Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road Trip Revival: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

these responses are really good....
    me I got nothing except to say if you wanna head up to Iron Invasion on your way back - I can get a bug free cot for you to rest your head on!
    Be safe and we expect a full account of the shenanigans that will ensue.

2. autobilly

autobilly

Fear and loathing in Baltimore!
    Although it's not an original or clever answer, I've gotta say water pump. They just don't like sitting for a while.

3. 193257

I really think you guys need to come through St. L on your way home just to be on the safe side.

4. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

"And that’s where you come in… Post a reply to this thread and list the problems you think Norm and I will face on our journey. The user that comes closest to our reality on the road will win:"

Neither vehicle will experience significant "problems".

Both of you need to fill up your gas tanks EVERY 150 miles avoiding any stops in Memphis and Little Rock!

Memphis
    One or or both of you will experience shocking if not dangerous interactions with the locals, the law, environment or a concert of all three. DO NOT STOP IN MEMPHIS!

Facts - Chances of being affected by a crime in Memphis are 1 in 15. There are two of you so now your TEAM chances are 1 in 7.5! Now factor in two cool cars in same locale; WHOA THE ODDS!!! yer screwed

Leave enough room in front of you at all times, especially stop lights to take EVASIVE ACTION!

Make it through Memphis unscathed in your stone-cold mack daddy Rivs and your good until Little Rock.

Little Rock will be expecting two naive Texans... you will need a towel for the tears, blood, urine or chicken grease...

I submit the following:
    Memphis
    Little Rock

5. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

I'm thinking you will spend a small amount of time in Boston trying to figure out why you are traveling north and south at the same time. Signage on rtes 93, 128, and 3 can be challenging at best!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Quote -

Memphis
    One or or both of you will experience shocking if not dangerous interactions with the locals, the law, environment or a concert of all three. DO NOT STOP IN MEMPHIS!

Facts - Chances of being affected by a crime in Memphis are 1 in 15. There are two of you so now your TEAM chances are 1 in 7.5! Now factor in two cool cars in same locale; WHOA THE ODDS!!! yer screwed

Sounds like someone had a fun time in Memphis! Don't dispair we're
    not all that bad!

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

oh yeah -- the "Cryin' Ryan" reference in the JJ entry -- Very funny! :D

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Memphis totally sounds like my kind of place. I'll make it count!

Snipers are everywhere. Must watch my back!

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boston Riviera Road Trip Euphoria
    Connecticut Fucking Freeway Blues
    New Jersey Fucking Toll Road Blues
    Shennandoah Valley Freeway Bliss
    Southern Appalachian Mountain High
    Burnin' Rubber, Burnt Oil, Smoking Brakes, Gas Vapor & Hot Fluids Tester
    Beautiful Tennessee Waltz
    Cool Stax & Sun & Delta Memphis Vibes
    Beautiful Southwest Arkansas Come-On-Baby-You-Can-Make-It Rag
    Ain't-Nothing-Like-Headin'-Home Two-Step Shout
    Dripping Springs Euphoria

. . . and if you give me Weed, Whites, and Wine, and you show me a sign . . .

Happy Trails Boss

10. I see no issues at all making it to Baltimore, the Riviera is a great road trip car. It will glide along the highway like a hover craft. Gas station attendants will give you free gas, restaurants will have private booths waiting, woman will throw their panties at you and will slip their hotel keys into your sweaty palms. They will be waiting at every hotel you stay at in hopes of bedding down with the Texas Two. However as you get close to Baltimore you will feel an un easiness in the air, the kind of angst one feels when entering a town knowing there is a bounty on your head in those parts. You are being watched!
    <O:p</O:p
    More and more you will notice odd looking individuals looking to get a glimpse of the ever elusive Ryan. You will be overrun by groupies and paparazzi, most of them unfit for polite company. Many still pissed off from being snubbed on your last visit, but yet inexplicably drawn to you like moths to a flame, yearning to be cool by association. If only they could get a picture with you, or better yet, an autographed photo, a lock of hair, an article of clothing, and maybe, just maybe get to hang out with you and the posse from Texas…………But I digress.

Happy trails Ryan, enjoy the ride, I'm jealous. See you in Baltimore.

11. McTullis

McTullis

That long-sleeve shirt will look good on ya.

My prediction - No problem with the cars, but one of you will find something on the side of the road for sale and you'll have a debate on how to now get THAT home.

12. bad gas and leaky brake cylinder

13. I should probably be disqualified from the competition (since I've had unrestricted and unobserved access to the vehicles in question for some time now. Plenty of opportunity to make any prophecies "self-fulfilling"!)

I see Slick Willy stole my one real idea of a rear window being stuck down in a rain storm.

It's possible that you could arrive at General Gow's, and be shown the wonderful new Nailhead I've just installed in my '30 Model A frame...then wonder why your new beauty won't even turn over.

OK, official prediction you will be stopped at least once by the local constabulary, who simply want a closer look at two really cool old Buicks.

Have a Blast!

14. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Ryan,
    I can overnight you a handful of "what could possibly go wrong" ACME bumper stickers to ward off all evil on your road trip. Just say the word.

