Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sept 2010 Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Bill is not being a smartass. He is just trying to help you as sometimes things get over looked or just thinking again about the problem may give you an idea as to what is wrong.-Weeks

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

This is why you didn't get a lot of answers to your question. You assumed everyone knows and cares about you and your car.

Your original question does not have enough info to have a definitive answer.

The people that were kind enough to answer your question were only trying to fill in some of the voids you left out.

Would this answer been of any help?:

Model A normal operating temp is 140 - 210.

Think before you type next time.

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thank you ... Crazydaddyo I could not say that any better. The Banger Meets I think is one of the best parts of the HAMB. You guys all make it what it is every mouth and it is so nice that for the most part we dont get the guys like that type-in shit like that
    thanks guys Bill

4. Now, lets get back to my good day! We took our car to the 66 hillclimb today with a new driver.He had never seen the car before and never driven in any type of competition so I told him to start in 2 nd gear, wind it up and dump the clutch and do a "burnout' when they waved the Green flag and shift when the tach hit 4 grand. After he made 3 passes with varying times we, he and I, decided he was ready so I let some air out of the rear tires. On his first record run he ran an 8.8, shifting at around 3500, this is a guess as he never looked at the tach. same on the second and it even fishtailed a little. Now a 8.8 with a repop Winfield head, and dual Winfield side drafts (my conversion's) A Jim Brierley Winfield SUIA regrind cam, and for the people who are curious about smaller details, a bone stock model "B" distributor ain't half bad. Now, the overheads were running 8.2 or slower, mostly 4 ports, Art ran a 8.3 so we were only.5 off of his time. Maybe half a shift. Any one can bolt on an overhead for more horses, done it myself, but it takes a little tweaking to get your flathead "A" to run that strong. And, again, for those who might be interested, it runs over 200 degrees and it likes it!

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Great news Bill !!!!!!! Congrats. I wish I was in town to go have fun out there too.

I have also found that my car runs faster in the heat.

Are you running Inserts and pressure?
    Is that head a crow's foot? What Comp ratio?
    Are those Winfield D's?

Thanks

6. ebtm3

ebtm3

Great job Bill- both with the car, and with the reply- I thought from the question that the guy was a noobie also!

Herb Kephart

7. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

youngrodder1929,

Your coupe is way bas ass! I love it

8. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I have one on my VW and its works great! It revs more evenly from idle on up and you can really feal a difference in power. I have a fealing it would wake up a banger a little bit. My motor is a 1776 (108 ci) with a fairly large cam and dual webers. Give it a try!

9. Yes, I'm running pressure with Skokie rods that I modified to use Continental inserts. The inserts that came in the rods are steel with a flash plating of white metal, any way that is what they look like and I only had maybe .0005 clearance with them as my crank is 1.500 on the rod throws. Yes, the head is a Crows foot from Jim Gordon's first run when Gene Scott was still around. The compression ratio is around 8 to 1. The Winfield Carburetors are "BB"'s. Used to piss me off when I got the throttle bodies and some one had opened the mounting holes up. I had 2 that way so it only took a little massaging to fit them to the "C" spaced studs. I built the manifold for "C"'s but I couldn't get them to idle under 2,000, one throttle is badly pitted. If I can find another "C" throttle body to pair up with my "good" one I'll try the "C"'s again. Dan Iandola once tried 2 "C"'s on the street with a flathead "A" or "B" and told me it was too much. He was there yesterday. Some of the cars were really smokin the tires which looks impressive but doesn't make for good ET's. Might have been less cars but what were there ran and sounded good. Looked like some smoked half way up the hill. Any one that could of should of been there they missed a good showing of 4 Bangers. I mean Bob Kehoe running in the 7's shifting an "A" box in his immaculate # 4 sprint car. Or the Moores in their speedsters, her shifting her 5 speed and Arts automatic, both in the low 8's J Brierley smokin in his speedster Dan Eubanks chasing an antique Harley off the course after the runs were over. My apprentice wrench, Jordan, went around trying to find out what the other flatheads ran but most wouldn't tell him. Fast Freddie came by and spent probably 20 minutes dropping names. He says he has the Saw Racers chevy headed engine, but it will probably disappear into his shop like all of his other treasures. Larry Madole came by to advise me to change gear ratios, he didn't realize we were only using 2nd and high. The experts will tell you that you can't get off of the line with a flywheel under 20 lbs. but all you need are the balls to wind it up and drop the clutch! Jay Steele used to just slip his foot off of the pedal to start. If you are worried about an axle breaking or shearing a key my advice is for you to get back on the sidewalk.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. Thanks for the "start" advice Bill. I hope to do a Flat Hill Climb next year,I'll try it!!

