Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SCTA Clubs... 1948

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Gaters

Gaters

I love this shot!

The orangish/coral colored 27 T roadster with the Gaters sign sticking out of it is Kenny Parks (brother to Wally). I'm clueless on the silver Model A you're asking about but she's a beaut Clark!

There is a PR shot of this day with Wally Parks along side city officials as they joined the National Safety Council. They were surrounding a roadster if I remember correctly.

Here is the window decal that went along with the SCTA joining the council. It's official!

Attached Files:

2. Those deacals need to be repopped!

3. JRodder

JRodder
    from Joplin, MO

Although that is a Hallock windshield, that isn't my uncle's (Dick Courtney) roadster. His was black, and didn't have the pan over the front frame horns. From what I understood, the Hallock windshield frames were made in the shop class at Fullerton High School using the brass out of melted-down surplus aircraft engines, and were all used by Knight Riders club members (although I see the Strokers banner in the picture). There were some 12-14 cast originally, and my uncle made a list of who got them all - which I have. He wound up with 3, and made 3 identical roadsters with all of them, 2 of which I believe still survive. I also have a letter written by Hallock's brother to my father (both Army Air Corps pilots and Fullerton classmates) explaining what he remembered of his brother's involvement with the windshield. I'll dig that stuff back out if anyone is interested. There was also an article in Street Rodder many years ago on the subject. I know some later repops of the frame have been made, surely none as sought after as the original 14.

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Jrodder, i sent you a private message.

5. Gaters

Gaters

See...one story leads to the next, ya gotta love it here!! That's too cool.

I was looking through a couple of SCTA Racing Programs I have and found the following that relates to Ryan's original story. These are from 1948. You can see the Green Cross sticker in the front window from a photo I referenced earlier in the post.

BTW, you can see the tow bars made from wishbones on most of the cars on the left of the picture front row.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  6. THANKS all for posting this info & great photos.,

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

October '48 Hot Rod has some info in it too on page 10...

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

well heck ! my club closed up in '46 . "HOT IRONS" , but goin again today ......... steve

9. mcbay

mcbay

10. mcbay

mcbay

11. mcbay

mcbay

Not sure what just happened there.....anyway... I spoke with Bud aka Art Tremaine a couple of months ago.
    He told me the 29 was wrecked on a trip east to race....The 29 I am building has one of his windshields made
    in 1947/8 by he and Lee Grey.

12. I am so thank full that Wally Parks, and Ak Miller had the vision, and fortitude to create the SCTA so that So Cal clubs could band together and provide places like Muroc, El Mirage, and Bonneville for all that followed to enjoy the sport we love safely. The Road Runner's plaque that I am still running, 55 years after Ak Miller handed it to me, is one of my most prized possessions. Men like Ak, and the places they pioneered for speed trials, were the best possible way for a kid to grow up, and learn respect.
    Great blog Ryan!

13. mcbay

mcbay

Five years later and there is still interest....The Buck and Bohls roadster was reported destroyed in a trip from Texas to La on a trip to race. The 3 piece aluminum hood was build by Bell Auto Parts....