Register now to get rid of these ads!

RPU Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Detonator, Jun 26, 2006.

1. It's a '38 -- arguably Ford's most handsome design

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Dave!

Surfs up buddy......that is KILLER!!!
    very cool!:)

3. Rolf

Rolf

No shit, I want it ! :cool:

4. Hey Jeff -- I just put a couple of little woodies in the post to you bro. Hope they get through Kanadian Kustoms.

Rolf -- Could you keep your eye out for some clapped-out Model A windshield wingnuts at Bergstroms? The Vintique ones I've got are a little too bling-y. Thanks.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Is that a gauge in the winged bezel above the linkage?

It really is a fine piece. Thanks for sharing. I hope you will show more pictures as you reassemble. Let us in on all that special detailing as you go. please?

6. The Neophyte

The Neophyte
    from AZ

NICE! Great engine choice too. Nailheads are one of the best V8s ever made...in my humble opinion.

7. It's a St. Christopher -- just a little extra protection on the road. I stumbled across it at the LA Roadsters Father's Day swap last year. Seems like all I can afford at that event now are the trinkets.

8. That truck is KILLER man- I love the work [as usual] and that color is perfect....
    Im about complete on my 29:D parts pile -Im doin a full fendereed 29 RPU this winter as a keeper[4 banger 5 speed] even bought a new Brookville bed.
    Lets see some more finished pics when you get him done.....

9. Wow, the Detonator/Shinoda RPU! Better than the original. Got to be my favorite RPU. I think you nailed the color combination for a postwar hot rod. Nice job. Can't wait for future updates.

10. ...by the way are you eventually going to put a top on it?

11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

12. Very nice work. This is the kinda stuff that keeps me going down to the shop to plug away on my '32. Thanks for the inspiration.

13. Everyone else can stop now. The perfect RPU is well on its way to being finished.

Awesome truck.

JH

14. I'm BUSTED! Yep, a photo of the Shinoda pick-up is up on my shop wall for inspiration. That, and a photo of Jake's tub. I love 'em both. My dog's a mongrel, a cross of the two.

My dad always said a roadster isn't finished till it has a top. I'm going to build one, but getting the shape just right is going to be a challenge. My favorite tops of all time were the Porsche Speedsters -- but how do I adopt that to a boxy rpu? I'm not going to tackle it till the rpuhas been up and running awhile.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Very nice i like it a lot, I built this last year for my other half and thought you might like i look.

Steve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Take a look at this link.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82432&highlight=carson
    I built the top for my roadster pickup, and it turned out nice. If I can help in any way, let me know---Brian

Attached Files:

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Dave, how are you handling the tranny linkage?
    slave? internal slave or mechnical linkage?

I can't stop looking at this rig.:)

18. Brian -- I followed your top build-up all the way thru, it was a great tech post, and convinced me I could build my own.

Jeff - the tranny is a mid-60's Falcon Sprint toploader 4-speed. The shifter is Hurst. Adapter is Offy. The Falcon mounts the shifter forward of the Mustang version of this tranny (so it's not under my seat). Took a couple of tries, but I found and old tech guy at Hurst that finally set me up with the right stuff.

Steve -- NICE RPU! Where's this car been hiding? Can we see some shots of the interior?

19. Olson

Olson

Very cool man! Can't wait to see the rest.

Olson

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the comments Detonator, you won't have seen this one before as i live in the U.K., interior is a bit girlie as its my other half Sue.

Steve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Must be time for another look -- is it all painted and assembled yet?