Jealous, very jealous.

15. The brake pedal return spring will brake on the way out of Boston and you will drive the whole way home not knowing your brake lights were on the entire time! Damn but I want to go too!

16. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I can attest! Driving the Suburban back from MO, I stopped in Memphis with Boy Wonder for some BBQ, walked across the road to take a pic under the big neon pig, and on the way back, while standing in the paved median, I got hit by a drunk who was driving down the center of the median, without his headlights on. After I picked myself up off the ground, walked back to his car and retrieved my Atlanta Braves hat from his now-cracked windshield, he hauled ass. (funniest line I've ever heard was from Boy Wonder: "What was all that about?" He hit me with his car! "Oh. I WONDERED what you were doing laying on his hood.")
    The fucking cop decided that since I declined medical treatment (nothing was broken just a badly sprained ankle and lots of bruising on my legs, ass and elbows) and no property damage was done (despite my busted camera and lens) that no crime had been committed, while the camera was a civil matter... "and the police don't get involved in civil matters. Good night."

Now the only time I stop in Memphis is on road trips to empty all my trash and take a shit.

-Brad

17. phb

phb

It's adventure travel. Something will break, but it'll get fixed, maybe in a backyard, with borrowed tools. Grease the speedo cables or the squeak will drive you nuts. Photographer Jerrod McCabe recorded his Montana-to Massachusetts trip in a brand new-old 1970 F150 in a series of post on Autoliterate last December. My favorite road trip was Banff Alberta to the Big Bend, Texas in a 1951 Chevy grain truck. Blue highway the whole way: couldn't do interstate speeds.

18. striper

striper

This is what is going to happen:

Some cop is going to pull you over for no apparent reason. You are going to lose your shit on him and he is going to arrest you and throw you in jail.

19. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Funny!

I'd bring a carb rebuild kit and one of those V-belt kits that can be adjusted for different lengths : McMaster #6173K37, also one of those cargo belts with hooks so you can tow each other (at least to a safe place) and a couple feet of wire so you can tie your exhaust when it falls down or make a jump wire in case a fuse or something electrical goes wrong.
    But I honestly think you will be fine and have a good ride back home.

20. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

First of all HAVE FUN! Probably be hard not to.....

Now, because I'm game to win some swag, I think you will experience some overheating and a flat tire.

I'm trying not to jinx you and I imagine the cars are pretty well sorted to begin with.

21. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Hey Ryan
    I hope you have a safe trip, I neglected to add that to my earlier post. Probably the closest you'll be to my neck of the woods for a while. Too bad there isn't anything going on where we could meet up.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Well, what a timely post. A friend just drove my O/T '67 Vista Cruiser from Virginia to Florida and had a few thrills. I just bought the car a couple of weeks previous. Here's what he encountered:
    On the test drive last week on a curvy stretch of road, all of a sudden Bang, and the right rear was dragging. Turns out, the axle bearing had been replaced but the dummies forgot to re-install the lock retainer plate so the axle came out. Luckily, no body damage but the scraping ground off the shock mount and the bottom of the backing plate.
    Then the battery got kinda' sketchy, so he replaced that.
    Then, on the way here on Sunday the alternator went out in South Carolina. Replaced that and regulator in the parking lot.
    Then the wipers quit working.
    That was what he encountered on this trip. Oh yeah, once he got it here we parked it in the shop only to find big puddles of oil, power steering and trans fluid on the floor the next day. The 850 mile trip at 80MPH really made the weaknesses show up. But, he has an adventure to talk about and I got my new ride here so who's complaining?
    Have a fun and safe trip. Sounds like a hoot.

23. good luck, have fun, be safe, and take lots of pics for us watching and living our vacation thru you guys.

24. bb1970

bb1970

Headlight motor on the '65 takes a shit. And Ryan gets bloody knuckles trying to yank the arms away from the dead ass motor to manually open the headlight doors. Or one car will have vibration issues about 60 mph. Then you'll learn the joys of a two piece drive shaft in a x-framed first gen. Riviera. I hope you have absolutely ZERO trouble. It's a shame you're not coming through K.C.. We could have a Riviera cruise night at Oklahoma Joe's.

25. texastramp

texastramp

The ACME bumper stickers strike me as funny this morning ............

By the time these TX travelers head for home after the weekend there'll probably be a caravan to TX to watch what happens next. The big problem will be caravan trying to keep up.

26. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

travel safe and good luck!......we'll see you in Baltimore

27. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Fellas: Is it too late to send you guys a couple of RediRads for the ride home?

Wouldn't it be great for YOU to be in control of the soundtrack (vs. the bile on broadcast radio)?

PM me if there's time...we can overnite 'em to the addy of your next nite's stay.

Either way, enjoy the drive.

28. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Have fun ,safe trip and if you need any help in the Clifton NJ area I'm here for ya.

29. TexasDart

TexasDart

are we there yet...where's them Buicks? :)

30. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

hopefully the only thing that happens is you leave your left blinker on for 2000 miles!! any problems in ct, give me a call, 203-814-7079.