Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sept 2010 Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Sep 1, 2010.

1. 97

Wilsons Vintage Engines
    Bribie Island
    Mr. Steve Wilson
    61-07-54975169
    Queensland
    Australia

2. 97

From this morning's earthquake? It was localised in Christchurch area ,(600 miles from here) I think Rusty ( Russ Tee) is the only one who posts on the banger forum regularly and lives in Christchurch..... some other rodders there have lost stuff, but it looks like there have been very few serious injuries and no deaths even though it was a huge earthquake.
    It won't have affected any Aussies they are at least a couple of thousand miles away .

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for your concern Dan, but we are too far away in Australia to experience anything, and it was inland so no Tsunami (splg). I Hope the was not too much damage over in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

On another topic, I just got back from seeing an Engineer who authorises getting modified vehicles on the road where I live.

He said if you use an original engine - no engineer's report is required (these cost 2 - 2 1/2K) so I have some soul-searching to do about my project - banger vs Stovebolt mill, Model A vs 32 frame, T5 vs Packard trans, or to just sell it and buy a 47-53 Chev pickup and take the kids to the US to se Disneyland, and me to El Mirage, LARS, the Broiler and the Antique Nats

4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That is a no brainer....Banger, A frame, T-5

Leave the family home and hit "the Lake", "the Show" And "the Drags".:D:rolleyes:
    You can pay for the build with the money you would save from not going to D-Land.:D

Glad to hear you are ok.

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

The red "X" part of the picture shows up well ;)

We'll see about the leaving the W & K at home bit! :eek:

8. RussTee

RussTee

yahoo shake rattle and roll massive quake 7.1 mag buildings down lost chimney and hot water cylinder paint a little scratched on the 26RP roadster has broken taillight lens no deaths but damage is bad center of the city is shut down power is just coming back on sewage and water pipes badly damaged scary stuff still getting major after shockswill give an update tommorrow rusty

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I'm glad your OK and it wasn't worse. I wnder when California's big one will come.

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Did that work?

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Glad your safe !!!!!!!!! Stay away from anything overhead.

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Nope.

13. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Very nice look-in set up. How many did you make to sell?

14. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks Bluto and Crazy surviving ok a lot of damage they say it may be over a billion dollars Christchurch is NZs second largest city just about every house has suffered some damage center of the city is decimated we have just evacuated the childrens health camp where i work they are setting up emergency centers all a bit crazy at the moment it will be interesting how the next few days pan out have not heard from any of the local banger guys hope all are well even some roads have large cracks some areas have had liquidacation ground turning to liquid mud this seems to have caused the most damage dont want to go rubber necking have concentrated on evacuating the kids from the camp we are still getting after shocks

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

In times of emergencies kids, wives and family come first, then houses, workplaces and way down the list are hot rods
    Glad you and the kids in your care are ok

16. 97

Yep can see all the pictures now.

17. 97

Better get that "high wheel " roadster out Rusty, it will think it's back in the 30s and the roads are "normal".:D:D
    Probably do better that the modern SUVs.

18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I found some great info on the history of the Model A block. Very in depth analysis of it's evolution. It will take some time to read it all.

Here is a link:
    http://www.plucks329s.org/40hb.htm

The entire site is a wealth of info. I'll add it to the resource list.

19. It will affect the whole country I would imagine. Scary stuff to think about and prepare for. There are alot more overhead powerlines, gas lines, water lines, now then in 1906....... Katrina and the tsunamis/quakes overseas were bad, but a quake that cripples California is a very troubling thought.

Glad you are ok Russtee. This is the first I have heard of the quake. Hope the infrastructure is restored timely and everyone survived.-Weeks

20. Thanks Dan, hear anything about a 5 bearing block being made soon??? I had a club member tell me there is a batch being made and they will retail somewhere near 2500-3500 range.-Weeks

21. Terry Burtz is working on a new "A" engine/block. I think the patterns are close to finish. It supposedly will appear stock on the outside. You could probably Google his name. He periodically sends out notices describing his progress.

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Weeks,
    Ya, Terry Burtz is the one that is spearheading this very ambitious project. The outside will be stock A. The inside will be modern 4 cylinder. His goal was a short block minus cam for $3,000 . All US. made too. I think that was @ 5 years ago. I would think that might get into the 4K range in today's dollars. I have seen pictures of the first block as cast. It was suppose to be at The big Model A meet in Vancouver last month. Here is a link to the history of the project:
    http://www.modelaengine.com/index.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  23. Thanks Bill and Dan for the info. Yeah a bunch of my model A club members went up to the Vancouver meet and this is where the info came from.

Bill I finally met Phil about a month ago but I have been real busy and have not seen him out again recently. He invited me to come check out his projects but I have been preoccupied with building a dirt track car for the last month. He was talking about making a trip out there to see you sometime soon and catch up fyi.-Weeks

24. RussTee

RussTee

Earthquake Update
    This has been a major event! although many areas are undamaged some areas have had major damage. Services such as sewage and water are damaged mainly underground so at this stage it is an unknown quantity Emergency services are copeing well but aftershocks are causing problems [domestic airterminal was damaged overnight but has now reopened] one of the wellfare centers has been damaged overnight by a 5.5 aftershock and people relocated HOWEVER THERE HAVE BEEN NO DEATHS dont know how other HAMBers have been effected but i am ok but my home has suffered some damage It will take months for everything to return to normal some hundreds of homes have been written off but the govt has money to cover these there is no panic and we will get through thanks for your thoughts and messages

25. SixFive

SixFive

Hello everyone.

I've recently started work on my '28 A Tudor, which will be a very early, very basic styled hot rod.

It was completely stock when i got it, and i am hoping i can get the Banger in it running.

Can anyone help me with advice or what i need to do to fire it up?

The wiring is totally shot and i need to replace it all, but just want to hook up the very basics for the motor, no lights, no horn etc. just to see if it will start.

I've found wiring diagram but positive ground is completely foreign to me.
    Also i only have access to a 12V battery at the moment. Will this be ok just to see if the starter will turn it over?

The ignition is stuck in the on position and the key is jammed in, can i bypass this with an on/off switch?

What else do i need just to get it to run?

Any help is much appreciated!
    Thanks.

26. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Your life will be easier if you just buy a new wiring kit and get a new switch. Its a model A all that shit is cheep and you wont have to any trouble with that part of the car
    just my 2 cents... good luck
    Bill

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If you just want to get it running on 12v, then you will need a 12v coil. Unhook all of the wires. hook cable up to the starter, red goes to the post on the starter, black goes to ground on the engine. run a wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the 12 v coil. Run another wire from the negative side of the coil to the distributor. rig a fuel tank to the carb. Step on the starter switch when your ready to hear it run. Don't leave the wire from the battery to the coil on for very long without the engine running, you will toast the ignition. To stop the engine, remove the 12 v wire to the coil.

28. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Any suggestions on a transmission mount?

29. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Might eyes might be playing tricks on me but if you look closely it is mounted from above.

Looks like a new crossmember slipped inside of the original unit and bolts to top of the trans.

I'm interested in more info myself, looks like a nice fit.

30. ebtm3

ebtm3

I was concerned about cutting so much of the center X member away, but now that I see that piece of channel inside--Ought to know CDO wouldn't do a hack job.

I would have put a larger radius in the cutout area in the front of the old X member though- but that's just me.

Herb Kephart