (it can probably be done using parts from an extra pass side); or you buy a bunch of electronics that will cost $$ anyways. The Drake kit gives you all new latches and the locks as well. Do it.

17. Here's some 36 pickup door mechanisms .
    First pic shows it un-locked
    image.jpg
    Here it is in locked position

image.jpg
    Here's the other side
    image.jpg

Here's a quick & simple solution to crawling across.
    But image.jpg It's key in to lock and unlock and no solenoids

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

That is fine by me. What are the handles? 34?