Register now to get rid of these ads!

SDRA Dragster For The Coast Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old28, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Not a criticism gentlemen, this's just lint from my own navel .......

I now know a few folks who went the coins route, a couple in HAMBsters, and several in other classes that were also intended for real nostalgia building. I also know folks who actually resent it, and/or carp about it. I've finally come to the conclusion that even though it "ain't what it is fer me" it's still good. It brings more folks in, perhaps some without ALL the skills needed to scratch build a dragster safely (with or without NfHRA's meddling), and some that couldn't otherwise join the fun.

"A rising tide floats all boats." is but one of several (ad nauseum :rolleyes:) adages, etc, from the corn country I was born to. Most of'em have some basis in relevance, and I think this is one that can apply to our endeavors. :D

2. Old28

Old28

old6 -- Dick, I feel mostly the same way, build and race a low budget nostalgia car or have someone do it for you and pay the cash, either way we get more cars out there and the classes keep growing. There are a few HA/GR and SDRA cars that are over the top in my eyes, but that's what they want so go for it.:cool:

Remember what we have been preaching for years on this forum,

BUILD WHAT YOU WANT & RACE IT!!!!!!!!;)

Don't let anyone change your mind just so you will fit their mold.:D:rolleyes:

I know I am not as good with the words but that is my two cents on the subject.:cool:

3. injected27

injected27

Those cars look great. I truely love the format of the SDRA racecars myself. I am still going to run my street roadster some bracket racing also. I am going to run the super comp dragster mainly 1/4 mile stuff. The motor for it is to expensive to be bracket racing with when I can build a cheap motor for the roadster. The sdra car is basically a way to use parts I have that want take the abuse in either of the other cars. My daughter can learn the basics of racing a car with a transmission and a little horsepower. I do not have to spend a ton of money for her to do it. The super comp car will be hers when she shows me she is ready. I kinda figured on running the sdra car in foot brake class when we run her JR. I just have to get all these ducks in one row and make it happen. I am hoping all will be ready first of next year. I do enjoy the skill and thinking outside of the box on this forum.

4. Old28

Old28

injected27 -- Jason, it is real nice these days to see a dad that wants to take time out of his daily job of making a living for his family and help his daughter work her way up the driving ladder a little at a time. You have a good plan that you guys will grow with and have lots of racing fun.

Don't forget those pictures as you build, we love pictures.:D:rolleyes:

5. bobw

bobw

Great looking cars Tom.

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I think one of the things that turns my crank about HAMBsters is something I hadn't expected, namely the wide variety of folks getting into'em. I'd figured it'd be just a few fellow wierdos (rather like most of my other hobbies) that were into a niche sort of thing.

I mean, the folks we have so far aren't numerous yet, but talk about "all walks of life"! I honestly hadn't realized non-freaks (closer to normal than myself, that is) were this interested and this talented. To a man, you're folks I like and enjoy. :cool:

7. bobw

bobw

I saw a bumper sticker one that said, "We're all here because we're not all there".

That pretty much defines the HA/GR, SDRA, Oregon group, crowd.

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Wherever you go...there you are! :D

Unless you happen to be somewhere else. :eek:

9. Old28

Old28

Bob and Tom -- That more or less sums it up.:D;):rolleyes:

But we are a fun & happy group:)

10. Old28

Old28

Well got my old school seat cover back and I think it looks cool and fits the car style.

As you can see in the picture I still need to get my Rosetta Spuds re-welded in the next few weeks and we should be good to go for a T&T before the August ANRA race.

Attached Files:

• 518.JPG
      518.JPG
      File size:
      111.6 KB
      Views:
    • 519.JPG
      519.JPG
      File size:
      119.1 KB
      Views:
  11. Old28

Old28

Well friends I have been a little under the weather the last few weeks and have not worked on the car. Feeling a little better today and put the finishing touches on my tac bracket, got it painted and wired. Tested it out with a motor run and she works fine. I will say it is nice to be able to set my idle a little closer. I will need to get one of those "Go Pro" cameras to record my runs as I don't think I have ever look at the tac on a run in my 40+ years of racing:eek:.

Attached Files:

• 522.JPG
      522.JPG
      File size:
      118.8 KB
      Views:
    • 524.JPG
      524.JPG
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
  12. bobw

bobw

Looks good, Tom. Just so it doesn't shake too much mounted on the engine.

I too, never see the tach. Frankly, I don't know what I look at during a run.

Glad you are feeling better.

13. Old28

Old28

Ya Bob, I thought about that when I was building the bracket. My aluminum body and firewall vibrate more than my motor. The needle was very solid through the RPM range and at idle (were most of the vibration happens) it was OK. Maybe just luck!

With me not looking at the tac during a run it don't really matter if it vibrates or not.;)

It's like gauges, most of us look at them when we start the car, never looked at one during a pass.:rolleyes:

14. Old28

Old28

Well I have not make a pass down the strip or on my street and I am already making a change to the rear end.:rolleyes:

I have a Ford 8.8 rear end in the car, I like it because it is about 40+ pounds lighter than a 9" rear. The bad part is that it has C-Clip Axel setup in it that I have not liked sence I mounted it. If and when one of the c-clips or an Axel breaks there is nothing to stop the Axel from sliding out of the rear housing. The thought of this happening on the top end in an open wheel car is not some thing this old man does not want to go through.:eek:

I have been pulling myself out of bed at 4AM so I can work in the garage for 3-4 hours (it's been 105+ for the last 4 days & we have a few more days before it gets back into the mid 90's) and have the rear apart, axles out and I am waiting for a puller I ordered to get the housing tube bearings out. Then I can cut the tube ends and get it ready for the Moser C-Clip Eliminator bearing pack to be pressed on the axles.