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is the last picture of the Morton & Brett head until it's on the motor. The valves are lapped, the rockers are adjusted fore and aft as well as up and down and side to side so that everything lines up. Header flange is on as well as the intake. Holes that needed plugging are plugged. Places that needed welding are welded. Oil fittings made and installed. It's ready and yellow. What can go wrong?

Attached Files:

12. I run 5.30's in the quick change rear end and I lap my rear hubs to the axle taper and, remember, this is what I do, I tighten the rear axle nuts to around 200 ft lbs. I would go to at least a minimum of 150+ lbs. if you are scared to go the full 200 Then I puff up the rear tires to 32 lbs. so they will spin then as you gain confidence and your clutch holds up to the abuse lower the pressure. If you go too low on the pressure you will pull a stem. I only dropped the pressure down to 24 cause I was chicken to go any lower. Hate to have a flat and have all those guys point and laugh. Don't fry your clutch by slipping it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  13. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

You show them Bill...and congrats on your day of fun.

14. Camm

Camm

Who makes the best adapter from A block to a 39 tranny?? Thanks:D

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Can we see the rockers?:D
    thanks Bill

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Bill

Metal stems and truck tubes! If your running a square tire like an Ascot groove style use a metric radial tube they fill the tire better

If that still doesn't work they you have to screw the tire to the rim!!

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Why not? If you go back to post #80 you will see this picture and a combustion chamber picture of the head. This was before I actually spaced the rockers correctly, but you can't tell that from the picture.

Attached Files:

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hello, a friend wants me to look for a mag for a side drive unit for a Model A-B Ford at Hwershey next month. What should I be looking for, what brand and models are best?

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I like the American-Bosch model MJC. Look for the version with the advance lever that comes out of the cap. Also make sure it spins in the right direction and that it has the impulse drive.

Here is a picture.

[​IMG]

21. I have considered the screws but now I'm thinking maybe these tires might be a little hard, they are about 13 years old. Dragster buddy said if I get it to lock up I'll probably rip something out Might have to go to 15's to get some width. There is a 7" limit but some looked wider than that. Looked like some of the guys were burning a second or two off at the start. Their tires might be too small or they just like the smell of burning rubber. The guy driving decided to shift sooner and it just accelerated all the way in high, still has more to go at the top. Might go up a size, decisions decisions! Found a photo!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  22. NORSON

NORSON

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to capture or copy & paste individual Posts from threads on the HAMB? Can anyone point me to a "Users Manual" for the HAMB? Thanks for any help in this area. - Norm

23. might be easiest just to highlight, right click, then paste into a Word doc?

24. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Just plain Bill says, "If you are worried about an axle breaking or shearing a key my advice is for you to get back on the sidewalk."

Thanks, I will be laughing about this for weeks!

Will Kimble

25. Gaters

Gaters

Here's more of this beautiful roadster from a couple different angles!!!! It sounds just as bitchin too!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. You don't have to laugh for me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;););). Pun on words intended.-Weeks

27. andyg

andyg

that REALLY IS funny!

28. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Norm,

You can "print" from the "Thread Tool" button at the beginning of the thread in the red bar. I then print to a PDF file, I have an adobe pdf printer set up in my printer folder. If you need help with the pdf part PM me and I can walk you through it quickly.

29. I want to publicly thank "Gators" for sending me copies of the photographs he took of my car at the 66 hill climb last Sunday. Good photos! Good fellow HAMB member!

Thank you

Bill Nielsen

30. Now, another post regarding the 66 hillclimb last Sunday. We had a good day at the hillclimb. I had told the crew to enter the car in the Historic class as there had been problems with some of the requirements in the "Speedster" class. To my surprise they came back entered in the SP1 class. They told me that the tech crew had given them that designation. When a member of the tech crew came by to say "hi" later in the morning I asked why this was done as I did not want any hassles. He said that they just weren't concerned with that stuff and have a good day. So we did. Tuesday I received a phone call from Dan Eubanks informing me that my Lakes Modified was now considered a Track Roadster and as such was being transferred to the Historic class. When I told him that it was his tech crew that had determined the car to be in SP1 he said they were wrong and didn't know what they were doing. He then brought up the same old argument of it being a 1 man car and I pointed out I had sent a photo with 2 people in it at a parade . He then told me that my seat was not stock and that was in violation of the seating rule because it had been narrowed to fit the narrowed body. And I had something wrong with my steering. But his main problem and what had caught his attention, he stated, was that the car was too fast for the class and this must have been because the body was narrowed or I had done some other thing that was not fair to the slower cars. This is possibly a over simplification of the conversation which was a lot longer. Is there a lesson here?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010