Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Roaring Roadsters By Popular Vote

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 21, 2012.

1. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

And dig "Rathmans" little bumper sections on his side nerf bars, and check out the 32 with the Duvall type screen in the infield. loads of very clear details to be seen the more you watch it.

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Looks like the 32 say's "HOTROD RACES", or something close to that on it's sides...

3. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Cool video for sure!!......open wheels few to no rollbars, Racer's of that era were brave, But those flag men (standing in the middle of the track) Were just fucking crazy!!.....LOL

4. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great video Ryan! Amazing quality. Love the water pipe roll bars.
    Jim

5. Ryno...I agree, looks like Saugas Spwy to me also.
    I have some 8X10 B&W photos of Roadsters at Saugas I'll post later.

Loved this old footage, I think the roadsters only ran 2-3 years then went to Sprint Car bodies. First it was CRA...California Roadster Association, then changed to California Racing Association.
    Music is good, fits in there perfect!
    Thanks Ryan....cw.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  6. I'm really amazed on the quality of this film!

7. LDFTRBT

LDFTRBT
    from So Cal

The location of this is in Southern California and in the southern part of Riverside County. I'm not sure of the exact location but I believe it was near the current City of Murrieta. The snow capped mountain in the background is northeast of Beaumont Ca. and northwest of Palm Springs Ca.. I'll try to find out more.

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Great video.......

9. Wow...3D .Dusty ,Dangerous and Devotion.

Pretty Kool to se them sliding and really driving these cars hard.

10. 1949*john

1949*john

thank you GOD .

11. goetzcr

goetzcr

Great video. I'm always amazed to see video this clear. I guess because it's so rare. Anybody know about when this was shot? Late forties, early fifties? I dig the shots of the drivers. They look impatient and a little unsure of what do do in front of the camera.

Thanks for the post. Super cool.

12. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Very Early 1947

13. pgpoly

pgpoly

My Uncle had one of these later jalopy coupes when I was real young. A GM I think, probably had a GMC 6 in it---I don't remember it bein' a flatie---everything was in a row. Never got to see him race though--Grandma and Mom tried to keep me away. Ryan, the music was just as fun as the excellent video. Who made the music and is it available??

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That was fun to watch, and the music was perfect. Great way to spend a few minutes Sunday, while eating and waiting for my primer to dry.

Is the Brian Bass in there related to our own beloved Bass? Any other HAMB family connections to those guys?

15. 15ASedan

15ASedan

According to my Dad, who is 87 years old, he believes this track was located north of Lake Elsinore, CA. although he does not recall what the tracks name was.

16. Just so much fun to watch......and imagine what fun those guys were having!
    Fantastic track too (for the day).
    Man, if it was that simple today to go off on a Sunday afternoon and run some laps with a jalopy. No tech,no safety, just "run what ya bung"

Simple times.....
    None of them could ever imagine we'd be watching them 65 years later on our "Personal Computers" over the "internet"....

The music seems to fit just great as well
    Thanks so much for finding and posting this!
    dk

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  17. Who is the author of the first song played in the video? I like it!!

18. I first thought these guys were mostly veterans and the thought of death didn't seem to bother them much, but looking closer, I think that this was prewar. That would make these guys just nuts.

19. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Awesome-

Unbelievable.

As bitchin' as it gets.

Thanks Ryan, awesome quality.

20. I'm pretty damn sure its in so cal almost looks like it could be around el cajon aera.

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Fantastic video !

22. sub006

sub006

At first I thought the hills between La Habra and Bradbury, near Irwindale or Fontana, but all the San Diego racers made me think of the Del Mar horse track, except the big grandstands aren't there. They ran sports car races in the parking lot from the '50s 'til the '90s.

Was that the Jim Rathmann who won Indy around 1960 and went on to be a big Chevy and Cadillac dealer in Florida? If it is, he gave "sweetheart" leases on behalf of GM to the first generation or two of NASA astronauts. I remember something like new Corvettes every year for a token one dollar, plus similar deals on sedans or station wagons for their families.

23. What the HELL is with this vid anyway??
    I keep comin back and watchin and it just keeps gitting COOLER every time!

I watch this at least once a week..........wouldn't it be so cool to go back in time and
    have things so simple?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012