I will try to get pictures as I go along later next week.

Attached Files:

• 525.JPG
      525.JPG
      File size:
      83 KB
      Views:
    • 526.JPG
      526.JPG
      File size:
      139.1 KB
      Views:
  15. ThingyM

ThingyM

BOY Tom,,, Your gonna have somekind of a good looking race car there Bud...Really looks great. Ya wanna do mine too..??? LOL Dick.

16. Old28

Old28

Thanks Dick M, I hope it comes out as well as they show on their Web Site. Hope to get it done by next weekend. Going to be 100-106 all week, dam hot to be working in the garage. Love to do yours if it's in your shop. I feel like I am in a machinist wounder land.:D;)

17. Old28

Old28

Well I got a little more done on the axle housing today. My new inside puller showed up yesterday and make short work of removing the inner bearings, took about 2 min to get 2 bearing out. Amassing how well things work when you have the right puller.:D

Cut the tubes and checked the Moser C-Clip Eliminators for a trial fit. All looks good so far. Will trial fit the eliminators with the backing plates to make sure they match up true and then take it apart and have the eliminators pressed on the axles.

More in a few days.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• 525.JPG
      525.JPG
      File size:
      83 KB
      Views:
    • 528.JPG
      528.JPG
      File size:
      94.7 KB
      Views:
    • 530.JPG
      530.JPG
      File size:
      121.6 KB
      Views:
    • 526.JPG
      526.JPG
      File size:
      139.1 KB
      Views:
    • 529.JPG
      529.JPG
      File size:
      73.5 KB
      Views:
  18. bobw

bobw

Tom, those Moser pieces look well made. Don't get any salty perspiration on them.:D

19. Old28

Old28

Well got my replacement Moser C-Clip eliminator kit on Friday and had the other unit pressed on, went fine this time.

A little run through for anyone that may do a Ford or Chevy C-Clip replacement, they are both about the same. Remove the roller bearings and cut the housing as per their work sheet. Clean up the cut and try the eliminator by hand to make sure you have cut and ground enough.

Press on the eliminator units as per their work sheet. You will need to cut off the old C-Clip saddle on the end of the axle so they wont hit the center spider gear pin, they tell you about this.

Be sure to do a trial fit with the backing plate in place and the eliminator unit on the axle and bolted in place. If all looks good remove the axle with the eliminator and put sealer they supply on the face that contacts the backing plate ( take your time and get this right as this is the area that leaks if you have a problem). Re-bolt the unit in place with thread lock on the bolts. I torqued the grade 8 bolts to 45 pounds as they are seated in an aluminum housing.

The rest was just getting the stuff back together and adding rear end lube. Was not a bad job and I am glad I removed the C-Clip setup. Be aware that it takes a very good press to get the units with their bearing and seal on the axle.

Attached Files:

• 528.JPG
      528.JPG
      File size:
      94.7 KB
      Views:
    • 530.JPG
      530.JPG
      File size:
      121.6 KB
      Views:
    • 536.JPG
      536.JPG
      File size:
      71.4 KB
      Views:
    • 537.JPG
      537.JPG
      File size:
      66 KB
      Views:
    • 533.JPG
      533.JPG
      File size:
      139.9 KB
      Views:
    • 535.JPG
      535.JPG
      File size:
      125.4 KB
      Views:
  20. Old28

Old28

Well after a little less than 1 1/2 years of building, I made my first street test on my SDRA ride. May not seem like a big deal for some out there, but after two medical scares, one operation & a continuing back problem it's a big deal to me.:D:eek:

My mind still in the 60's but the body says your dreaming, so I will do what it takes to keep me in this car as long as I can.;)

Was only able to take some pictures this time, maybe a video later this week. No rubber as my street is full of kids. Have to do it at the track in a few weeks.:cool:

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      118.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      111 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      131.3 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      108 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      130 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      98.5 KB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      100.2 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
    • 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      103.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  21. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

looks great Tom

22. bobw

bobw

Very nice Tom. A milestone for sure. I'll bet it was hard to hold back.

Here's what keeps me working: Aleve

23. Old28

Old28

Al & Bob, thanks for the nice words. It felt good to be in the seat again.

I hit it a few times and it felt good, but this test showed a couple of things that I need to take care of before we race in two weeks. Race cars are a never ending build & it don't matter if its a 7.50 or a 15.0 car.:rolleyes:

24. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Looks Great Tom!

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Careful, Tom. You'll have those "new hide nubbins" all worn off before they get to see Eagle Field. ;)

Lookin' good, Sir. :cool:

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looking good, Tom. Hope to see some good passes at Eagle Field. :D

27. Old28

Old28

Rocky & Dick & Tom--Thanks for looking. Still fighting my lower back problem and I don't think I am up to two races in two weeks, so I will have to put Eagle Field on the "Bucket List" for next year. That list is getting longer each week.:eek:;)

Rocky, hope you have a good meet, keep everone safe.:)

Dick, Run Hard, "shift smooth", kick some rear.:D

Tom, get back to work, need your car at the track.

28. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Don't it feel sooo good to get the wind in your face and feel your creation come to life, well done sir.
    Hope the back gets some relief soon for you.
    Nigel.

29. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrat's Tom! If someone has never built a racer from a bunch of parts and a pile of tubing, them they just don't know how great it feels when you light it up and watch it move! I put it number two after the birth of my children.

I hope to start "burnin' some rod" this winter. I'm tired of watching you guys have all of the fun.

Take care of the back and have fun at the track. :D

Roy

30. old sparks

old sparks

congrats,makes me jealous. where did you get that alternator, if thats what it is?